Sponsored by:

Nail in run flat

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:32 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I found a nail in my run flat this week - had a new roof put on, and they didn't get all the roofing nails picked up. Drove it in to Firestone Complete, took 1 hour and $30 to patch.
Guys who did roof on our cottage last fall ran a big magnet all around the house, including on the driveway, but specifically told us to be very careful, that there was no way they could guarantee to get all the nails from the tear-off job.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Guys who did roof on our cottage last fall ran a big magnet all around the house, including on the driveway, but specifically told us to be very careful, that there was no way they could guarantee to get all the nails from the tear-off job.

No kidding, when they did the roof at out townhouse complex....I kept picking up roof nails for months.Probably had at least two flats.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:53 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default sure can be fixed

have had nails in the GY Runflats and the Michelins (they do draw sharp objects) just as long as the patch is done correctly (concern about the internal portion of the repair so that moisture does not get in).
Old 02-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Default The Proper Repair

The proper repair from the inside of the tire.

The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 PM
ATC
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Discount Tire just plugged and patched my rear run flat, removing it from the wheel. They rebalanced it also. They did not charge me.

Last edited by ATC; 02-21-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I just don't understand why some people go the cheap or easy route and just do a plug. Why risk your safety when the tire experts say a plug/patch combo is the only recommended repair? Discount tire will dismount, inspect, prep, plug/patch, remount and balance for FREE.

US Tire Manufacturers Association puncture repair procedures

Tire Industry Association tire repair
You would never say that again if you knew how often the typical tire guy grinds right into the cords when prepping the inside of the tire for patch cement.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
You would never say that again if you knew how often the typical tire guy grinds right into the cords when prepping the inside of the tire for patch cement.
I've watched as my run flats have been repaired several times over the past 3 Corvette generations that I have owned. Only a very light roughing up of the inside. Never getting to the cords. If they did, they'd be getting me new tires.
JerryU (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I've watched as my run flats have been repaired several times over the past 3 Corvette generations that I have owned. Only a very light roughing up of the inside. Never getting to the cords. If they did, they'd be getting me new tires.
Well that's pretty much the key right there.
Watch it happen and know what you are looking at.
By the way, its not light roughing up. Its grinding the uneven surface so that is relatively flat or no longer textured (however you want to describe it), with an air grinder. Anything bedsides that and the patch wont stick.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-21-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I guess you have never actually installed a patch have you ?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

I guess you have never actually installed a patch have you ?
No, but I've watched it done on a number of tires and no mechanic would use an air gun to lightly rough up the inner tire surface. That's just stupid.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 02-21-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
No, but I've watched it done on a number of tires and no mechanic would use an air gun to lightly rough up the inner tire surface. That's just stupid
Stupid is making an assumption about something you know nothing about.
Even stupider would be making a condescending or insulting post from a position of utter stupidity.
In the event you want to know what you are talking about, then start by reading the some of the content linked by Zymurgy earlier in this thread.
If not, then that's fine, but you are not fooling anyone, and least of all, me.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Nathaniel
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nail in Run Flat

I had a tac / nail in my GSCE I took it to the dealer and they wouldn't repair it They claimed they couldn't plug or patch it they wanted me to buy a new tire (wrong answer). Went to Discount they said tire couldn't be plugged but they patched it from the inside but had the Darnest time remounting it to the rim. A older tech complained that the tire was very hard and could not be remounted without scratching the rim. A junior tech overheard the conversation and told the Senior tech to sit the tire out in the sun for half hour, reluctantly he did and it was like magic between the lube and heat from the sun the tire was mounted very easy. So to get back to your question IMO Run Flats Can Be Patched
Originally Posted by guido7834
I have a nail in the tread area of a front tire. I've read many posts here that it can be patched/plugged from the inside. I've called Michelin and GM. Both said this is true. Called Discount tire today (two locations) and they tell me a run flat can not be repaired. (company Policy)
Can anyone clear this up for me? It's just a small screw. I don't track the car, it's a weekend driver. 2017 base Stingray.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Stupid is making an assumption about something you know nothing about.
We'll let others decide who is being stupid here.
beaversstonehaven (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

I just don't understand why some people go the cheap or easy route and just do a plug. Why risk your safety when the tire experts say a plug/patch combo is the only recommended repair? Discount tire will dismount, inspect, prep, plug/patch, remount and balance for FREE.

Of interest both docs show graphics that repairs are only to be made in the center area between the outer treads. That is the Firestone rule where I have had my Vette tires patched and new ones mounted. The store manager of this 12 bay shop said that is their rule and patching in the outer tread could get him fired!

The Grand Sport outer tread is ~3 inches wide and the inside ~2 inches! Good chance a nail could be there! There is some wording in one doc that gives some wiggle room but I know for the Firestone dealer there is none.

