Sponsored by:

C7 front license plate - removable??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV

That looks better than OEM and does not restrict air flow quite as much. Thanks.

I'll do that after I get a ticket for not having front license plate. Just hate to ruin the looks of the nose with a stupid front license plate. Corvette owners should be exempted...ha!
I think the Aero Plate is the best looking of all the options whether or not you trim it. It is designed to look good on the car Vs most hang ons look like a hung on after thought. It is a little low to meet some states plate requirements and that is why they have that ugly thing that sticks to the front fascia. When it comes time to run the car hard on a road course the Aero Plate is easily removed so you have full air flow to the radiator. With the Aero Plate in place there is plenty of air flow for street/highway driving in any state in the country in any season. The other thing in its favor is should have had one in the car when you purchased it. No need to spend money on a poor looking hang on plate holder. Hell you might not mind having a front plate in place if it looked good.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-20-2018 at 12:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Freerider969 (06-09-2021)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

All personal taste, Bill. My "poor looking hang on plate holder" looks far better to me, and doesn't spoil the grille appearance. You might actually agree if you saw it in person. Some people actually think chrome wheels look really good.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-20-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Old Racer
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Decided not to invite trouble. Mounted it on the Aero mount at the suggestion of TEXHAWKO. Trimmed it down to fit as he instructed. Went on line and found the trim he suggested, as well as a clear cover and bolt covers. I would prefer no plate at all, BUT I know from past experience if he pulls me over he will gig me for the tinted windows, taillights and markers.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and especially TEXHAWKO for the idea I ended up with.
It can easily be removed with a small phillips through the two small holes if need be.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Old Racer:
bigsapper (03-04-2018), TEXHAWK0 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Check below. More info on front plate laws and plate mounting than anyone could ever need. Also may try search under Altec.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...late-laws.html
Good link, on post #162 a forum member has a video showing his automatic system that was installed to operate when he starts the car! Good idea. If the OP is only worried about one area where he passes a specific Trooper's house could just switch it up when he passes!

Would not work with a splitter, so glad I only have to meet the SC law for license frames that "no part" of any "letter or number" can be covered! Good reason for the local police and Troopers to pull you over to check for license, registration, insurance and give you a $125 ticket!

Like no front plates where required, also a good revenue producer! Unlike the front plate requirement, the license plate frame law is for anyone driving in the State coming from wherever! Some other States have the same law.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-04-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:15 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts

Just picked up my 2017 GS and it has the Aero plate on the grille. It also has a Corvette insert installed. I will have to remove this to install the plates when they arrive. How does one remove the insert? I can see or feel no visible attaching nubbins or screws and it does not seem to want to just pull off. Thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 09:52 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by GS583
Just picked up my 2017 GS and it has the Aero plate on the grille. It also has a Corvette insert installed. I will have to remove this to install the plates when they arrive. How does one remove the insert? I can see or feel no visible attaching nubbins or screws and it does not seem to want to just pull off. Thanks
I had done a search for something about this earlier and found little to nothing. A second search under different parameters yielded an answer after looking at about 20 threads. The trick it seems is to go in from the side rather than the bottom as the instructions that were with the kit. Got it off and waiting for my plates for now. Sorry to have missed this on the first search.

Last edited by GS583; 03-27-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 front license plate - removable??