C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a buyback car on Saturday (questions)

Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

^^^ Agreed.. Pass on this one.. Don't buy somebody's problem..
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

what happens if your not happy with the car You will have a lot of trouble selling it with that title Even GM dealers will walk away on a trade in
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

He should have paper work for the reason it was a buyback. Ask for the paper work as it should say what was done to repair it. In some cases it may say no repairs were done cause there was nothing to repair.

Seat belt may sound to some as not believable, reality is some people just can't sell a car, they complain about a simple issue as a way to get out of the burden of the car they own.

Dealers have only a certain amount of time where they have to be able to make repairs. If the owner keeps coming back saying its not repaired and the dealer can't replicate or make repairs GM is obligated to buy it back.

The owner is free of the burden of a car they may have gotten themselves in over there head on.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Any C7 for sale in the ranges you’re quoting (and mileage) has more problems than a previous faulty seat belt...
Old 02-15-2018, 11:11 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,144 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by HS Vette
He should have paper work for the reason it was a buyback. Ask for the paper work as it should say what was done to repair it. In some cases it may say no repairs were done cause there was nothing to repair.

Seat belt may sound to some as not believable, reality is some people just can't sell a car, they complain about a simple issue as a way to get out of the burden of the car they own.

Dealers have only a certain amount of time where they have to be able to make repairs. If the owner keeps coming back saying its not repaired and the dealer can't replicate or make repairs GM is obligated to buy it back.

The owner is free of the burden of a car they may have gotten themselves in over there head on.
In many if not most states it is not that simple. The standard is usually three visits for the same problem without it being repaired. Usually there is also a component of being in the dealers hands for so many days for repairs that is also grounds for a buyback.

Once the state's requirements are met, there is usually a hearing in front of a board appointed by the state. This board will examine the paperwork and hear testimony from the manufacturer and usually the plaintiffs attorney. The board's members are usually familiar with the auto business and are not easily convinced there is a true problem without good reason. In very few instances would a person just looking for a way out of the car prevail. Simply having a dealer write a repair order without some proof of a problem is not going to be adequate grounds. A real problem demonstrated is going to be needed.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
And why would you even consider buying a buyback car? BTW, it’s called a LEMON.

Do you seriously believe GM bought a car back for a seat issue! Another hint is this car has had 3 owners already. That would make me very suspicious.

As for me, I would never buy a buyback car even at a steep discount.

Run.....

Ive had 3 back to back lemons... as said it isnt one issue its a royal pos that cannot be fixed.
Pass on it and look elsewhere than fb for advice

Last edited by cv67; 02-15-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

And why would you even consider buying a buyback car? BTW, it’s called a LEMON.

Do you seriously believe GM bought a car back for a seat issue! Another hint is this car has had 3 owners already. That would make me very suspicious.

As for me, I would never buy a buyback car even at a steep discount.

Run.....
..Everything you said except I would add, " Run like HELL and don't look back for more reasons than I care to count"
Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Deadrise
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronsonf
I have now decided not to purchase the car. The guy seems awesome, the car was immaculate on the outside and inside, but I'm going to spend a few thousand more on my dream color, package, and interior since I'm going to have this car for the next 5 years minimum. I think I made an impulse decision after panicking since I'm without my corvette for the first time in 5 years.

PM me if you want me to pm you the listing. It was almost impossible to find and seems like a bargain given that the previous 2 owners didn't pay a discount for the buyback title. Honestly is a beautiful car in person.
SMART move!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

Buyback for a seatbelt, c’mon! That’s the best one I ever heard.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pisswilly:
Maxie2U (02-15-2018), Skid Row Joe (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 PM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

FWIW, My C6 was a buyback that the dealer mentioned as I was signing the papers, The car was great and never gave me any problems, That is until I tried to sell it. The bank would not give a loan to a potential buyer. I took a pretty big loss for what I could have gotten from it if it was a perfect car. I would never purchase a "Buyback" again. To many Vettes out there for great prices.
The following 2 users liked this post by georgehafe:
Hopper12 (02-16-2018), SyberSaint (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 PM
VettNoob
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't care what some of you pre maddonas say, if the deal is right take it. I bought a 2016 z06 buy back with 7300 miles on it. I got the remainder of the warranty, plus I bought an extended warranty. I am not looking back. Sometimes this site is cancer! Flame away who cares!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The thing is one person's Lemon can be another person's perfect car. It is amazing how many people have trouble with a car that is their own fault and not the car's fault and when a new person gets the car there aren't any problems. Another thing is the car is fixed and the owner has a snit about things and won't accept anything but a buy back.

Lemon doesn't always mean lemon when it comes to a car that was turned back in, the previous owner may have been an A$$hole that couldn't be satisfied in any shape form. By not looking, not doing your due diligence you may pass up the best deal of your life.

Bill
First time I ever heard a lemon car which is also a buyback car could magically become a reliable car for the FOURTH owner. LOL

There is a reason three people got rid of it.

And the discount on this buyback lemon would be nobody’s best deal of their life, there are many great no problem cars out there for the same (or better) discount.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-16-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Skid Row Joe (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly you want to buy it regardless of the high percentage of feedback saying you should not.

So why did you even ask for input since you clearly intend to ignore it.

Good luck with your damaged title buyback lemon, you’ll need it.
lol
Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Get a warranty...which is a few k
Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

If saving $6K bucks is a way to get into this, you may not be ready for a car in this price range.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Man, NOW I want to see that VIS report.

That's the 'record of truth' behind this car's state. Has anyone seen it ?
Skid Row Joe (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,060 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by VettNoob
I don't care what some of you pre maddonas say, if the deal is right take it. I bought a 2016 z06 buy back with 7300 miles on it. I got the remainder of the warranty, plus I bought an extended warranty. I am not looking back. Sometimes this site is cancer! Flame away who cares!
Hi ya VettNoob. Not going to flame at all but, in this case, I think you're over-reacting a bit. The OP asked for opinions, and the CF members provided what I believe are some great considerations and their opinion to the questions/comments the OP posed in various posts. Some suggesting it could be a good deal, most not.

While I sometimes find there are a few knucklehead comments where someone gets a bit personal, I've found this forum to be very helpful and entertaining. I really appreciate the fact that members of CF take the time to share their thoughts and knowledge.

To the OP: I think you made a wise choice to pass, for a lot of reasons. Lots of options, and I hope you find and enjoy the right C7 at a good price.
Bronsonf (02-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a buyback car on Saturday (questions)

Old 02-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Hi ya VettNoob. Not going to flame at all but, in this case, I think you're over-reacting a bit. The OP asked for opinions, and the CF members provided what I believe are some great considerations and their opinion to the questions/comments the OP posed in various posts. Some suggesting it could be a good deal, most not.

While I sometimes find there are a few knucklehead comments where someone gets a bit personal, I've found this forum to be very helpful and entertaining. I really appreciate the fact that members of CF take the time to share their thoughts and knowledge.

To the OP: I think you made a wise choice to pass, for a lot of reasons. Lots of options, and I hope you find and enjoy the right C7 at a good price.
The fact of the matter the OP didn’t ask questions he asked for advise which he has chosen to ignore or discount with every one of responses.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:26 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,586 Posts

^^^ ... except he did decide to heed the advice and decided not to purchase the car unless I missed something since post #32.
The following 3 users liked this post by sTz:
Bronsonf (02-16-2018), DALE#3 (02-17-2018), Hopper12 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ ... except he did decide to heed the advice and decided not to purchase the car unless I missed something since post #32.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a buyback car on Saturday (questions)