Dash cams? What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
I notice these different add on's and I understand the SD Card but what's the other options and/or are they necessary?
The Power Magic Pro (PMP) is the hardwire kit that allows you to use the Parking Mode feature I mentioned above where you can set the time interval the cameras stay on after the car is parked and any bump/collision will cause the system to record the event. You can pick between 6-12 hours and the system will power down to save your battery. As I also mentioned, there have been some complaints about failed/faulty PMP units including mine.

The fuse tap can be had from parts stores or online so you can buy one later if you decide to hardwire at the fuse box. Not necessary if you are not using the PMP.

I did not opt for the polarizing filter and the video I have recorded so far it's not needed to reduce glare. You can always order one later if you find glare is an issue.
The following users liked this post:
KGrant (03-18-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:33 AM
KAIJU
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The first video is actually my car. The blackvue camera has been working flawlessly since the install and I helped the installer install the rear camera through the convoluted wiring. Not easy but worth the extra effort.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Ch-100-B 2 channel is well worth a look, I really like mine.. I will attach photo's and video below..

Black box my car has a deal for the month on CH-200 2 channel that is a much better camera and just over 300 is a great price...

Also, if you call them, they will add an extra 10 feet of cable to run to the back of our cars...

Attachment 48352417
Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Ok Patches:

I took the plunge and purchased and just unpacked the box. It doesn't really seem that any of the online videos show actual step by step how to installations but mostly after the fact installs. My initial observations are as follows:

1 - For the front camera you need to run the wiring across top of windshield down the A-Pillar, across bottom door sill ultimately to battery compartment.

2 - Doesn't seem that it's enough cord to reach from front camera to the rear battery area and the cord needs to be longer.

3 - The Rear Camera has separate cord that goes from rear camera to the battery / power pack

So since you have completed this install recently, what are the lessons learned and what recommendations or step by step can you provide of your install relative to my initial observations and anything additional before I start to map out.

Thanks in advance for your time and information sharing!

Kyle

Originally Posted by Patches
Thanks. As I mentioned, I'm not sure about the final mounting spot for the rear camera so I left the wire accessible for now until I decide if I leave it there or not. Where the video shows the mounting, the camera needs to be pointed down further than I want to avoid the shading on the glass which is why I mounted it on the glass. I'm going to experiment with a couple of ideas in the next few weeks to get the optimum positioning.

IMO, this was not as big a deal to install as the guy in the vid mentions but maybe it's because I'm used to much bigger projects.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Kyle - are you using the Power Magic Pro module or doing a direct wire to power?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I did purchase the Power Pack Pro as I think that was inferred as the best route

Kyle - are you using the Power Magic Pro module or doing a direct wire to power?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:09 PM
darkLight
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a Goluk. Its much cheaper, but it seems to be a knockoff of the Blackvue. It has motion sensing, but I didn't hardwire it.

Mobile app is not well made and I've seen it 'glitch' video clips so I'd say go with a better brand unless the new version is a lot better.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Kyle,

I ran the power cable and the rear camera cable together inside the top windshield trim to the passenger A-pillar (you can go through the driver side, if preferred) and then down the A-pillar.

Here's where I split the cables and ran the power cable under passenger dash/glove box and into the center console so I could either connect it to the center console power plug under the front of the console door (and not use the PMP) or connect the PMP cable there and run that power cable to the rear fuse box

I ran the rear camera cable straight down through the passenger door front jamb trim. I then ran it through the passenger door/rocker trim and then up the rear door frame and into the roof bow trim to the rear camera. I popped the center/top bow trim off to stash the cable in there.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 PM
8APORSH
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Kyle,

I ran the power cable and the rear camera cable together inside the top windshield trim to the passenger A-pillar (you can go through the driver side, if preferred) and then down the A-pillar.

