Sponsored by:

Who can do my brake pad swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
I am very appreciative of all of the help I am receiving here.

Thank you, and keep it coming if you have more ideas!
OP. Please find someone who knows what they are doing. Your wife is right you got a $100k car think what she would say if you slipped a jack and did a few 1000s in damage!

Here’s a tip. Go to the local Napa and ask them who they recommend. They know all the good independent shops. Frankly I’d not want some kid working on it at Goodyear.

But I would be shocked if the dealer would not do it.

And it’s nice if a friend does it but again what if something happens?

It’s such a cheap change go to a qualified mechanic.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
OP. Please find someone who knows what they are doing. Your wife is right you got a $100k car think what she would say if you slipped a jack and did a few 1000s in damage!

Here’s a tip. Go to the local Napa and ask them who they recommend. They know all the good independent shops. Frankly I’d not want some kid working on it at Goodyear.

But I would be shocked if the dealer would not do it.

And it’s nice if a friend does it but again what if something happens?

It’s such a cheap change go to a qualified mechanic.
I guess I should break down and order the pucks, because I'm guessing that - like the experience I had yesterday - many local shops do not have the proper lift to raise my Z up without damaging the side skirts.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:43 AM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I watched the video and as soon as the guy started music kicked in. There was not verbal description of what he was doing.
I've seen several "how to" videos that do this. I don't get it. What's the point of music when you should be talking through a step by step?
Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

So, my question is: if I take it to my local Chevy dealer, will they also refuse to switch them because of insurance? If so, I will have to find somebody around central Ohio who will help me out.

Managerman has offered (said that he did his own), so maybe I will take him up on his offer!

Thoughts and suggestions?
​​​Disclose your location, offer to get your hands dirty, and a case of beer of their variety to someone that helps you switch them. I bet you get a taker.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Call some dealers. Problem solved. I’m in canton but buy my cars from Dave gill on broad. Always accommodating folks.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Be sure to ask the Chevy dealer if they're willing to install non-OEM pads. My local dealer wouldn't do it. I ended up doing it myself, it was actually really easy. Invest in a couple of jacks and some jacking pucks and you can do it. It wasn't hard at all. Tons of YouTube videos to guide you.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Or you call the dealer and they'll say "sure, we'll do it" and then quote you some crazy number that makes it very clear they really don't WANT to do it.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

Buy the pucks and pads at the same time.
It truly takes more time to jack the car up and remove/install the tire/rim than swap pads.
Prep the pads with the supplied grease before hand.

I didn't time myself but it seemed like a 2 hr. Job.

It also gives you a chance to really clean the barrels on the wheels and add a coat or 2 of wax.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
Buy the pucks and pads at the same time.
It truly takes more time to jack the car up and remove/install the tire/rim than swap pads.
Prep the pads with the supplied grease before hand.

I didn't time myself but it seemed like a 2 hr. Job.

It also gives you a chance to really clean the barrels on the wheels and add a coat or 2 of wax.
I guess that explains why Mythird1 paid his dealer about $200 to do his swap.

Is that the going labor rate at Chevy dealerships now - $100/hour?

Old 02-17-2018, 08:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by dyoung
You should also invest in a set of jacking pucks, either permanent or removable. Never know when they may be needed.
Buy 4 pads and put them in the rear compartment in case:

1) You have a flat and need a tire repaired/replaced.

2) You go to a Chevy dealer to have the oil changed etc. Oh the dealer may have bought jacking pads but than the mechanic has to go to the parts department, check them out and return them when finished! Good mechanics work on commission and may not take the time. May use some wood or just risk cracking your rocker panels-you may not see it as it's under the car! The Mechanics helpers who often work the oil change bay has no idea they are needed!

3) May want to jack up your car yourself!

If you decide you want to change your own, this How To pic/test I made of my Grand Sport pad replacement may be useful (same brakes as a Z06.) It tells you why and how to do it step by step. However, after reading you may return the Chinese Powerstop and buy US made Carbotech 1521 pads as I did BUT in my case after 900 miles and found problems so did not get my money back!
http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 02-17-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

OP where are you located? I'm in the Chicago area and will swap them out in 20 min in my driveway. It's really super easy. Just put all new pads, rotors and calipers on my neighbors grand Cherokee in my garage.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 AM
DGA3
Drifting

I'm in central Ohio - a suburb of Columbus.

