Downward trend in sales continue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:17 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I think where GM made a mistake was with rolling out the 2019 MY cars so quick. There were still lots of 2017's on the lot and 18's were shipping when the 19's were annouinced. One of the big Chevy dealers near me is frustrated because he has a pile of 17's and 18's and GM is offering little incentive right now so most cusomters, of course, would rather have a 19.
That was a marketing blunder.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:18 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I think where GM made a mistake was with rolling out the 2019 MY cars so quick. There were still lots of 2017's on the lot and 18's were shipping when the 19's were annouinced. One of the big Chevy dealers near me is frustrated because he has a pile of 17's and 18's and GM is offering little incentive right now so most cusomters, of course, would rather have a 19.
That's just unfathomable.

What's worse is their inability to keep a future Corvette under wraps so that a sizable % of buyers forestall their decision waiting for some friggin vaporware mobile. That just kills everything - GM new C7 sales, existing car resale value, etc. I mean not for nothing, lusting after a 'mid-engine Corvette' (the automotive equivalent of the friggin unicorn for the last 50 years) is all well and good, but that stupid show me the car already you ******** product may not be available in showrooms for ANOTHER 18-24 MONTHS and it has already be killing sales of this car for over a year now.

WhatEVER. Love my 2017 C7, that's all good. As for all these posts that say '460 bhp isn't all that anymore'. Uh-huh. I have a VERY hard time unleashing MY lowly stock Stingray car on the roads around here, and I live in a place with great rural/semi-rural sports car roads.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
After Ford spent $2B to redesign their first generation Taurus, sales dropped by 1/3rd due to the ugly rear window design. Ford immediately went back to the drawing board, and spent a huge amount of money to change the rear window design from an oval to a rectangular shape, and sales went back to normal after the change.

Moral to this story...be careful what you wish for, as the "new" might not be as appealing as the "old".
Everything in that damn car was oval!

"The interior was also completely redesigned for the 1996 model year. The gauges were placed in an oval pod while the dashboard wrapped slightly around the driver; all of the main controls were placed within easy reach, and were designed to be recognizable by touch and to be operated by drivers without taking their eyes off the road. The controls for the radio and climate control (some of which, like the preset buttons, were oval shaped) were combined into an oval-shaped "Integrated Control Panel" mounted in the center of the dash.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 03-02-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The other issue is used Corvettes are now down in the mid to high $30K range which makes buying used really attractive.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 03-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:34 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad

What's worse is their inability to keep a future Corvette under wraps so that a sizable % of buyers forestall their decision waiting for some friggin vaporware mobile. That just kills everything - GM new C7 sales, existing car resale value, etc. I mean not for nothing, lusting after a 'mid-engine Corvette' (the automotive equivalent of the friggin unicorn for the last 50 years) is all well and good, but that stupid show me the car already you ******** product may not be available in showrooms for ANOTHER 18-24 MONTHS and it has already be killing sales of this car for over a year now.

WhatEVER. Love my 2017 C7, that's all good. As for all these posts that say '460 bhp isn't all that anymore'. Uh-huh. I have a VERY hard time unleashing MY lowly stock Stingray car on the roads around here, and I live in a place with great rural/semi-rural sports car roads.
Agreed. The rumors are all over the place and I have actually had people (who are not even car enthusaiasts) ask me if I am going to sell my C7 for the new mid engine Corvette this year (because they saw it on Fox/CNN/NBC).

There is not one reason why sales are down, its a bunch of them but anyone who thinks sales should either be up or the same as last year are fooling themselves. I doubt GM expects sales to go up in the fifth model year either.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
The other issue is used Corvettes are now down in the mid to high $30K range which makes buying used really attractive.
And many used C7's are garage queens with very low mileage, some of which have never seen rain or snow.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:51 AM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

I wonder if the used car inventory of C7's effects this? I am in the market and looking at 2015's and 2016's...
Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

A lot of good points made. I for one see the C8 as a factor with new vette sales. I dont think I would have jumped on the ZR1 fan boy club regardless, I dont see the ZR1 as that major of a step forward for the C7. I see it more like that is what the Z06 should have been and I think a lot of others may feel the same way.

