Sponsored by:

Alignment specs for street car?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Alignment specs for street car?

Is there a widely accepted set of alignment numbers which will minimize wear on my GS, or is the factory setup the best? I drive the car hard on the roads, but I don't track it. I know the C6 community has some numbers floating around. Anything for the C7?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Google DSC C7 alignment specs. They show recommended specs for street & track. Been much discussion here about factory settings being very aggressive & not consistent from one car to another & even one side to other on same car. Had mine done after recent 4 tire purchase & right side was way out of whack. Front tires had worn to cords on inside edges of both & car drove much better & even accelerated in perfect straight line after. Mine is a '16 Z M7 & it always wanted to really pull hard (violently) to one side if pushing thru the gears or just accelerating very hard in 1st or 2nd from a roll.

Last edited by madrob2020; 08-08-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

The issue is GM’s allowed range. The spec range For Grand Sport rear allows from -0.5 degrees camber to -1.7 degrees. Had mine done at 400 miles and rears were set from the factory at -1.6 degrees, fine for Tracking but not low tire wear. Could have asked for mid way -1.1 but requested -0.8 degrees as a compromise. Could ask for as low as -0.5 and been within spec.

Mid range in toe is close to zero. I just asked toe to be set close to centerline, which dealer tech achieved. In fact, one toe was all that was out when checked. Tech could have taken 5 minutes and fixed that one toe and said, all is fine! It took 30 to 45 minutes to align to my requested camber and toe. I watched the whole procedure at first from outside the alignment bay, then tech invited me in to watch the Hunter alignment readout CRT as he made the changes. All paid for by GM!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-09-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Camber in, and toe out.

​​​​​​​ You're ready to street race.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Motors5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

It makes big sense to do an alignment anyway after 1000-200 mi since the car and suspension, bushings etc. "settles" after final assembly. I did mine after 5000 mi and it was not very good values!. Just an alignment to factory settings with a good 4-wheel laser alignment will save the wear on the tires! I paid approximately 110 USD in Sweden for the work.

If you drive a lot yourself you could let them have you sit in the drivers seat while doing the alignment to have it bang on the values when you are actually driving it. I did this but I am tracking mine so it is even more important.

I have the Z51 (but I think the angles are the same for GS) and chose the track settings from the Track Prep Manual since I wanted better cornering and more even grip when tracking it. This made a huge difference.

//Motors5
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Google DSC C7 alignment specs. They show recommended specs for street & track. Been much discussion here about factory settings being very aggressive & not consistent from one car to another & even one side to other on same car. Had mine done after recent 4 tire purchase & right side was way out of whack. Front tires had worn to cords on inside edges of both & car drove much better & even accelerated in perfect straight line after. Mine is a '16 Z M7 & it always wanted to really pull hard (violently) to one side if pushing thru the gears or just accelerating very hard in 1st or 2nd from a roll.
Thanks, I downloaded the specs, and will try them. I have 6000 miles, and the car behaves pretty well, but just want to save the tires if I can.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Motors5
It makes big sense to do an alignment anyway after 1000-200 mi since the car and suspension, bushings etc. "settles" after final assembly. I did mine after 5000 mi and it was not very good values!. Just an alignment to factory settings with a good 4-wheel laser alignment will save the wear on the tires! I paid approximately 110 USD in Sweden for the work.

If you drive a lot yourself you could let them have you sit in the drivers seat while doing the alignment to have it bang on the values when you are actually driving it. I did this but I am tracking mine so it is even more important.

I have the Z51 (but I think the angles are the same for GS) and chose the track settings from the Track Prep Manual since I wanted better cornering and more even grip when tracking it. This made a huge difference.

//Motors5
Where do I find the Track Prep Manual?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:11 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
Thanks, I downloaded the specs, and will try them. I have 6000 miles, and the car behaves pretty well, but just want to save the tires if I can.
Its no secret around here that I am set against DSC specs for street use. In their defense, they don't have specs for street use.
The document that is frequently circulated around here, says very clearly "occasional track use" for their least aggressive specs.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:18 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Its no secret around here that I am set against DSC specs for street use. In their defense, they don't have specs for street use.
The document that is frequently circulated around here, says very clearly "occasional track use" for their least aggressive specs.
Not to sound sarcastic, but do you have a better set of numbers? Are these numbers more aggressive than factory settings?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
Not to sound sarcastic, but do you have a better set of numbers? Are these numbers more aggressive than factory settings?
Well you didn't specify which set of numbers you are liking, but for a street only car, all of DSCs specs are to aggressive in my opinion. Their document clearly says "occasional track use". In fact I even think its in bold print.

For myself, and for street use, I prefer something very close to zero camber and zero toe. The tires should be pointing straight up and straight forward for best tire life, and the least amount of driver input.
The following users liked this post:
I Fly Low (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Mark Maple
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

I am looking for numbers to take to my dealer. I had my 2017 GS aligned to the DSC Street / Occasional Track numbers at 4000 miles. I just replaced my front tires last night with less than 14000 miles and cord coming through the inner side of the tires. I want the new tires to wear better. I don't plan on any track time.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark Maple
I am looking for numbers to take to my dealer. I had my 2017 GS aligned to the DSC Street / Occasional Track numbers at 4000 miles. I just replaced my front tires last night with less than 14000 miles and cord coming through the inner side of the tires. I want the new tires to wear better. I don't plan on any track time.
This is the problem with DSCs specs on a street car.
Go with something closer to zero camber. Especially on the front.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:27 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
This is the problem with DSCs specs on a street car.
Go with something closer to zero camber. Especially on the front.
^^^^I agree if one is simply trying to get the max wear from tires to go with more "centered" specs. But as you might have gathered from my post, I really like to drive the hell out of my car. Don't mind losing rubber doing hard 1 & 2 gear pulls. Love looking back & seeing a couple of perfect 20 yd. light strips of rubber on the road ripping 1st & 2nd & this is with TC on! I don't mind buying new MSSPs every 12K miles.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

I drive aggressive through my Idaho mountains and the turns are very twisty.
My street spec to save tires while going fast; 17 GS FE6
Front- R L
Camber -.7 -.9
Caster 7.3 to 7.5 +/- .2
Total Toe 0.10

Rear- R L
Camber -1.0 -1.0
Caster both 0.0 the same. Important
Total toe 0.0
Old 08-09-2018, 10:23 PM
robertlevine
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Personally, I think the default setup is just fine. I know that the dealer wasn't willing to even alter it for me (I asked after looking up settings online), so I was going to have to go to a local shop to balance them. I decided against it - and never looked back.

Rob
PS - Check out my blog at vetteblog.com and let me know what you think - I'd love honest feedback!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:31 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

When I get new non screw seeking tires, I will change the specs.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Try this set of numbers, mine is set with these (Performance Street - the top set) and I'm loving it. And I know, these came out for the C6.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

Last edited by Travelor; 08-10-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment specs for street car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment specs for street car?