Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering moving to an auto trans....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:38 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I've never considered an auto.I'm recouping from my 3rd knee(clutch), surgery and still not considering it.

Maybe someday.

\db2
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Porsche. Reversed its decision to have a model with "automatic" only (regardless if it's called DCT or any other name).

As to the OP, tell 'em---anyone who dares ask---you're "still shifting." You're just "shifting" from a manual trans to an automatic. Every day you drive your new car, it's an example of your "shifting" isn't it? I think so. Good luck no matter what you choose, or why.
Yep. Porsche and Corvette are the last two.

Soon to be one or zero.

Not much any of us can do about it.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

We are so far off topic on this one...I was simply asking about the reliability of the auto trans....given all the issues. So, in keeping with the 'off topicness' what's not to like about the 2018 Mustang 10-speed automatic?

Old 03-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Same here, had DCT in an M3, PDK in a Porsche, and ZF8 in a Jaguar F-Type, and all are boring to me in comparison the awesome M7, especially when auto-rev-match makes you look so good.

Nonsense, any intelligent person realizes it's purely a matter of personal preference. As I said above, I purchased many of the best auto trans sports cars, but just couldn't love them, as awesome as they were from a performance standpoint.

The "auto is the only choice" crowd is every bit, if not more, oppressive when it comes to pushing their choice. That always causes folks with different preferences to voice their opinions.
Back on-topic, yes the A8 is very reliable. Questionable 3 or so years ago but today wouldn't have any reservations about recommending it.

As for the other posts, the truth is the choice is just that- choice based on a lot of personal factors. Either platform is capable but with different strengths and weaknesses depending on perspective and priorities. That's the beauty of today's offerings. Choice is a beautiful thing...

As to the comment about the auto-only crowd, I respectfully disagree based on the tone and tenor of most threads. The "manual only" crowd more readily tends to run around with a seemingly testosterone charged mandate that either you drive a stick or are somehow unworthy of the mantle of whatever is viewed as a "sports car". Silly and childish on countless levels but pervasive here. The views of some here sadly re-inforce the negative "Corvette Guy" image.

I get it and admittedly was there for years. I've been blessed to enjoy both, always leaning toward the manual equipped vehicles viewing them as more enjoyable and somehow more "pure" from a performance perspective. My recent deliberate and intentional choice was to spend a LOT of money for me on a brand new, loaded C7 Z06 equipped with the blasphemic automatic transmission (and even worse for some a convertible) was based on wants- exceptional performance and needs- reliable daily driver in horrendous traffic. I drove an M7 and was thoroughly impressed but the A8 was better for what I wanted and needed. Is the A8 better? Nope, just different...

The truth of the matter is Corvettes are built for different individuals. Personally, I am a purist preferring a manual transmission but realized the auto is a fine piece of kit and excellent at what it does. I've owned many manual transmission vehicles over the years including a particular recent 2-door marvel of modern engineering. Was it better than an auto version? Debatable, depending on conditions and intended function. Was it more fun with the manual? Again, debatable until traffic gets thick or challenged by the occasional stop-light challenger.

Arguing the preference between an auto or manual transmission is like arguing if day or night is better. Both have merit and to say one or the other is better or worse indicates a myopic and selfish perspective.

Please allow me put it in simpler terms- stop being an a$$hole regardless of what you bought or prefer, just debate on the objective merits. I know that's impossible on an open forum but one can continue to hope folks will either debate the merits or move along...

Everyone needs to get over it and just be respectful in general. Foosh makes the best point of all:
Originally Posted by Foosh
Nonsense, any intelligent person realizes it's purely a matter of personal preference.
Now, back to my meds...

Very respectfully,

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 03-03-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
We are so far off topic on this one...I was simply asking about the reliability of the auto trans....given all the issues. So, in keeping with the 'off topicness' what's not to like about the 2018 Mustang 10-speed automatic?

Other than it's in a Mustang and built by FoMoCo, nothing...

Allen
Old 03-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,693 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
It's not about need, it's about want. Why can't you get it into your head that some people simply prefer automatic?
If you've never learned to drive a stick (which is true of most of the driving population) it can be about needing to drive an auto, right?

I'm trying to picture in my mind someone who has never driven a manual walking onto a dealer lot purchasing a Z06/M7 and then driving it off the lot.

