Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 front license plate - removable??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Clay, the new car looks great, and I absolutely love your plate with the new great-looking MD plates!

Best plates in the state since the original bay plates.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

MN requires a front plate too. So far I have a couple seasons going OK without one, but keep a plate on a Zip removable holder handy in the trunk. Have to admit, the Zip is well made and very easy put on and take off.
Old Racer (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The powered versions do not work well with splitters or on any C7 for that matter.

I highly recommend the manual-remove, Sto-N-Sho referred to by Borntorun above. They have 2 versions, one for the Z06, GS, or aftermarket splitter-equipped Stingrays, and another version for non-splitter equipped cars.

It's a very high quality piece, and plate is on and off in a couple of seconds, and there's nothing to fail.

Link here:

http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/...ffects-sns50b/

^^^THIS

With this option you can drive without the plate on the front. If you get stopped you can always tell the cop you just came from a car show and forgot to put the license plate back on.

“What my plate is not on the front? Oh here it is I can put it on right now”.

Unless the cop is a real ***** you will not get a ticket
Old Racer (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

my Sto N Sho was removed after I parked a little too close to the curb at lunch one day. The license plate and the mounting plate dragged across the curb top. Without the lower mounted plate I have no problem parking in the same spot. I just went with the aero bracket and trim it down to the license plate size. With the plate being bent to the bend in the front end, I think it looks better now. I am just working on a quick way to remove it for when I use the NoviStretch bra.
Freerider969 (06-09-2021)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RMS73
my Sto N Sho was removed after I parked a little too close to the curb at lunch one day. The license plate and the mounting plate dragged across the curb top. Without the lower mounted plate I have no problem parking in the same spot. I just went with the aero bracket and trim it down to the license plate size. With the plate being bent to the bend in the front end, I think it looks better now. I am just working on a quick way to remove it for when I use the NoviStretch bra.
I did not think about the Sto N Sho interfering with the NoviStretch bra. Given I use the NoviStretch bra on long road trips it eliminates the Sto N Sho as an option for me.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RMS73
Those curb stoppers vary greatly in height. Sounds like you just met the wrong one. The Sto-N-Sho version without a splitter can't be more than a 1/2" lower than the front lip. Even the minimal height, poverty splitter is lower than the Sto-N-Sho version without a splitter.

It's a good thing you had no splitter, or it would have been much worse. Your lower lip alone will also hit many slightly higher ones. Your C7 isn't an F-350, so no need to pull so far forward.

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I did not think about the Sto N Sho interfering with the NoviStretch bra. Given I use the NoviStretch bra on long road trips it eliminates the Sto N Sho as an option for me.
Doesn't that thing cover a front plate too? Never seen one, and would rather rely on a PPF. It's pretty cheap to PPF just the nose, and probably better protection, in addition to the massive reduction of the ugly factor.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-18-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
I used the Sho N Go plate holder on my 04 for years and loved it. I had the remote model and was great to flip down for cruise nights . I purchased a 17 GS and Sho N Go can't be mounted due to angle of front splitter. I purchased the Sto n Sho plate holder for my GS after recommendations from members on the forum. Its a manual release holder and is working out great easy to remove and NO scraping. Here is a picture of it mounted under my GS. I ordered from Big Mike goggle either holder or Big Mike and it will show up. There is different model for Stingray or GS/Z06
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Really appreciate your input.
Borntorun04/17 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:48 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

The powered versions do not work well with splitters or on any C7 for that matter.

I highly recommend the manual-remove, Sto-N-Sho referred to by Borntorun above. They have 2 versions, one for the Z06, GS, or aftermarket splitter-equipped Stingrays, and another version for non-splitter equipped cars.

It's a very high quality piece, and plate is on and off in a couple of seconds, and there's nothing to fail.

Link here:

http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/...ffects-sns50b/

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Really appreciate your input.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:57 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What is the fine from the State Patrol?
I don't really know. He stopped me two years ago and gave me a warning. But he also sited my smoked windows. So I had to remove the film. Wasn't that dark. 32% I think.
Funny thing was i took it to the city police and caught one in the parking lot at the main building and had him sign the warning. He looked at his partner and said, "I wish we had time to Fuc* around with shi* like this. Nice car!"
I know if the trooper sees me he will pull me over.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
^^^THIS

With this option you can drive without the plate on the front. If you get stopped you can always tell the cop you just came from a car show and forgot to put the license plate back on.

“What my plate is not on the front? Oh here it is I can put it on right now”.

Unless the cop is a real ***** you will not get a ticket
Thanks, it sounds like that is what I will end up with.
Great color by the way. I had a 2008 in Atomic Orange. Then I ordered a 2011 Avalanche in pearl orange to match. Still have the Avalanche since they don't make them anymore.
Attached Images   
Skid Row Joe (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV

That looks good. What kind of saw did you use to trim it? Are the edges smooth?
I just used a hand coping saw and trimmed the bracket slightly smaller than the plate, then bought a rubber boarder from the auto parts store.
Just be careful not to flex it too much in the thin area shown by the arrow or it can crack.

