C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who mounts Corvette tires

Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Redline Speed Worx in Green Brook NJ has a hunter tire machine. They handle all types of high end cars.

Full disclosure: I handle their accounting work.
The following users liked this post:
GreenGA (02-26-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 PM
phatpipez
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you do your homework. We're a new 2017 C7 owner, Went to a national tire shop to have our new all-season tires put on. They said at least 6 times that they could do it without scratching the chrome wheels (only 500 miles at the time). They scratched all four. Just received a check from their insurance company for $4K to replace them.

Last edited by phatpipez; 02-27-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Thankfully MacMulkin is right up the highway from me. They pretty much do a top notch job on everything. Have fully trained Vet technicians and their sales staff does not blow you off after you buy a vette. they mounted my AS3+ tires on an after market rim no problem. A+++++ dealership.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:06 AM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by phatpipez
Make sure you do your homework. We're a new 2017 C7 owner, Went to a national tire shop to have our new all-season tires put on. They said at least 6 times that they could do it without scratching the chrome wheels (only 500 miles at the time). They scratched all four. Just received a check from their insurance company for $4K to replace them.
Just curious about tire mounting on a Corvette chrome wheel. Is it possible to mount a tire on a Corvette wheel without dinging-up the wheel? I am thinking about getting custom chrome wheels for a GS. If it’s not possible to insure these type of wheels are not marred-up when mounting tires then I’ll just go with a cheaper wheel.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Greg2005
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Again, just like dealers, not all shops of the same branding are the same, and they vary in terms of employee experience, training, and equipage. We've heard accounts of the ever-popular Discount Tire screwing up wheels as well.

I'm willing to pay a little more at a Chevrolet dealer that I know sells and services a fair number of C7s simply because they have no excuse, and you can more easily extract a promise that they will repair or replace any damage they cause.
Just had the tires Foosh sold me mounted on new Black Chrome Z06 style wheels for my Z51 at a local tire shop that uses the Hunter machine exclusively. This after Costco scratched one and stopped. Fortunately Costco reimbursed me for a new one as they should. Now I need some nice weather to put them on the car, it's still in storage. Congrats on your SO Z51 Foosh.

Last edited by Greg2005; 02-28-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Foosh (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Just curious about tire mounting on a Corvette chrome wheel. Is it possible to mount a tire on a Corvette wheel without dinging-up the wheel? I am thinking about getting custom chrome wheels for a GS. If it’s not possible to insure these type of wheels are not marred-up when mounting tires then I’ll just go with a cheaper wheel.
While your concerns are very valid, I'd think you'd want to take up gs in Post #30 esp. since the shop is in your town. If it were me, I'd go "interview" them in person vs. looking at the website or talking on the phone. Just me tho.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:40 PM
harris48cars
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaguar dealer in Chantiily, Va. can do it.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:01 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Just picked my car up from the dealer. 100 to mount and balance all 4 tires that I supplied. I was out the door with state inspection and tax / fees for $126 bucks.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Have two sets, both mounted at Mavis here in NJ. No issues at all.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by harris48cars
Jaguar dealer in Chantiily, Va. can do it.
Va Tire and Auto has the correct machine. Koons GMC in Manassas does as well.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:10 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

I had to get my tire fixed in Morro Bay California. I stopped at a mom and pop tire shop who said they could do it. I was nervous but didn't have a choice. They let me positon the jack when my car was jacked up. They had an old tire machine I have no idea how old it was but they told me they fixed tires on high end cars alot. They did it the old fashioned way with the pry tools but would always lay down teflon blocks between the tire and tool. They did a perfect job with no scratches. It took twenty minutes to fix the tire and had no problem popping the beads.Of course I tipped the hell out of that young man. Can't remember the name of the shop but they were independent and had been in business since the fifties. This was on the front tire of a 2016 Z06.

Last edited by robertbruce; 03-02-2018 at 06:14 AM.
JerryU (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I use a independent Repair shop in Winston Salem NC, that specializes in bmw, Porsche. He has all the best equipment and is incredibley carefull when mounting and balancing my wheels. Always paints wheel weights to match my rims before install.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Town Fair Tire ruined my wheel, bought me a new one, then ruined that one too. I was on my third wheel before 3k miles after a flat.

