Looking at my first Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 PM
jcbravata
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at my first Corvette

Hello:
Always wanted a corvette and the time has come to make my dream a reality. I was seeking a convertible, 1LT. When I got to the dealer, they were not high on the convertible. They had a fully loaded coupe, 3LT/Z51 package. So my question - convertible 1LT or couple 3LT/Z51 package. Price is comparable so that is not an issue.

Welcome any feedback as I'm new to this car. Thank you.

Christopher
Old 03-03-2018, 12:56 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,589 Posts

It's just personal preference. Prefer convertibles myself as the it's such a fine experience driving a C7 convertible on a beautiful day. Much less road noise, I like having an actual trunk and they hold their value much better than coups.
Drive both and make your own decision.
Read this thread, might help!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ht-a-vert.html

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-03-2018 at 01:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It's just personal preference.
Perfect Link Selection
Old 03-03-2018, 01:12 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

As Kevin said, coupe vs 'vert is personal taste,
For the "add ons", FWIW
For normal driving IMO the base Stingray with a 2LT gives the most bang for the buck...
For track use, upgrading to Z51 or Z06 starts to make sense, but at a cost...
When I was on the hunt for my C7, I had a 3LT Z51, 3LT Z06 and 2LT Stingray to choose from and for my use (mostly cruising with an occasional trip to the track), the Stingray made the most sense, as I would not be using the Z's to anywhere near their capability.
FFWIW, I couldn't be happier with my selection.
snappy2u (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:17 AM
NGaVette
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Two totally different cars....I agree with above posts. I thought i couldn't live without a z51 but I don't plan on tracking my car so I just bought a Stingray. I have owned convertibles and when top is down car looks great! Good luck you cant go wrong with any corvette.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:24 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbravata
Hello:
Always wanted a corvette and the time has come to make my dream a reality. I was seeking a convertible, 1LT. When I got to the dealer, they were not high on the convertible. They had a fully loaded coupe, 3LT/Z51 package. So my question - convertible 1LT or couple 3LT/Z51 package. Price is comparable so that is not an issue.

Christopher
Well of course they wouldn't want to push a convertible. They had a coupe to sell.

If you want a convertible, and there really is no comparison for a topless experience, then buy a convertible! Wait until you can find one that fits all your criteria.
The following 5 users liked this post by owc6:
Atomic6 (03-04-2018), DALE#3 (03-03-2018), direct007 (03-03-2018), Rebel Yell (03-03-2018), Skid Row Joe (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:41 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Unless you're strapped for money, there's no reason to buy a stripped 1LT. Unless you are going to street race the car, you won't need a Z51 racing features Corvette. Unless you think it through, you won't be buying a hatchback. The convertible is much more versatile than fooling with the equivalent of '70s T-tops and a hatchback.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Convertibles aren't as easy to find as the coupes, so the chances of scoring a good deal on a coupe are much greater than those of scoring a deal on a convertible.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The convertible in and of itself is an experience. If I was buying a convertible, I might opt for a higher trim level. 2LT or 3LT give you the heated and cooled seat option, which I think would really make top-down motoring a better experience. (Cooled seats to help the A/C during the summer, and heated seats to keep you warm during the colder seasons). I can tell you that the roof on the coupe is a bit cumbersome to remove and store in the back. It's not very heavy, but it is large. I'm 6'4 with long arms and I keep myself in decent shape. I don't enjoy removing and replacing the roof on my car. It attaches with four dowel pins that you have to line up. The front pins have gaskets on them that sometimes come loose and have to be adjusted or replaced, all while you are trying to keep the roof from falling into the cabin. My Corvette lives in the garage and is a weekend cruiser, so during the summer, I might just take the roof off and leave it off until either the season or necessity force me to replace it. A convertible gives you the convenience of just pushing a button.

As for the Z51 option, it's great for performance, but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with a non-Z51 Stingray. The ride is a little softer, and it goes just as fast when you stab the throttle. If it has mag ride, the suspension is just as tight as the Z51 when it is in track mode. If I was buying a Vette just for straight cruising, Z51 wouldn't be a priority for me. However, if you enjoy spirited backroad drives and full-throttle highway entries, as I do, Z51 gives you some nice features. I wanted a Z51 for the tighter suspension, bigger brakes, and electronic diff.