I cant imagine anyone dropping $130K on a ZR1 when the C8 is right around the corner, that has to be impacting sale I'm sure.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
GM overproduced before the shutdown because that is what you DO.

Since you can't manufacture product for a set period of time, you over produce a mix of cars you "think" people will order.

It's just how "build-outs" are done. It's better to have to discount the cars later than to lose sales entirely because you have no product to sell a customer.
GM does not produce a mix of Corvettes that they "think' people will order.

GM ONLY builds Corvettes that the dealers order. The dealers order what they "think" their individual customers will buy.

Photos of the storage lot at Bowling Green is not full of unsold cars that GM built "thinking" that the dealers will buy someday. Those cars were built to specific orders by GM's dealers and are waiting to be loaded up on trucks to deliver to the dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
JALLEN4 (03-02-2018), JerryU (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by JayhawkCPA
I wonder if the used car inventory of C7's effects this? I am in the market and looking at 2015's and 2016's...
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=CORV
Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad

I'm from Arizona and we need all the horsepower we can get around here. We can take advantage of it. Believe me.
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

GM does not produce a mix of Corvettes that they "think' people will order.

GM ONLY builds Corvettes that the dealers order. The dealers order what they "think" their individual customers will buy.

Photos of the storage lot at Bowling Green is not full of unsold cars that GM built "thinking" that the dealers will buy someday. Those cars were built to specific orders by GM's dealers and are waiting to be loaded up on trucks to deliver to the dealers.
Not entirely true. The dealers are "encouraged" to order specific types of cars for the build out. This is done through dealer incentives and placing items on restriction (or constriction I think in GM terminology).

Marketing and Manufacturing have a huge say, since a build-out requires a cohesive support from the supply chain (what extra parts need to be ordered and from who), and the sales channel (how do we need to discount or incentivize models).

The dealer gets a lot of "kick-back" (aka bonuses) for reaching goals that OEMs set. You can't meet the goals if you don't order the right mix of cars.
Foosh (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

They will continue to drop. None of this should be a surprise:
1. Car sales continue to fall as the trend is to buy trucks and SUV's.
2. The C7 hit dealer lots in 2013. It's 2018 with very little changes since 2013. Most people who bought a Corvette by now did and with little changes there is not much reason to trade up.
3. Used market. There are tons of low mileage used ones. Some people (raises hand) went that route vs buying new.
4. There are 2017's, 18's, and now 19's on the lots with not that much difference in pricing. It's a bizarre time to buy a new Corvette for sure.
It happens to every generation. They propped up sales 18 months ago with huge incentives. That will continue. There is a limited market for a two seat Chevrolet no matter how good of a car it is. GM can live with that and the huge discounts as the engineering and tooling is amortized.

I still contend the mid engine car is not a C7 replacement. I expect it to be a more expensive running mate that will sell in much smaller numbers.

Last edited by jschindler; 03-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Not by 40%

GM sales since 2014 in the US and Canada.

2018(Jan & Feb).......198,548

Now compare the "drop" in sales for the Corvette since 2014........
Typical, Joe. Misusing "statistics" to show your hatred of the C7. First of all, Corvette sales were down 35%, not 40%. Second, the GM figures you quote above are not just "car" sales, they are total vehicle sales including CUVs, SUVs and trucks. There has been a significant shift in consumer buying away from cars to CUVs, SUVs and trucks. If you look at the details, you will see that. Car sales are down significantly more than your figures represent. Finally, your 2018 number is not correct. That reflects only US January sales. Feb US is 220,905.

source: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gener...sales-numbers/

I should also point out that your figures are actually just US, not US and Canada as you stated.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 03-02-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Foosh (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

If there is one, I should go to the Chevy Impala forums just to see how they're reacting based on the OP's pdf link. They gotta be typing in straitjackets at this point.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:26 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I think what we are seeing is a version of the Osborne Effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