The following 2 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
Freerider969 (06-09-2021), Skid Row Joe (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:04 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

And here's my standard rebuttal to your standard spiel, that the Sto-N-Sho is essentially level with the lower lip or splitter, because the mounting rods are tilted up. Thus the plate has a backward rake.

I'm less likely to hit anything with no splitter than you are with your splitter. My standard spiel is that splitters are nothing but trouble in street use and serve no useful purpose other than looks if you actually like that look.

However, another way to look at it, is that the Sto-N-Sho is an excellent splitter saver, since it serves as an early warning that your splitter is about to be damaged beyond repair. It's far cheaper at $85 than replacing that expensive splitter.
If the rods go under the bumper, it has to be the lowest part of the nose, but I was mainly taking about using this type if it also has to go under the splitter... I have the cheap $100 splitter..

Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Doesn't that thing cover a front plate too? Never seen one, and would rather rely on a PPF. It's pretty cheap to PPF just the nose, and probably better protection, in addition to the massive reduction of the ugly factor.
Yes, the Novistretch bra would cover the front plate that’s why I don’t mount a front plate. I would buy the Sho N Go for when I don’t use the Novistretch but the Sho N Go bracket uses the screw holes needed to attach the bra.

I have PPF on the entire front end but it does not keep the crap from collecting on the lower radiator on long road trips. About two hours after I took the picture below the entire bra was covered with cottonwood seeds. Glad I had the bra installed, function over form.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-18-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:05 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I just used a hand coping saw and trimmed the bracket slightly smaller than the plate, then bought a rubber boarder from the auto parts store.
Just be careful not to flex it too much in the thin area shown by the arrow or it can crack.

That looks better than OEM and does not restrict air flow quite as much. Thanks.

I'll do that after I get a ticket for not having front license plate. Just hate to ruin the looks of the nose with a stupid front license plate. Corvette owners should be exempted...ha!
The following 2 users liked this post by KCV:
Freerider969 (06-09-2021), Old Racer (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

TEXHAWKO, I just wanted to thank you for the GREAT idea and for saving me some money.
I cut the mounting plate this afternoon with a shop knife, smoothed the edges, drilled the 3/16" holes in the plate and mounted it in about an hour. Fits tight to the grill and looks great.
I think I will just leave it on all the time and save the hassle.
Now I just need to pick up some trim of some kind. You said you got yours at the auto parts store? What is it actually used for?
Thanks again for the help.
Travel safe.

Last edited by Old Racer; 02-18-2018 at 05:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Old Racer:
Freerider969 (06-09-2021), Skid Row Joe (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Old Racer
TEXHAWKO, I just wanted to thank you for the GREAT idea and for saving me some money.
I cut the mounting plate this afternoon with a shop knife, smoothed the edges, drilled the 3/16" holes in the plate and mounted it in about an hour. Fits tight to the grill and looks great.
I think I will just leave it on all the time and save the hassle.
Now I just need to pick up some trim of some kind. You said you got yours at the auto parts store? What is it actually used for?
Thanks again for the help.
Travel safe.
The trim on the plate is actually a soft urethane trim that is made for that purpose by Pilot Automotive... you can view on website here, but I think Pep Boys usually carries them too. Cost- $5
https://www.pepboys.com/search/?term...nse+plate+trim
http://www.pilotautomotive.com/frame/WL170-E1.html

Forgot to mention, I picked up a couple of small plastic plugs to put in the holes in the plate..

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 02-18-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old Racer (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

The trim on the plate is actually a soft urethane trim that is made for that purpose by Pilot Automotive... you can view on website here, but I think Pep Boys usually carries them too. Cost- $5
https://www.pepboys.com/search/?term...nse+plate+trim
http://www.pilotautomotive.com/frame/WL170-E1.html

Forgot to mention, I picked up a couple of small plastic plugs to put in the holes in the plate..
Thanks AGAIN!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 front license plate - removable??

Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

I had the impression that all of the C7 vettes were provided with this GM Aero Plate as a standard accessory. Now I see in the 2019 Order Guide that there is a $175 Front Aero Panel RPO # 5WH. Is this the same thing and, if so, why now is it an extra cost accessory?? The GM Aero Panel would definitely be my preferred solution to meet Texas front plate law.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I had the impression that all of the C7 vettes were provided with this GM Aero Plate as a standard accessory. Now I see in the 2019 Order Guide that there is a $175 Front Aero Panel RPO # 5WH. Is this the same thing and, if so, why now is it an extra cost accessory?? The GM Aero Panel would definitely be my preferred solution to meet Texas front plate law.
Both brackets came with my 2014. I think maybe that the $175 option is for a painted aero panel instead of the black plastic.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

The Novistretch bra fits between the front end and the back of the StoNSho bracket. Just put the bra on and then insert the plate holder into the mount.

For using the Novistretch over the aero plate holder I glued two washers on the Novistretch where the bolt holes are and then punched holes through the Novistretch. Works good, but I don't want to keep removing the bolts into the aero bracket.

Quick Reply: C7 front license plate - removable??