Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Yes, I know, tons of threads already, that's the issue - too many to look through.

Looking at replacing my stock tires with the A/S 3+ (non runflat). Reading a lot of things about them being very noisy. Anyone have experience? Any noisier than stock?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

They are a lot quieter than stock and provide a better ride, IMO. Had them since September. Discount Tire has good pricing.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
DAC17 (02-15-2018), LbulletM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I highly recommend them.
The following users liked this post:
LbulletM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:29 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mschuyler
They are a lot quieter than stock and provide a better ride, IMO. Had them since September. Discount Tire has good pricing.
Haha, yup! They have their $100 off sale going right now for President's Day.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Mine seem Quieter. The other differences between oem summer ZP (stock tire) and the all season non zp is a softer ride with the AS and, very importantly, the AS will not grip exactly like the summer only max performance tire. AS grip is not bad, mind you, it's just that it's not the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcinla:
kenownr (03-09-2018), LbulletM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Most people won't notice the difference in grip even during the summer. If you're crazy on the street you might, but the track is the only place you'd safely see a significant difference.

However for me, the AS3+ is all about the phenomenally better grip when it's cooler. I have both mounted sets, and run AS3+ from Nov-Apr and the PSS from May-Oct.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
DAC17 (02-15-2018), LbulletM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcinla
Mine seem Quieter. The other differences between oem summer ZP (stock tire) and the all season non zp is a softer ride with the AS and, very importantly, the AS will not grip exactly like the summer only max performance tire. AS grip is not bad, mind you, it's just that it's not the same.
Originally Posted by Foosh
Most people won't notice the difference in grip even during the summer. If you're crazy on the street you might, but the track is the only place you'd safely see a significant difference.

However for me, the AS3+ is all about the phenomenally better grip when it's cooler. I have both mounted sets, and run AS3+ from Nov-Apr and the PSS from May-Oct.
I daily drive mine, so I'm mostly concerned with the wet, cold, and light snow (Tennessee) performance. I've read pretty much everywhere that the AS3's are good in all 3 of those conditions.

I do tend to push mine every once in a while on my curvy, hour long commute, but I don't think I go over around 0.65g with cruise control on, so these should work fine.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My recent thread with a review of them is here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-3-review.html

They're great tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
l.i. bruce fan (02-15-2018), LbulletM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve_R
My recent thread with a review of them is here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-3-review.html

They're great tires.
Perfect!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

foosh is pretty bright from time to time and this is one of them

I also found them to be a little quieter Jeff
LbulletM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LbulletM
Yes, I know, tons of threads already, that's the issue - too many to look through.

Looking at replacing my stock tires with the A/S 3+ (non runflat). Reading a lot of things about them being very noisy. Anyone have experience? Any noisier than stock?
I put the A/S 3+ on my wife's Lexus and they are so noisy I am replacing them. The noise was so bad I took the car to the repair shop thinking the wheel bearings had gone bad. Initially, the service tech felt the same way but the following day when I picked up the car i was told the wheel bearings were fine and the tires were the culprit. He mentioned the A/S 3+ have a lot of noise and he does not recommend them.

So, I will be replacing my C7 tires in about 6 months (depending on how much driving done between now and then) and will not be considering the A/S 3+ tires. Still have not decided if I replace with OEM tires or another type, but know what I do not want.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:14 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
I put the A/S 3+ on my wife's Lexus and they are so noisy I am replacing them. The noise was so bad I took the car to the repair shop thinking the wheel bearings had gone bad. Initially, the service tech felt the same way but the following day when I picked up the car i was told the wheel bearings were fine and the tires were the culprit. He mentioned the A/S 3+ have a lot of noise and he does not recommend them.

So, I will be replacing my C7 tires in about 6 months (depending on how much driving done between now and then) and will not be considering the A/S 3+ tires. Still have not decided if I replace with OEM tires or another type, but know what I do not want.
If you want a tire that is quieter than the AS3+, I highly recommend the Continental DWS06. It is NOT a runflat but offers a nice blend of decent handling and a quiet ride. Its cold weather performance is exemplary and is a good performer in light snow. Read the reviews on Tirerack.com. I have a set on my C7 and a set on my wife's Lexus RX.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Agree, those are great tires as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 PM
Hollingswerth
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

I second that regarding the Conti DWS06's. I've run a couple of sets previously and they were excellent tires.

Presently, I’m running a set of A/S 3+ on my wife’s IS350 AWD, and haven’t really noticed them being noisy. Regardless, when Michelin comes out with the all-seasons in GS/Z06 sizes, I am buying a set immediately. The plan is to mount them on a set of dedicated rims and do exactly like Foosh….run the all-seasons from Nov – Mar, and then put on the MPSS’s from Apr – Oct…based on where I live….and have the ability to drive the car the way I want year round.

With the MPSS’s, I’m constantly having to baby the car any time the temp is like 50 degrees or less due to inadequate grip.