The Osborne effect is a term referring to the unintended consequences of a company announcing a future product, unaware of the risks involved or when the timing is misjudged, which ends up having a negative impact on the sales of the current product. This is often the case when a product is announced too long before its actual availability. This has the immediate effect of customers canceling or deferring orders for the current product, knowing that it will soon be obsolete, and any unexpected delays often means the new product comes to be perceived as vaporware, damaging the company's credibility and profitability. The term was coined after the Osborne Computer Corporation, in which the company took more than a year to make its next product available and eventually ran out of cash and went bankrupt in 1985.
GM is well-known for being tight-lipped about future projects, but they have been unable to manage other people speculating. And given what the press is saying, there are a number of loose cannons inside GM and the supplier network who have intentionally leaked information despite any NDAs they have signed. We don't know if the press is faking it about these insiders in an attempt to boost their credibility or if it is real information, but the bottom line is that it doesn't matter as the damage is done.
LT1 Z51 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:32 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Not by 40%

GM sales since 2014 in the US and Canada.

2018(Jan & Feb).......198,548

Now compare the "drop" in sales for the Corvette since 2014........
Implying that the C7 is a sales failure (a dubious contention, that depends on the metric you use) isn't supported by observing that a newly re-designed Corvette sales numbers progressively drop even while overall sales increase. Corvette sales have generally always dropped as the new design ages and/or customers anticipate an impending re-design. That's a long established pattern in Corvette sales history that's not necessarily linked to GM overall sales results.

Another post above says that you're 'anti-C7'. I don't know if that's the case, but if you don't like the C7 I'm just curious why?

I'm curious how the base price of the Corvette over 30 years relates to median household income and if the % of that income necessary to cover the base price of the car is higher or lower now than in say 1988. Maybe the car is pricier (adjusted for inflation) than it was for the C4, C5, C6. Maybe it's cheaper. I don't know. But if it's pricier, that might help explain sales results.

Get notified of new replies

To Downward trend in sales continue

Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

I have a 2011 C6 that suits me fine... better than fine. I am on the C7 site more than I am on the C6’s. I do like the C7. But when I got the itch for a new one, talk popped up here on the new ME C8. Well, I have had my C6 for seven years, what’s one, maybe two more. I don’t want to take two hits going from a C6 to a C7, then to a C8, so I am waiting to at least see the C8. If I like the styling, which I think I will, if the real thing looks at least as good as other’s renderings, and the price fits me, I’ll be glad I waited. If not, then I can look at the C7s again, and I can only assume there will be major discounts on them, what with the C8 out. So here I sit, waiting. Just my reason why Chevy sold one less C7.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jschindler
It happens to every generation. They propped up sales 18 months ago with huge incentives. That will continue. There is a limited market for a two seat Chevrolet no matter how good of a car it is. GM can live with that and the huge discounts as the engineering and tooling is amortized.

I still contend the mid engine car is not a C7 replacement. I expect it to be a more expensive running mate that will sell in much smaller numbers.
Per the bolded part I am thinking more and more you are correct. If not GM very well could price the Corvette out of many driveways. For every Z06 owner there are many more base owners who bought one for $50K or less. If a base midengine started at $70K (with zero options, we both know most of them will be north of $80K) even with 10% off MSRP you are well into the $60's.
The following 2 users liked this post by thill444:
jschindler (03-06-2018), LT1 Z51 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mazurekd
I have a 2011 C6 that suits me fine... better than fine. I am on the C7 site more than I am on the C6’s. I do like the C7. But when I got the itch for a new one, talk popped up here on the new ME C8. Well, I have had my C6 for seven years, what’s one, maybe two more. I don’t want to take two hits going from a C6 to a C7, then to a C8, so I am waiting to at least see the C8. If I like the styling, which I think I will, if the real thing looks at least as good as other’s renderings, and the price fits me, I’ll be glad I waited. If not, then I can look at the C7s again, and I can only assume there will be major discounts on them, what with the C8 out. So here I sit, waiting. Just my reason why Chevy sold one less C7.
You could get a great deal on a C7. Drive that one many years then buy a C8 when those are heavily discounted. There won't be many discounts for the first year or two on C8's. Unless GM misses the mark.

Quick Reply: Downward trend in sales continue