A Discount Tire store recently opened in town so I asked about their tire warrantee. They had a $40 off special and I paid $260 and bought it for my new Grand Sport tires. I checked out their capability and felt confident they could change the wide rear tires. Prior to their arrival I would only trust the Firestone dealer with the C7 and C6 Z51 rear tires that are the same width as my Grand Sport fronts! Of their ~20 Techs only 2 or 3 change wide, low profile run flats. Even the large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes dealer in town sends their similar tires there to be repaired or new mounted. The Discount Tire manager recorded some info from each tire when I bought the warrantee.

I asked the Firestone shop and they had a similar warranty for ~$350. Frankly if possible to patch I would prefer the one per tire allowed than a new tire after they have 5000 to 7500 miles! Hopefully I won't need the insurance but believe Discount Tire will use logic and repair using a plug/patch if not in the rounded area near the sidewall.

This $260 tire only warrantee is much less than the well over $1000 from Chevy for the tire/wheel package.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-22-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Because it's cheap and easy and it works. So many of you guys quote manufacturers policy like it's the holy grail when it is actually liability driven, not based on scientific research. The safety argument is bogus, too; it's a car and with run flats as well. It's not going to go out of control if the plug fails; just an inconvenience. I've patched tube tires and plugged tires on high performance motorcycles for decades and never had a problem and rode the stink out of them without concern. Quit drinking the koolaide.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roadrogue:
PatternDayTrader (02-22-2018), rb185afm (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
Of interest both docs show graphics that repairs are only to be made in the center area between the outer treads. That is the Firestone rule where I have had my Vette tires patched and new ones mounted. The store manager of this 12 bay shop said that is their rule and patching in the outer tread could get him fired!

The Grand Sport outer tread is ~3 inches wide and the inside ~2 inches! Good chance a nail could be there! There is some wording in one doc that gives some wiggle room but I know for the Firestone dealer there is none.

A Discount Tire store recently opened in town so I asked about their tire warrantee. They had a $40 off special and I paid $260 and bought it for my new Grand Sport tires. I checked out their capability and felt confident they could change the wide rear tires. Prior to their arrival I would only trust the Firestone dealer with the C7 and C6 Z51 rear tires that are the same width as my Grand Sport fronts! Of their ~20 Techs only 2 or 3 change wide, low profile run flats. Even the large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes dealer in town sends their similar tires there to be repaired or new mounted. The Discount Tire manager recorded some info from each tire when I bought the warrantee.

I asked the Firestone shop and they had a similar warranty for ~$350. Frankly if possible to patch I would prefer the one per tire allowed than a new tire after they have 5000 to 7500 miles! Hopefully I won't need the insurance but believe Discount Tire will use logic and repair using a plug/patch if not in the rounded area near the sidewall.

This $260 tire only warrantee is much less than the well over $1000 from Chevy for the tire/wheel package.
There's a reason behind the logic outlined in the bolded part of the quote above.
Dismounting and remounting a wide run flat tire is an absolute bitch of a job to get right. Even the most experienced people will rip a bead from time to time, even if they install the patch properly.
All a tire patch does is seal the tire from leaks. Its not structural. Knowing this, you could say a plug installed from the outside of the tire is just as good, as long as its not leaking. This reality combined with the probability of tire damage is why some people just use a plug from the outside.

Get notified of new replies

To Nail in run flat

Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Roadrogue

Because it's cheap and easy and it works. So many of you guys quote manufacturers policy like it's the holy grail when it is actually liability driven, not based on scientific research. The safety argument is bogus, too; it's a car and with run flats as well. It's not going to go out of control if the plug fails; just an inconvenience. I've patched tube tires and plugged tires on high performance motorcycles for decades and never had a problem and rode the stink out of them without concern. Quit drinking the koolaide.
The entire idea behind patching a tire depends on the assumption that its done properly and without mistakes. Unfortunately, the idea of zero mistakes from a tire guy dismounting and remounting a run flat tire, is just not reality.
The only good thing is that once the tire is back on the wheel (maybe with damaged cords and/or a ripped bead) no one knows the difference because its on the inside and totally hidden from inspection.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

The entire idea behind patching a tire depends on the assumption that its done properly and without mistakes. Unfortunately, the idea of zero mistakes from a tire guy dismounting and remounting a run flat tire, is just not reality.

So nobody knows that there is no such thing as a perfect human being.

The only good thing is that once the tire is back on the wheel (maybe with damaged cords and/or a ripped bead) no one knows the difference because its on the inside and totally hidden from inspection.

And that's a "good" thing?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My Chevy dealer doesn't mess with run flats for liability reasons. Sam's did a patch/plug at no cost since I was a member. No issues since.

Quick Reply: Nail in run flat