Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

OP- what is your current ride. If it's not super high hp, you might be surprised how fast the stingrays is.
The following users liked this post:
Brian McCasland (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

do it if you can live with pops he wont care
Old 02-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

THANK YOU guys for all the kind words. My current ride is a 2017 Hyundai Tucson and I traded my 17 camaro for it due to the crappy weather in Watertown New York. And I am painfully regretting it. I’ve alwasy wanted the c7 when it came out I think the new design and just eveything about the car is amazing. I’ve done some research and my budget will be roughly between 15 to 20 grand as a down payment for the corvette. I was interested in the z51 package due to the bigger rims and aero package it’s supposed to come with. But being my budget isn’t that much and I’m not just (settling) for a car just because I want one. I did that for my camaro and regretted not getting the v8. This will be my first v8 vehicle that I’ve personally owned . I’ve owned a few mustangs and a 15 camaro and 17 camaro but like I said I’m interested in the corvette . I just really don’t know if the sting ray will be worth the money for the power or if I should save for a c7 zo6. But being my first corvette maybe the z51 package ? I would like to have a suede steering wheel. I know I can get an aftermarket corvette one but rather would just have that in the car as well as interior lighting
Old 02-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Billy346
I bought my first fast car when I was 19, so I know how you feel! Here are a few thoughts from my own experience:

Like you, I worked crazy hours when I was young. I didn't like to take vacations, and I didn't spend all my money at the bar, so I had a fast car. If you are considering a C7 Corvette, but you are unsure of what options you want, here is what I would do:

1. Watch YouTube videos of the various C7 models. There are probably at least 50 or 100 really good videos explaining the options and various trim levels of the C7 Corvette. Motor Trend does a really nice video of the Z51 when the C7 came out back in 2014. I think they also have videos that feature the Grand Sport and Z06. I watch alot of YouTube to learn about my various hobbies, and it helped me figure out what I wanted.

2. Go to chevrolet.com and use the "build and price" feature on the various Corvette models. This will give you an idea for the various options on the car and how they affect the looks of the car, as well as the price. (Most Corvette models are going for about $10K-$12K less than the sticker price if you know when and where to buy, so keep that in mind when looking at the MSRP on the build and price sites.)

3. Go to kbb.com and nadaguide.com. These are pricing guides that will help you determine the approximate used value of any cars that you will be looking at. These sites have a "build and price" feature too, where you can select the model year, trim level, and various options and mileage and see how that affects the price. This site will help you get an idea for the used price of these cars.

4. Go to AutoTrader.com and search for a specific car that you want within 500 miles of your location. Skip the first one or two pages because those are mostly people who purchased the right to be on the first one or two pages and are asking way too much for their cars. The best deals on used cars are in the middle pages of the results. Ignore the last one or two pages as well. These are usually sketchy private sellers, flood damaged cars, lemons, and who knows what else.

5. Once you have what you want narrowed down, go out and drive a few. This will tell you what you like. I'll warn you though. If you drive one, you'll catch the fever, so don't drive until you've researched the cars and know what you want and can afford. Get ready to be impressed. Even a base Stingray is a FAST car. The Z06 is mind bogglingly fast.

6. Before you get dead set on a C7, check out the C5 Z06. Before I bought my C7, I was considering a C5 Z06. (And would have been happy with one if I bought it.) . I've driven a few of them, and can tell you that they will perform beyond your expectations. A low-mileage garage queen owned by Grandpa will run about $25K to $28K, and will perform similarly to a Stingray. If you don't believe me, please just take my word for it. Before you drive a C7, find a low-mileage C5 Z06 at a used car lot and take it for a ride. The LS6 engine is smooth and powerful. It only makes 400 horsepower to the LT1's 460, BUT, the C5 only weighs 3100 pounds, that's 300 pounds less than a C7. The C5 is simpler without all of the tech gadgets and LED readouts. It's a simple, pure driver's car.

That's about all I have. Best of luck in your search. And again, before you look into the C7 in earnest, check out the C5 Z06. I think you will thank me.
thank you so much this helps me out A lot. I thought about a c5 and c6 but I personally want the c7 I think the new styling is to kill for. I like all corvettes but the c7 really stands out to me. I’m thinking maybe a z51 2 lt package I think that’s has interior colors and a few other things I’d like but I really want a suede steering wheel I just think it would be cool to have that in my package as well . I just hope the stingray is plenty of power don’t want to spend too much in mods when the zo6 has 650 horse
Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 AM
K2500Z71
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats Brian! You mentioned that you live in Watertown, NY so something to consider is that you’ll need to switch to AS tires if you plan drive it year round. GM has a TSB out warning that the stock summer only tires will crack if the vehicle is moved when the temps are below 20 degrees.

I just ordered my first Vette this week and like you, struggled with all of the choices. In the end I went with a 7 speed, 3LT Stingray convertible with the NPP performance exhaust, aero panel (need a front plate in NY and I am not drilling holes in the bumper to mount it), battery maintainer (not driving it in the winter months).

