Insurance Company Question/Anger

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:57 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Just throwing this out there, didn't research it first. Why isn't there companies who only insure cars. Seems then when mother nature wipes out half a state, it wouldn't cause car ins. rates to go up unless it was something like Hurricane Harvey which flooded a whole passel of cars, even that wouldn't bump rates anywhere near when ins. companies try to recoup for multiple disasters across the U.S. Just wondering. Someone will probably clue me in with hard facts & then I'll have to pull a Homer Simpson "DOH"!
Most disasters that also cause damage/loss to fixed location assets will also impact automotive and the impact can easily be bigger for cars compared to houses. Hail damage is a classic example of this sort of automotive loss. Significant damage to structures from hail generally requires either very large diameter "hard frozen" hail and/or hail that is wind driven achieving high velocity into windows and siding rather than falling straight down. But even relatively small diameter hail that is not wind driven can do an incredible amount of damage to vehicles and that potential has increased in recent years as even light gauge steel and aluminum is used for car panels resulting in damage from ever smaller diameter hail.

As others noted the problems from distracted driving is increasing and I am afraid that some of the improvement from "safety" devices are going to be offset by a further increase in distracted driving. Warning and/or automatic braking systems can protect from some distracted driving crashes BUT they will also lead many drivers to be less attentive to what is going on around them. When driving I try to be aware of what is happening several cars ahead and behind so that I can be prepared for proactive and avoidance behavior. If I see a sudden slowdown common to interstates right after something bad happens I will prepare for action long before a safety braking system would be alerted by the car directly in front slowing or braking. When I am coming to a stop in town I try to make sure I have an escape path if someone coming up behind clearly isn't paying attention. I check for people blowing through red lights after the change rather than starting and suddenly stopping and likely getting rear ended from the person behind me.

Call me cynical but I don't expect to see overall driving safety to markedly improve anytime soon regardless of technology implementation so expect auto rates to keep rising.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Was with Amica for 39 years and decided to get a quote from USAA. That was three years ago and I saved $850 for combined home + two vehicles. Switched back to Amica last year and saved $750. Their renewal just came in at a combined 20% increase. Live in Houston and did have a car flood at the airport during Harvey, and from what I am hearing there are a lot of across the board increases in Texas, likely to recoup losses from the storm.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta

Customer loyalty means something.
Not any more, only the look-back period matters.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default thanks but nope

Originally Posted by joemessman
Do yourself a favor and get quote from Progressive. Good rates, and when it comes to the acid test and you file a claim they step right up. Give'm a try. This my experience over 15 years.
about 100 bucks higher then my current situation, thanks for the idea
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 05:03 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default I will keep looking....

............thanks for the ideas/companies. I guess my biggest frustration is the grouping together (by actuaries, underwriters, etc.) by location, by age, etc. That individuals are not and they/we are tied together into statistical ghettos. I understand the need when dealing with a large customer base but it still stinks.....
Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 PM
CECUBB
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Try AAA. They bundled my cars and homeowners and saved $900 year over State Farm. Shortly thereafter I got a big speeding ticket and the carrier cancelled me. AAA found another carrier for $50 a year less! They write with many carriers and cover all cars including my C7 and street rod.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Insurance companies often offer a teaser rate to get you to switch than move the rate back up in year two. In addition insurance companies are increasingly putting more emphasis on credit ratings when setting rates. If your credit rating changes expect a rate change.

Quick Reply: Insurance Company Question/Anger