I strongly encouraged all (3) of my daughters to learn to drive a stick, but I can't say is was easy teaching them.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'm trying to picture in my mind someone who has never driven a manual walking onto a dealer lot purchasing a Z06/M7 and then driving it off the lot.

Great point and I wonder about this at times as well. With so many horses to the rear, its a recipe for a real mess for someone whose never driven a high performance car. Ferrari/Lambo recognized this a long time ago and moved to dual clutch for a variety of reasons, namely people spending a load of cash and not being able to get anywhere near the performance capability of the car in manual and/or destroying their car or themselves in the process.

Where this debate gets completely nonsensical is when some resort to the 'macho gear shifting' narrative which then becomes the central point of reference for those bashing autos. Hilarious!
Old 03-03-2018, 09:30 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd also say that because 80-90% of teens and young adults have never driven a stick, my M7 has about an 80-90% less chance of being stolen!
Old 03-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
If you've never learned to drive a stick (which is true of most of the driving population) it can be about needing to drive an auto, right?

The sales rep at my local dealership (not where I bought the 'Vette from) and I had an entertaining conversation about this.

She admitted she was barely able to drive a manual, which was funny since we bought a stick shift car (a Sonic RS) for my daughter and test drove a C7 Z06. I hadn't noticed she didn't go on the test drive in the Sonic but did think it was funny she was quite happy for me to drive the Z06 out of it's parking space and off the lot which was contrary to the usual policy. She was quite candid that she was a little uneasy with attempting to pilot the Z06 but willing to give it a go if needed. I asked if she ever had a customer hop into a stick shift car without knowing how to drive it and she just rolled her eyes and admitted it had happened and was horrendous!

My daughter learned in the Sonic and drove the previous M6 C6 without issue but even she admits she's the very rare exception today. She took her driver's test in the manual Sonic and smoked it; I have to believe her mastery of a manual garnered her a few points with the evaluator. I have to laugh that the greatest theft deterrent for my daughter's little Sonic (surprisingly nice and fun little car BTW) is the drivetrain...

Allen
Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

If the question is about reliability, that's a much simpler answer. In descending order of number of problems, you have

Stingray A8
Z06 M7
Z06 A8

Yes, that's right, in the Z the A8 generates fewer problems, based on the forums, than the M7. But in the Stingray the A8 is the source of a lot of converter problems.

Last edited by davepl; 03-03-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The A8 has been an unmitigated disaster - if this C7 forum is any indication of their problems. Not sure how to interpret the claim as how the M7 has been more problematic? -That's a new one on me. The A8 has repeatedly been reported as; "always searching for the right gear." -That, from lifelong Chevy Kool-aid drinkers..... No telling if you're going to draw the short straw when buying an A8 - that's anyone's guess......if you're that unlucky.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Back on-topic, yes the A8 is very reliable. Questionable 3 or so years ago but today wouldn't have any reservations about recommending it.

As for the other posts, the truth is the choice is just that- choice based on a lot of personal factors. Either platform is capable but with different strengths and weaknesses depending on perspective and priorities. That's the beauty of today's offerings. Choice is a beautiful thing...

As to the comment about the auto-only crowd, I respectfully disagree based on the tone and tenor of most threads. The "manual only" crowd more readily tends to run around with a seemingly testosterone charged mandate that either you drive a stick or are somehow unworthy of the mantle of whatever is viewed as a "sports car". Silly and childish on countless levels but pervasive here. The views of some here sadly re-inforce the negative "Corvette Guy" image.

I get it and admittedly was there for years. I've been blessed to enjoy both, always leaning toward the manual equipped vehicles viewing them as more enjoyable and somehow more "pure" from a performance perspective. My recent deliberate and intentional choice was to spend a LOT of money for me on a brand new, loaded C7 Z06 equipped with the blasphemic automatic transmission (and even worse for some a convertible) was based on wants- exceptional performance and needs- reliable daily driver in horrendous traffic. I drove an M7 and was thoroughly impressed but the A8 was better for what I wanted and needed. Is the A8 better? Nope, just different...

