Sponsored by:

Muffler and Tailpipe alignment??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 10:04 AM
poulosd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Muffler and Tailpipe alignment??

First the good news.... Just got my 2016 (early build) Z51 out of the shop at Henna Chevrolet in Austin for a torque converter replacement. Runs great now without the 100 - 150 rpm variation and slight shudder that was present prior to the replacement. They knew what they were doing. After the initial diagnosis, they ordered all of the needed items before scheduling a date to bring it in. Only four days in the shop with a loaner. Now the unsettling news.... When I arrived home I noticed that the tailpipes were lower. I checked by comparing to a couple of vettes at the Georgetown dealership and I was correct (about 1/4 inch lower). Before I call the guys at Henna, does anyone know if this is an easy and quick fix/adjustment? What is involved? I really don't want the rear of the car disassembled again, but this is an annoying little issue for me. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

You just need to unbolt the back side of the mufflers & also the hanger & just play with it a little to get them correct some what a small pain but it can be fixed. It took me over 2 hrs to get it like I wanted them. Robert
Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Easy fix, but can be tedious to get it perfect. Loosen the muffler clamps, then adjust the tips to the desire location and tighten. More than likely they will move a little on the first attempt and you might have to duplicate a few times. You might have to loosen the center bolt that connects the mufflers as well if the spacing isn’t aligned correctly. It’s better if another person holds the tips in place while you tighten.

Edit: When I installed a Corsa exhaust system I fiddled with the tips for an hour to get them perfect. Like I said, it’s easier to have another person hold the tips in place while securing the clamps...

Last edited by sTz; 03-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler and Tailpipe alignment??

Quick Reply: Muffler and Tailpipe alignment??