Plus, on those days when the temp is in the 20’s or below, I worry about the MPSS’s freezing as they sit out in my workplace parking lot for 12 straight hours and then cracking/damaging them when I first roll on them to drive back home. On days like this, I arrange ride into work with buddies and the car stays in my nice warm garage…but it is a pain in the *** to always have to be monitoring the weather in the winter.

Amen when the Michelin A/S 3+ ZP all-seasons are available in my sizes!
Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Look at the BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S also, I have been running them over a year and love them.. They are WAY Quieter than the PSS as the Comp 2 are non runflat, I think the AS3+ may have a little better traction but I have never had the AS3+ so I can not compare... The comp 2 have about 90% of the traction of the PSS during the summer and 150% of the traction in the winter

You will also love the cost compared to the other choices...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:53 AM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
It seems like this is the consensus on non-Vettes, which also spurred my initial question (practically all of the negative tire reviews are for noise). Seems like on the Vette, they are still quieter than the stock tires. Especially since I will be going non-runflat.

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
If you want a tire that is quieter than the AS3+, I highly recommend the Continental DWS06. It is NOT a runflat but offers a nice blend of decent handling and a quiet ride. Its cold weather performance is exemplary and is a good performer in light snow. Read the reviews on Tirerack.com. I have a set on my C7 and a set on my wife's Lexus RX.
Not a problem with the runflat situation, I plan on getting the AS3+'s as non-runflats anyways. I did have the Continental DWs (non S) on my C6, and while I didn't hate them, they wore pretty quickly and were scary in the rain above ~60mph. Obviously the DWS would be a whole different level of wet handling. I'll probably end up with these eventually, but while the wife's not complaining about the 4 figure tag on my first set of replacements, I'm going to try out the AS3's haha.

Originally Posted by Hollingswerth
I second that regarding the Conti DWS06's. I've run a couple of sets previously and they were excellent tires.

Presently, I’m running a set of A/S 3+ on my wife’s IS350 AWD, and haven’t really noticed them being noisy. Regardless, when Michelin comes out with the all-seasons in GS/Z06 sizes, I am buying a set immediately. The plan is to mount them on a set of dedicated rims and do exactly like Foosh….run the all-seasons from Nov – Mar, and then put on the MPSS’s from Apr – Oct…based on where I live….and have the ability to drive the car the way I want year round.

With the MPSS’s, I’m constantly having to baby the car any time the temp is like 50 degrees or less due to inadequate grip.

Plus, on those days when the temp is in the 20’s or below, I worry about the MPSS’s freezing as they sit out in my workplace parking lot for 12 straight hours and then cracking/damaging them when I first roll on them to drive back home. On days like this, I arrange ride into work with buddies and the car stays in my nice warm garage…but it is a pain in the *** to always have to be monitoring the weather in the winter.

Amen when the Michelin A/S 3+ ZP all-seasons are available in my sizes!
Haha I feel you. Daily drove mine all winter (Tennessee) because I'm hesitant to pay $1000+ to get my truck's leaking transmission fixed when the parts are only $50. On the other hand, it has the Allison 1000, so I'm more hesitant to drop it myself.

I think the temperature was as low as 6 one morning. Anywhere above 12, the tire temperature gauge would show warm about half way into my hour long commute.

The only issue was when I had to get to a meeting on a freezing rain day. Got to the meeting fine. The way home immediately after the meeting a half hour later was less successful. Car ended up parked on the side of the road for a week........
Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

No comparison to the DW and the DWS06 in wet/snow. I put the DWS06's on the Vette with only 150 miles on the car (purchased the car during Labor Day sale) due to cooler temps. I ran these tires on my 2015 Mustang GT and loved them. I was also considering the BFG's, but the guy at Discount Tire said he'd go with the DSW06's as he's found them to be a better overall tire.

When I found out that you can get the AS/3+ in a ZP, I've been thinking about switching so I can take the tire repair kit out of the back of the car, and wouldn't have to worry about taking out a rim as easily as with the standard tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

35+K miles on Non-run flat A/S 3+, nice ride and quite as opposed to the OEM's. I will be looking for my second set sometime this summer (8 to 10K miles). For an all around street tire, they are a great choice; decent grip and good mileage life.....just keep the front alignment flat; less than -.5 Camber and they will wear even across the tread.
LbulletM (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,885 Likes on 793 Posts

Put them on my 2008 C6 last year replacing the original factory issue. Tremendous difference...quiet, smooth....highly recommend.

LbulletM (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hisvett
35+K miles on Non-run flat A/S 3+, nice ride and quite as opposed to the OEM's. I will be looking for my second set sometime this summer (8 to 10K miles). For an all around street tire, they are a great choice; decent grip and good mileage life.....just keep the front alignment flat; less than -.5 Camber and they will wear even across the tread.
Ohhh, good to know on the alignment. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+