I passed on Z51 because:
1. I wanted a comfortable ride
2. I don’t intend to ever track the car
3. I didn’t want to spend the $ on MSRC to make the ride more comfortable than the regular Z51 setup. Shelling out $500 each to replace the MSRC shocks down the road was a consideration too.

I went with a convertible because:
1. People report that it is much quieter than the coupe
2. I tried removing and replacing the roof panel on a coupe and found it to be enough of a PITA that I probably would never do it. Pushing a button was much easier.
3. It’s a summer car for me and I’ll want to experience as much open air motoring as I can (at least what little summer we get here in the Southern Tier of NY)

I went with a 3LT because:
1. I wanted the Spice Red interior which is only available on the 3LT
2. I wanted all of the features such as heated/cooled seats, Heads-Up display, etc. (these come with the 2LT also... the 3LT just adds a higher grade of leather and more of it, plus some microfiber trim)
3. It includes the Navigation and Performance Data recorder (you can add as a stand-alone option on a 2LT though)

I ordered rather than buying off the lot because I wanted to get exactly what I wanted rather than settling for something that was close. Order lead times seem pretty reasonable right now. My order went in this past Monday 2/12, and I already have a TPW of 3/19 so I’m hoping it’s in my driveway by Easter.

Again, congrats and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress!

Brian McCasland (02-19-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

If you buy a Corvette will it be your only vehicle?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

1. All C7s require the pricey premium fuel.
2. Get an insurance quote before you purchase. Also, ask what age will get you a lower price.
3. The insurance on my 1LZ is $10/month cheaper than what a 2LZ and 3LZ would have been.
4. I imagine there are many people who have a stingray as their only vehicle, but very few who have any Z06 as their only vehicle, especially those who live in states with "freezing precip weather".
5. Understand the handling difference between a base stingray, and, a Z51, and, the MRSC mag ride. A base stingray will only ride like a floating Cadillac… a Z51 will only feel firm like a race car (but rough on bumpy roads)… the optional MRSC mag ride will allow you to adjust the stiffness of the shocks as you drive down the ro’.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:33 PM
NakedDave
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 148 Posts

Welcome aboard!

as others have said; Used is the only way to go, lots of value in a 1-3 year old C7 and the depreciation hit is much much less. And if it’s going to be your only car in upstate NY, that may be brutal in the winter.

Read up for another year and buy next January is my advice!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Brian, welcome to CorvetteForum. Your introduction and approach is much appreciated.

The guys are giving a lot of good advice. You've got a good down payment saved up. Explore all options-be open to everything available. Be patient and wait for exactly what you decide you want in a C7. Also realize that you can get the suede (alcantara) wheel as an aftermarket add-on too. So keep that in mind as you search for your Stingray!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Before you take the plunge, have a talk with your insurance agent.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Panterawill
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Used Corvettes may be getting alot cheaper in the near future.
Why?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian McCasland
i dont appreciate you saying im a (wealthy millennial) I work 90 hours a week taking care of elderly people as well as working in a pizza shop. I work very hard long days and nights to be able to afford this car at such a young age thanks.
Sorry. Didn't mean to put you off. It is very admirable that you look after the elderly 18 hours a day and a pizzeria. You deserve it. Any corvette owned is a privilege. I am sure you know you are not the norm. There's a Corvette out there with your name on it. Whatever generation. Good luck
Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Lots of good feedback, OP. My 2¢, find a loved, slightly used Z51, likely one for sale right here in the forum. Skipping the huge depreciation hit can work to your favor, especially for your 1st Corvette. After a few years, see if you want to step up to a Z06, or see what the C8/ME will have to offer in the near future. As you found out, settling for less than what you really want never feels good, so as suggested, do some research and most of all, go drive one!

Oh, and suede steering wheels may look cool, but they don't wear well and I never felt I had as good of a grip on one I had, as opposed to leather. Just my personal experience, take it for what it's worth, which ain't much!
The following 2 users liked this post by ElGreco53:
Brian McCasland (02-19-2018), Wynsnob (02-19-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I just hope the stingray is plenty of power don’t want to spend too much in mods when the zo6 has 650 horse
I have a Z51. It’s not the first V8 performance car I’ve owned or driven. Let me tell you, it has no shortage of power at any RPM.

The LT1 engine makes 400 lb ft of torque at 1000 RPM. Just to put things in perspective, back in the 1960s you needed a big block to make that kind of power at that RPM. In the ‘90s when I grew up, the only American car that was making that kind of power from the factory was the Dodge Viper. Keep that in mind.