If I were in your shoes, I would look around for a 2LT convertible or try to order one from the factory. In my opinion, it would be worth it. If you want a convertible, skip the coupe.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Well of course they wouldn't want to push a convertible. They had a coupe to sell.

If you want a convertible, and there really is no comparison for a topless experience, then buy a convertible! Wait until you can find one that fits all your criteria.
Exactly what I was thinking; if lot had been full of convertibles they probably would have never even showed you a coup.

As far as trim levels:
1LT (STD) - is a nicely equipped sports car with a lot of amenities especially combined with a Grand Sport's features.

2LT ($4500) - adds features such as vented seats, side-bolster/lumber adj added to std power seat, HUD, extra speaker, auto-dimming mirrors, front camera.
Nice features however just wasn't worth $4500 to me since I find the HUD distracting, especially considering the amazing C7 dash and my convertible AC will freeze you even on 90 degree days so couldn't justify the vented seats. Front camera is nice but been driving Vettes for 45 years and never ran up on anything yet. The $4500 can pay for the convertible up-grade from the coup.

3LT ($10,000) - Crazy to me (just my opinion) for basically a PDR/NAV and upgraded leather which often seems to equal a pain in the *** dash replacement in your new C7.

Have you considered narrow-body (Stingray) vs Wide-body (GS/Z06)?
I ask this because I've been a C2/C3 guy for 45 years and when I recently became interested in C7s I did't even know there was a difference. Just knew I liked the looks of some (wide-body) A LOT, and others (narrow-body) no where near as much.

All-n-All buy what you like as it's all just personal preference.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-03-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Rebel Yell (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

For me it's a convertible, I don't drive her without the top down soooo if its raining she's tucked away till rain stops, I wouldn't-----didn't let pricing sway me from what I wanted. When I went in they of course didn't have what I wanted so I ordered it. Buy what you want...enjoy it and never look back.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

So my question - convertible 1LT or couple 3LT/Z51 package. Price is comparable so that is not an issue.

Christopher
All personal preference. On my 5th Vette, all coupes, ordered and built to order for exactly what I wanted. Would not have a Vert if the price were equal.

Would also not own an LT1 as HUD, memory seats with adjustable lumbar, front camera and the rear subwoofer for me are essential. 2LT is fine and 3LT gets some extra “stuff” at a high extra price. My 2014 Z51 was a 3LT but a 2LT Grand Sport had all the features I wanted an ordered.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-03-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:57 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Dude, there are 1000s of new Corvettes available in all colors, trims, packages, transmissions across the US or you can special order. Don’t be swayed by what a dealership is pushing...figure it out and go get it.
The following 4 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
bgspot (03-05-2018), JerryU (03-03-2018), Rebel Yell (03-03-2018), Woodson (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:26 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Trust me, if you want convertible, don't settle for coupe, get what you want, cause you might not be happy after all and done, you settled for something you really didn't want.
I would not get the Z51 package, BUT would get 2LT or 3LT package.

Right now I also am looking for used specific convertible with 2LT or 3LT package with no Z51, and specific color.
When I sold my last car which was convertible corvette, and bought coupe thinking I would be happy, well after several years it's time to buy what I should bought to begin with, and not settle for second best.
Skid Row Joe (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:38 AM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 516 Likes on 304 Posts

Nothing but a Vert for me, top down is the most fun of all, but decision is yours.
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It's just personal preference. Prefer convertibles myself as the it's such a fine experience driving a C7 convertible on a beautiful day. Much less road noise, I like having an actual trunk and they hold their value much better than coups.
or this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-section.html
Old 03-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Billy346
Convertibles aren't as easy to find as the coupes, so the chances of scoring a good deal on a coupe are much greater than those of scoring a deal on a convertible.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The convertible in and of itself is an experience. If I was buying a convertible, I might opt for a higher trim level. 2LT or 3LT give you the heated and cooled seat option, which I think would really make top-down motoring a better experience. (Cooled seats to help the A/C during the summer, and heated seats to keep you warm during the colder seasons). I can tell you that the roof on the coupe is a bit cumbersome to remove and store in the back. It's not very heavy, but it is large. I'm 6'4 with long arms and I keep myself in decent shape. I don't enjoy removing and replacing the roof on my car. It attaches with four dowel pins that you have to line up. The front pins have gaskets on them that sometimes come loose and have to be adjusted or replaced, all while you are trying to keep the roof from falling into the cabin. My Corvette lives in the garage and is a weekend cruiser, so during the summer, I might just take the roof off and leave it off until either the season or necessity force me to replace it. A convertible gives you the convenience of just pushing a button.

