Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Paint vs Old Corvette Paint - Rick's Vlog

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:29 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

They both have the signature orange peel, but the one on the right looks like it has less... I never had an issue w/my ‘16 AW Z, so not as passionate about the topic as some.

Nonetheless, I’d say that the one on the right was painted in the new facility. Maybe it would be easier to tell the difference in person, but they look pretty similar on the vid, albiet one has carbon flash mirrors and the Stage 2(L) and the other has the Stage 3(R)

Edit: Good job on posting

Last edited by sTz; 02-22-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

The fact that it's even remotely difficult to tell is proof positive that they have been improving the paint on C7 Corvettes. I frequently look at the paint jobs on new models from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. and the OP on most of them is far worse than what you're seeing on these 'Vettes.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

OP is a much bigger deal on this forum because of the higher percentage of OC people here, who are very picky about their Corvettes. My theory is that many/most of them don't place the same scrutiny on their "everyday vehicles," or other vehicles they more casually look at, and don't notice the OP is at least as bad, if not worse.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:52 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
OP is a much bigger deal on this forum because of the higher percentage of OC people here, who are very picky about their Corvettes. My theory is that many/most of them don't place the same scrutiny on their "everyday vehicles," or other vehicles they more casually look at, and don't notice the OP is at least as bad, if not worse.
Very true. Hell, I didn't even know about OP until I joined this forum years ago...so thanks for that Corvette Forum.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that many Corvette owners spend far more time looking at them in a garage rather than spending time in them on the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
DALE#3 (02-25-2018), Jmhornz71 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Old 02-22-2018, 02:31 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I consider myself to be as picky as anyone re the paint and other quality issues on Corvettes. I've had 8 new ones and there has been steady improvement since my first new one in 1976. The roof sail panels on it looked like stucco! There were so many buyers ordering white cars in '75-'77 because it hid the flaws better than other colors. Some of the blues and silvers of that era were really bad and were subject to repaints at the dealer prior to delivery. As much as I want perfect paint, I also drive my cars and they will pick up a rock ding or two. I want to start with a good paint job for sure, but flawless is not what I'm after. I have seen some C7's at dealers that I would pass on though due to the orange peel/wavy panels as that would be unacceptable as a starting point. For whatever reason there seems to be a larger variation in paint quality on the C7's than during other generations. Some were basically consistently poor, but the C7's are all over the map. Maybe the new paint facility will bring a higher level of consistent product to the table.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Grozny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did I win? Twix bars? If so, let me know so you can send them my way.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:00 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

It’s official. Rick announced today that the left car was painted in the new paint shop.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:03 AM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by K2500Z71
I’m going with “left” is the new one. There’s another clue in the video: the car on the right has a VA inspection sticker whereas the one on the left does not. I’ll assume that the one that’s been there the longest is more likely to have been inspected.
not sure what the deal w that sticker is, Rick sells near Columbus Oh which has no inspections...could be a customer's car and they took the plate off for the video or a trade in???

Quick Reply: New Corvette Paint vs Old Corvette Paint - Rick's Vlog