When putting the wheels back on, don't the lug nuts have to be torqued to a certain measurement?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Yes 100ft pounds. You can get a decent one at harbor freight. Actually you could get all the tools and jack from there for less than the dealer will charge you to swap them out. If you ran into problems which you shouldn't I'm sure one of us could talk you through the process. The hardest part is finding and area to bed in the new pads!!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
Buy 4 pads and put them in the rear compartment in case:

1) You have a flat and need a tire repaired/replaced.

2) You go to a Chevy dealer to have the oil changed etc. Oh the dealer may have bought jacking pads but than the mechanic has to go to the parts department, check them out and return them when finished! Good mechanics work on commission and may not take the time. May use some wood or just risk cracking your rocker panels-you may not see it as it's under the car! The Mechanics helpers who often work the oil change bay has no idea they are needed!

3) May want to jack up your car yourself!

If you decide you want to change your own, this How To pic/test I made of my Grand Sport pad replacement may be useful (same brakes as a Z06.) It tells you why and how to do it step by step. However, after reading you may return the Chinese Powerstop and buy US made Carbotech 1521 pads as I did BUT in my case after 900 miles and found problems so did not get my money back!
http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf
Wow - your instructions are very informative and detailed. Thank you.

As for the pucks - so you keep yours in the back of your Vette? I take it then, that you do not recommend the "snap-in" type that remain in place and are not removed when finished?

Also, I wish I had heard the bit about copper being in the Powerstop pads before I bought them on Amazon. I hadn't heard that, and many guys on this forum recommended the Powerstops. They never mentioned anything about their rotors taking on a brownish color.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Rondog
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the pucks, tools, garage, and located in Lancaster. If want to drive down, I'll install them for you for free! I put a set on my 16 Z06 the first week I had the car. Willing to help out a fellow enthusiast.
DGA3 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:33 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rondog
I have the pucks, tools, garage, and located in Lancaster. If want to drive down, I'll install them for you for free! I put a set on my 16 Z06 the first week I had the car. Willing to help out a fellow enthusiast.
Wow! That's great news.

Temps today (Saturday) will not get above 40 degrees, but looking ahead . . . . . they will be anywhere from 40+-60 degrees, so if you have some time, I'd love to pay you a visit!

Timewise, I am extremely flexible, so I can work around your schedule.

P.S. I would prefer sometime during the day with sunlight, because - as you know - there are tons of potholes around central Ohio these days!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Rondog
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Sent you a PM, call me when the weather fits your schedule.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Wow - your instructions are very informative and detailed. Thank you.

As for the pucks - so you keep yours in the back of your Vette? I take it then, that you do not recommend the "snap-in" type that remain in place and are not removed when finished?

Also, I wish I had heard the bit about copper being in the Powerstop pads before I bought them on Amazon. I hadn't heard that, and many guys on this forum recommended the Powerstops. They never mentioned anything about their rotors taking on a brownish color.
Thanks, perhaps more detail than some need, but like a newspaper, don't have to read it all in detail!

First: With side skirts the leave in pads may not be high enough. That is especially true if you use your own jack. For the Grand Sport I bought the one pictured below from a Forum Vendor, Reverse Logic. They are unique and if you are concerned the dealer, tire store etc will not use them even if instructed, you can install them semi-permanently for a trip to a dealer etc. Remove when you get home. Or just keep them in the rear compartment and hand to the service person when you bring it in. You can google and look on their website.

Second: As you noted from the PDF, because of the very low price I also bought the PowerStop pads after having 3 years of successful use of the Carbotech 1521 pads on my Z51. In my case it was cold pad stopping performance I use every day when leaving my home that was my biggest concern. Then saw a forum member post a pic showing his year old PowerStop pads turned his rotors brown! In 900 miles I had hard brown "stuff" in my grooves. Not sure if that was copper or iron but it wasn't good! After many thousand miles with the Carbotech 1521 pads, my everyday somewhat unique requirement of needing an aggressive stop soon after entering a 4 lane, 65 mph traffic highway is back to being great and providing very confident stops.

Many forum members who don't have that unique stopping requirement are satisfied with the performance.

Great product. They are a Forum vendor: http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-pads...0&sort=nameAsc

Last edited by JerryU; 02-17-2018 at 11:13 AM.
DGA3 (02-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Who can do my brake pad swap?