The truth of the matter is Corvettes are built for different individuals. Personally, I am a purist preferring a manual transmission but realized the auto is a fine piece of kit and excellent at what it does. I've owned many manual transmission vehicles over the years including a particular recent 2-door marvel of modern engineering. Was it better than an auto version? Debatable, depending on conditions and intended function. Was it more fun with the manual? Again, debatable until traffic gets thick or challenged by the occasional stop-light challenger.

Arguing the preference between an auto or manual transmission is like arguing if day or night is better. Both have merit and to say one or the other is better or worse indicates a myopic and selfish perspective.

Please allow me put it in simpler terms- stop being an a$$hole regardless of what you bought or prefer, just debate on the objective merits. I know that's impossible on an open forum but one can continue to hope folks will either debate the merits or move along...

Everyone needs to get over it and just be respectful in general. Foosh makes the best point of all:

Now, back to my meds...

Very respectfully,

Allen
Please explain the improvements GM has made to make the A8 less problematic since its introduction.
The following 2 users liked this post by MSG C5:
$$$frumnuttin' (03-04-2018), Skid Row Joe (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 11:22 PM
rbweddle
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, guys and gals. I am OLD and like my A8. That being said, my 2nd vette was '74 454 BB with 4 speed. You needed manual with that engine. My present ride is '16 Stingray with A8. I am still trying to handle paddle shift. My previous ride was '05 Cadillac XLR, made in Bowling Green, with A5 but you slide shifter to left and used handle to shift through gears. Much easier than paddle and felt more like manual. Vette should change to that with C8
Old 03-03-2018, 11:25 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If the question is about reliability, that's a much simpler answer. In descending order of number of problems, you have

Stingray A8
Z06 M7
Z06 A8

Yes, that's right, in the Z the A8 generates fewer problems, based on the forums, than the M7. But in the Stingray the A8 is the source of a lot of converter problems.
Can you quantify that claim? First of all, forum complaints always exceed forum compliments. Secondly, the only forum M7 complaint I have heard involves drivers claiming the M7 cold shifts are a little more difficult than when the tranny warms up. Anything else is bitching about missed gears which (cough) is not really a tranny problem.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Same move from a stick (C6 M6) to the A8 and zero regrets...
Same here. 06 C6 M6 to 16 C7 A8. No regrets whatsoever. Only have 4600 miles on it but zero problems.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Can you quantify that claim? First of all, forum complaints always exceed forum compliments. Secondly, the only forum M7 complaint I have heard involves drivers claiming the M7 cold shifts are a little more difficult than when the tranny warms up. Anything else is bitching about missed gears which (cough) is not really a tranny problem.
Yeah, I'm having a little trouble with those unsubstantiated claims as well.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-04-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Quote added due to intervening post
Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The only problem with the M7, are incompetent drivers. I missed a shift this afternoon in my M7 C7. I'm going to the press Monday morning with it!

Get notified of new replies

To Considering moving to an auto trans....

Old 03-04-2018, 12:39 AM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I love manuals, especially for a Sports Car and unless it’s a daily driver, that is my first choice.
However, nobody here mentions asthetics or the ‘look’ of things and I must say that everytime I see the automatic shifter in the Corvette it litterally makes me shake my head because it is so ugly, so ordinary and cheap!
If you look at the automatic shifters at some other Sports Cars including the Ferraris, Audis etc. they are visually appealing and I would have no problem getting one in those vehicles.
Just my honest opinion😉
Old 03-04-2018, 12:53 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I say again, getting judgmental about this topic is ridiculous. As long as there is a choice, purchase what you prefer . . . end of discussion.

If it's a question of reliability, it would appear that earlier A8 problems have largely subsided in later models, although I think high-mileage reliability is still probably an open question, since very few of these cars have gotten to that level yet.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-04-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:34 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rbweddle
OK, guys and gals. I am OLD and like my A8. That being said, my 2nd vette was '74 454 BB with 4 speed. You needed manual with that engine. My present ride is '16 Stingray with A8. I am still trying to handle paddle shift. My previous ride was '05 Cadillac XLR, made in Bowling Green, with A5 but you slide shifter to left and used handle to shift through gears. Much easier than paddle and felt more like manual. Vette should change to that with C8
That would be like going backwards in time.

The whole reason the shifter is NOW ON the steering wheel is so you dont have to take your hands off the wheel to shift.

Quick Reply: Considering moving to an auto trans....