I recommend you find yourself one of those ghetto "dub" wheel shops that have experience mounting tires on massive/expensive wheels. I did that and my wheel was flawless. Only downside is having to drive my brand new Grand Sport into a sketchy neighborhood.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I had to get my tire fixed in Morro Bay California. I stopped at a mom and pop tire shop who said they could do it. I was nervous but didn't have a choice. They let me positon the jack when my car was jacked up. They had an old tire machine I have no idea how old it was but they told me they fixed tires on high end cars alot. They did it the old fashioned way with the pry tools but would always lay down teflon blocks between the tire and tool. They did a perfect job with no scratches. It took twenty minutes to fix the tire and had no problem popping the beads.Of course I tipped the hell out of that young man. Can't remember the name of the shop but they were independent and had been in business since the fifties. This was on the front tire of a 2016 Z06.
I've said it to a couple people: it isn't the newness of the machine, it's the person and their knowledge (plus, knowing a few ingenious methods).
robertbruce (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Steven Anthony
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harris48cars
I’ve now been to four tire stores. All national tire companies. Three said that wouldn’t touch them. One company said they could change them but would not guarantee the rim would not be damaged. I will check with the dealer tomorrow. Any advice?
Gary
i work at Healey Chevy in poughkeepsie ny, we do vette tires all the time . We have a hunter touches tire machine

Last edited by Steven Anthony; 03-02-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I use a local Firestone Complete. They treat my vettes with kit gloves and have now swapped 4 sets of tires total without a scratch. I used a Chevy Dealership once, and they scratched the crap out of my wheels.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,600 Likes on 6,614 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
They did it the old fashioned way with the pry tools but would always lay down Teflon blocks between the tire and tool. They did a perfect job with no scratches. It took twenty minutes to fix the tire and had no problem popping the beads.Of course I tipped the hell out of that young man. Can't remember the name of the shop but they were independent and had been in business since the fifties. This was on the front tire of a 2016 Z06.
Originally Posted by AORoads
I've said it to a couple people: it isn't the newness of the machine, it's the person and their knowledge (plus, knowing a few ingenious methods).
My experience with the best shop in town (or was,) a 12 bay Firestone store, where of their ~20 Techs only 2 or 3 are "allowed" to do wide, low profile run flats etc. Have watched as it was being done on my Z51 but even with their one touchless tire machine it takes careful work by the skilled Tech! Recall one apologizing for the time it was taking on my Z51 as I stood outside the service bay (my usual MO at a tire shop or dealer service) and I said, take all the time you need, there will be a nice tip!

We have a Discount Tire that recently moved into our town and I checked out their equipment with the manager. It uses Teflon on some of the surfaces of their tire machine and the manager said they can handle the wide run flats on my Grand Sport. Bought tire insurance for the Grand Sport for $250 ($75 less than what Firestone wanted.) Yesterday bought the same insurance for the wife's new BMW X5 SUV. It has 275/20 front and 315/20 rear tires! Lots of tread area on the outer edges where a flat cannot be repaired. That cost was $180.

With all these wide tires, need a good tire shop!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-03-2018 at 08:52 AM.
robertbruce (03-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Who mounts Corvette tires

Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 PM
blackvette86
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RFZ
wow, i don't understand the problem, i change my tires over my friends house who has tire machine. while they are a little more difficult than some other tires we have no problem.
There's no "good" old school tire mechanics anymore. Like all old school guys they are all gone now. Mostly it's because most big tire shops don't train installers good anymore nor want to pay for a good one. They are more interested in hiring minimum wage kids and just let them go at it for themselves. And forget about getting an inner tube installed in a tire anymore. Last shop I was at the person didn't even know what an inner tube was. LOL. You need to find a tire shop with someone over 50+ years old to get it done right.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 AM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Discount Tire has put on two new sets for me. All they've said is that it takes a little longer to do.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 AM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Thumbs up for Discount Tire here too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who mounts Corvette tires