Off topic I know. But I picked up the vert on my wife's birthday, handed her the key fob and said HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I think it earned me a couple of years of matinees!

As for the Z51 option, it's great for performance, but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with a non-Z51 Stingray. The ride is a little softer, and it goes just as fast when you stab the throttle. If it has mag ride, the suspension is just as tight as the Z51 when it is in track mode. If I was buying a Vette just for straight cruising, Z51 wouldn't be a priority for me. However, if you enjoy spirited backroad drives and full-throttle highway entries, as I do, Z51 gives you some nice features. I wanted a Z51 for the tighter suspension, bigger brakes, and electronic diff.

If I were in your shoes, I would look around for a 2LT convertible or try to order one from the factory. In my opinion, it would be worth it. If you want a convertible, skip the coupe.
I pretty much agree. I had coupes before and loved them but didn't take the roof off much because it was a PITA (yeah, i know some of you DGAS about PITA). Although i did on nice days at wife's urging. My wife campaigned for a vert when i was looking to buy a C7 so I gave in and got a vert, 1st vert I've ever had. But I hate to say I really, really, really love it. Please don't tell my wife though! I find that the vert has more trunk room than the coupe with the roof stored, which you always need to do. First time for Z-51 option too and wouldn't buy one without it now. LT2 version, didn't think LT3 was worth the extra $$$

Off topic I know. But I picked up the vert on my wife's birthday, handed her the key fob and said HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I think it earned me a couple of years of matinees!

Last edited by Italianfox; 03-03-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Compromise elsewhere, not on your dream car--get exactly what you want!
The following 5 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
bgspot (03-05-2018), JerryU (03-03-2018), Maxpowers (03-03-2018), Rebel Yell (03-03-2018), Skid Row Joe (03-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at my first Corvette

Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Hello:

Christopher
don't know where you are located but dealers order verts this time of year and they are usually gone by mid summer. Check the MacMulkin web site. They have a lot of inventory and start stocking lots of verts. They ship anywhere and are first class. Kenny, Mark or Tommy will help you out.

http://www.macmulkin.net/corvette-inventory

Last edited by Italianfox; 03-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

We're on our 11th Vette currently....... My first Vette, a '65 Roadster and the 2013 60th Anniv 427 (9th Vette) were the only 2 vert. All the others have been coupes.

I agree that the verts are more quiet and you hear less road noise, but I've just never been a vert guy.

I also agree that there is nothing like having the top down, especially if it's between 60 and 80 degrees. My wife and I both don't do the sun much anymore so when we had the 427, it was usually rides in the evening with the top down. It was really nice up to about 60 mph. Taking the top out of a coupe really doesn't get it for me. I don't bother ever taking it out.

I'd never park a vert with the top down and walk away from it, unless I was at a Corvette car show..... otherwise, never...... it doesn't bother me to park our coupe somewhere far out in a parking lot and leave it.

Don't settle just because the dealer you are at has a coupe. Get what you want. Too many choices out there, especially from the big forum dealers with good prices. As far as trim levels go, to me, the 2LT is a must have. Although we currently have a 3LT on this Grand Sport...... I'd do that again, but that's just me.

Last edited by Strake; 03-03-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Would be in interesting call if those were my two options.

I prefer a convertible without question or hesitation. With that, one of the primary reasons I shifted from the C6 to the new C7 (both convertibles) was the options package. My C6 was a 2LT which by comparison today is the 1LT options wise, the C7 is a 2LZ Z06 that includes NAV/PDR so it equipped the same as a 3LZ minus the leather dash bits. The creature comfort items were a major deciding factor to trade. Problem with my comparison is both were convertibles!

Personally, I'd still opt for the convertible. I very briefly looked at a coupe and appreciate them but that's not what I wanted from the car itself. One problem with the decision right now is spring is just around the corner (for most of the country) so convertibles will fetch a better retail price for the next 6+ months.

Drive both...

Allen

Quick Reply: Looking at my first Corvette