If if you really want a Z06, go for it. You just can’t argue with the power that it makes. But I guarantee that you won’t have to “settle” for a Stingray or Grand Sport if the Z06 turns out to be out of your budget.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:10 AM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I second what Billy346 said, and I'll add that it might be worth asking yourself just where and how you want to drive your car, 650hp in a C7 is a lot, and not really applicable in a daily driving situation. Even with "just" 460, the LT1 will get you going quite fast in a hurry. There are damn few places I can open up my LT1 to its full potential. Not that there is anything wrong with the Z06!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I love these threads...

A 24 yo wants to know which, stupidly expensive, impractical, toy car to get...

Look Brian, I get it... But my advice is, the only people that should be working 90 hours a week are jr associates at a law firm. If you like working 90 hours a week, by all means, buy an expensive car.. In fact, trade it in every couple of years too...

But with the current government and economic outlook, I think I'd be looking at educational opportunities, or vocational training...

Fully funding a 401K or IRA
Having at least 6 months of savings
Pay off student debt
Move out of Mom's basement...

None of those are as cool as owning a Corvette, but all are better ideas....

If you have that handled, great

You live in Watertown Ny? Near Buffalo? Stay away from the GS and Z06. They have very limited all season tires choices, and you're gonna need all season tires...

Since Watkins Glen and Mid Ohio aren't that far away, a Z51 is plenty of car...
Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Hey guys my name' Brian I'm 24 and I'm looking to purchase my first corvette next year in the summer. I'm dead set on the c7 but I dont know if I should get the stingray or save a few more years for a zo6 and if I got a sting ray is there anything I should know about. I want to get the seats with the logos in them so anything but the 1lt please whatever anyone can tell me i really appreciate it!
First, welcome to Corvette Forums!
Lots of great advice has been shared. I would advise you follow it to insure you get just what you want and CAN AFFORD.
Purchasing a C7 is a very serious financial commitment considering it's initial cost and especially all the on-going costs such as insurance, taxes and fees.
A C7 purchase isn't something you can typically get out of easily or quickly without losing A LOT of $$.

I only mention this as I have know young people who have purchased Corvettes thinking it was going to 'change their lives' only to find out after the initial excitement wore off that it had ruined them financially.

Enough, for the cautionary tail, they are great cars and even a lifestyle if you want to take advantage all they have to offer.

In regard to the seat emblems vs 1LT, you may want to read the thread below to see what if any features the 2LT offers that you would be willing to pay for except the seat emblems. It would be silly to pay almost $5000 to get the emblems. If they are that important, they can be purchased for under $10 and some seem to be successful installing them.
Also check out the 3LT features, however I wouldn't recommend your spending almost $10,000 for it on a first C7 unless money is no object.

I would most definitely look at the differences between the narrow body Stringray and wide-body Grand Sport and Z06 and the extra performance and handling features of such. Basically, the difference between the Grand Sport and Z06 is the super-charged engine producing and additional 190 HP.

Also, there's the Coup vs Convertible decision, which the below thread may help with.

GOOD LUCK!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-package.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ht-a-vert.html

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please

Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Living in Watertown, NY (the extremely cold and snowy northern part of NY) - the C7 will not work as a true daily driver - you have far too much snow and below 10 degree temps to use a C7 even with a all-season tires.
I would look to get a C7 that someone age 24 can use and enjoy without getting into too much trouble and without a huge cost - personally that would be a Base or Z51 (non-MSRC) Stingray with 1LT and no options besides NPP if you go Base Stingray. That is a $48k (Base) or $52k (Z51) car.
The insurance on a Base car will be half of what a Z06 costs; and tires are cheaper too.
The Base & Z51 may have lower cornering limits (which are pretty tough to reach on the streets), but they are also more forgiving than the GS & Z06 at the limit, especially compared to the Z06, which because of the power is break easy to break the rear free and over-rotate the car.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Sorry. Didn't mean to put you off. It is very admirable that you look after the elderly 18 hours a day and a pizzeria. You deserve it. Any corvette owned is a privilege. I am sure you know you are not the norm. There's a Corvette out there with your name on it. Whatever generation. Good luck
thank you that means a lot and I apologize as well I could have handled that situation a little better myself. But I hope you are right there's a corvette for me but it' gonna take awhile to find
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Brian, welcome to CorvetteForum. Your introduction and approach is much appreciated.

The guys are giving a lot of good advice. You've got a good down payment saved up. Explore all options-be open to everything available. Be patient and wait for exactly what you decide you want in a C7. Also realize that you can get the suede (alcantara) wheel as an aftermarket add-on too. So keep that in mind as you search for your Stingray!
thanks ! Everyone is being really helpful and I got the air cleared with one of my friends here but the information and time taken to reply is very much appreciated. It really is hard to figure out should I just settle for a z51 or save for a z06 I mean I know they are both way faster than anything I've ever owned but is a z51 sting ray going to be fast enough. The problem around new York is nobody will let you test drive it u til you show them you are approved and I don't have all the money yet and everthing is so pricey up here they want a sting ray for 70 grand at a dealership when I can get a used one for 45???

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please