Here's where I split the cables and ran the power cable under passenger dash/glove box and into the center console so I could either connect it to the center console power plug under the front of the console door (and not use the PMP) or connect the PMP cable there and run that power cable to the rear fuse box

I ran the rear camera cable straight down through the passenger door front jamb trim. I then ran it through the passenger door/rocker trim and then up the rear door frame and into the roof bow trim to the rear camera. I popped the center/top bow trim off to stash the cable in there.
I see that you have a V1. Any interference issues between the blackvue & V1?
Old 03-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8APORSH
I see that you have a V1. Any interference issues between the blackvue & V1?
None
Old 03-30-2018, 08:12 PM
Roadrat68
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the Garmin 55. I have them in all of my work trucks. I will be putting them in all personal vehicles soon. Get the parking cable with it.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Help me Understand the benefit of a DUAL CHANNEL

I'm trying to understand what the benefit of having a DUAL CHANNEL Dash Cam instead of having 2 single channel dash cams ( one front, one rear)?

I'm guessing the Pro's would include only having ONE data card; ONE GPS cord and receiver; and One power cord.

To me, there is a negative..... having to run the wire from the front of the car, to the back on a Dual Channel.

If I had 2 single channel dash cams, I could keep all the wiring up front, for the front unit, and all the wires in the rear to wire them up, and have GPS input.

I currently have PDR in the Vette, and 1 Street Guardian in the front of our Honda Pilot. I've been thinking about buying 2 more single units to put in the rear of each vehicle. But after reading this thread, I'm now considering buying 1 Dual Channel set to put in the Honda Pilot, and taking the existing Street Guardian ( which I REALLY LIKE) and putting it in the rear of the Vette.

Am I missing something??? I'm trying to keep things simple.....

Last edited by Strake; 03-30-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 PM
8APORSH
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

None
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I want to install a dash cam inside my c7. Just single cam. Where should I pull the power? I am planning to tap mirror for radar detector. So that's out. Any fuse box in the front (ie under the dash?) thanks
Old 03-31-2018, 01:05 AM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

Old 04-13-2018, 02:04 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Did you ever install and if so what installation method did you do as I know people have gone different routes?

Originally Posted by GreenGA
I ordered the same setup. May I ask where you installed the rear camera? I'm thinking of installing mine on the rear hatch above the heating wires, going through the rubber tube/connector.

Last edited by KGrant; 04-13-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:10 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

It's been cold in the garage and finishing up other winter mods but it looks spring is around the corner and then I will tackle this mod.

Did you finalize your set up as I thought you were considering tweaking? If you have some clearer pictures to share that would be great.

I might need to call and talk through your steps or description to make sure I understand correctly on the front-end.

Kyle,

Get notified of new replies

To Dash cams? What are you using?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:26 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Patches,

I am all installed and working great! I have a question relative to accessing videos through phone at anytime other than when you are in car and connected you can download to internal device.

However, can you not go view videos on your phone at anytime without being connected?

Also, I can't figure the Blackvue Cloud feature which I assume would give you access to recordings? Is Blackvue Cloud a free or do you need to purchase access?

On a side note, I didn't like how the front camera looked stuck to the window from the outside so I bought the rear view mirror mounts from BlendMount and it's a much cleaner look from the outside.

I also mounted the rear on the plastic molding vs the rear window for the same reason and not potentially damaging tint in the event I needed to remove the camera mount to relocate or transfer to different car.

Kyle,

Last edited by KGrant; 06-06-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

However, can you not go view videos on your phone at anytime without being connected?
If the phone is not connected to a hot spot, or Wifi - you cannot see videos on the phone through the cloud service. If your phone is in range you should be able to use Direct Connect on your Android phone or via the app if you connect your phone to the Blackvue to see videos. Of course your camera must be powered up.

Also, I can't figure the Blackvue Cloud feature which I assume would give you access to recordings? Is Blackvue Cloud a free or do you need to purchase access?
Free (included in the high price).
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

What is or how do you use this functionality? I am connected to my home wifi and get this error message?

Originally Posted by Flame Red
If the phone is not connected to a hot spot, or Wifi - you cannot see videos on the phone through the cloud service. If your phone is in range you should be able to use Direct Connect on your Android phone or via the app if you connect your phone to the Blackvue to see videos. Of course your camera must be powered up.

Free (included in the high price).

Quick Reply: Dash cams? What are you using?