Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 reliability generally blows

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Again, the least reliable car today is going to be pretty reliable compared to problematic cars of 30-40 years ago. EFI, computers, etc. all have glitches but they break less than carbs and other more mechanical stuff on cars from 1984, everything is more reliable. That doesn't do much for you if you're Jay up there with a pain in the *** C7. One issue I have with CR is they should try to quantify the odds of getting a car that's a pain - they do once in a while, but they really should emphasize it so that people can put their data into perspective.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:07 AM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Today while driving, my speedometer in the instrument display stopped displaying MPH ... though the HUD functioned normally. When I arrived at my destination shutdown/restart (after 1 hour) all worked fine... I imagined and feared having to return to the dealer for a fix...thankfully, it wasn't necessary.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:29 AM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No, not likely. The NUMMI Chevys and Toyotas were built nose-to-tail on the same assembly line with identical power trains, electronics, etc. Only badges, grilles, lights, and trim were different. Same car, but one had a Nova badge, and the other said Corolla. There were less differences in those cars than between base, Z51, GS, and Z06 built on the same assembly line at BG.

The vastly different ratings were purely a function of owner expectations based upon brand reputations at the time. Toyotas were supposed to be perfect, and Chevy's were supposed to be crap. That's the problem w/ self-report ratings.
Do you have any reliability data comparing those two models from other sources? If not, this is just conjecture. I'm not familiar enough with those specific models but there could be numerous reasons (even simply with the grilles, lights, trim that you mention).
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 AM
65wave
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Consumer reports owner

The owners of consumer reports are japanese. They are very bias towards american made products. Read between the lines people.
The following 3 users liked this post by 65wave:
Atomic6 (03-06-2018), Corvette ED (03-06-2018), Telepierre (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
more lib crap

I wouldn't say liberal, more like soulless, passionless, non-car guy.
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
Consumer Reports?? Are you serious. The liberal publication that despises all things V8?? I doubt they have changed their anti-American V8 stance over the past 15 years but I banished it from my house after they constantly gave US cars horrible grades across the board in the 1990's and early 2000's. Didn't matter if it was a GM or Ford, black marks and 'cars to avoid'. All
Having owned V8 Firebirds and Mustangs from 1996 models on up I can honestly say they are the best cars I have ever owned and basically trouble free. I've had my Trans Am since new and the Mustang as well. No intention of selling.
Really? US car really were horrible for the 1990's to the 2000's... Heck since the 1970's really... And please, save me from the "liberal" rant... CR uses reports from OWNERS... They don't make it up like Hannity...
The following 5 users liked this post by rrsperry:
golden2husky (03-08-2018), Mid Life (03-30-2018), Mister Big (03-07-2018), raylo (05-01-2019), Woodson (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
Do you have any reliability data comparing those two models from other sources? If not, this is just conjecture. I'm not familiar enough with those specific models but there could be numerous reasons (even simply with the grilles, lights, trim that you mention).
LOL . . . we're talking about a story from 30 years ago.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 AM
patentcad
Drifting

OK, maybe the thread title is a little inflammatory.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65wave
The owners of consumer reports are japanese. They are very bias towards american made products. Read between the lines people.
What ARE you talking about? First of all Consumer Reports is a publication of Consumers Union, a non-profit organization founded in 1930 headquartered in Yonkers, NY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Union

Do you make this stuff up or does Jesus bring you visions during the Fox News commercial breaks?

Last edited by patentcad; 03-06-2018 at 09:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by patentcad:
65fastback (08-11-2018), Mid Life (03-30-2018), Mister Big (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Really? US car really were horrible for the 1990's to the 2000's... Heck since the 1970's really... And please, save me from the "liberal" rant... CR uses reports from OWNERS... They don't make it up like Hannity...
Still upset about the Hillary loss??
Corvette ED (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:18 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I wouldn't say liberal, more like soulless, passionless, non-car guy.
Exactly. Like the polar opposite of the idiots @ Car & Driver who test drive a Prius with their foot to the floor for a week and then say 'and the best we could get was 28 mpg'. The soul-less, impartial and not-blinded-by-car-passion viewpoint is an important one when considering a car purchase, the second priciest acquisition for most of us (after our homes).

Cars are generally appliances for most people, and they're an enormous waste of money. But I love them like you guys.

It's a problem.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Rod2013C6
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Exactly. Like the polar opposite of the idiots @ Car & Driver who test drive a Prius with their foot to the floor for a week and then say 'and the best we could get was 28 mpg'. The soul-less, impartial and not-blinded-by-car-passion viewpoint is an important one when considering a car purchase, the second priciest acquisition for most of us (after our homes).

Cars are generally appliances for most people, and they're an enormous waste of money. But I love them like you guys.

It's a problem.
You know i have owned 2 15 C7 and had no issues whatsoever ...so consumer reports..it is what it is and haters are going to be what they are so if you put a lot of credence into what they publish then you might have cause for concern but i would much rather have a sampling of those of us who have owned corvettes to form an opinion of their reliability...i have owned 3 C6's ( base 6m,zr1 and currently 08 z06) along with the 2 C7's and the only issue i have had is with the base 13 C6..they replaced guage cluster and thats it.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 2014 Z51 7M and although it's 4 1/2 years old I am just shy of 15k miles. I had the rear hatch release replaced, no other issues. CR is heavily biased towards Japanese cars, and although I buy the new car issue every year I can pretty much guess which models they will recommend.

I did agree with their comments about the noise (I, too bought sound deadening mats from a Forum vendor), and getting in/out could best be described as a new yoga move. But, it is a high performance sports car, and the Porsche I had was no different for ingress/egress.

As an aside, the CR New Car issue from 2016 shows the 2014 model as extremely reliable, and the car is listed as 'recommended' by CR. Go figure. My guess is the A8 may be the culprit for the new reviews.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by patentcad
OK, maybe the thread title is a little inflammatory.
Just a little?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:24 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
Consumer Reports?? Are you serious. The liberal publication that despises all things V8?? I doubt they have changed their anti-American V8 stance over the past 15 years but I banished it from my house after they constantly gave US cars horrible grades across the board in the 1990's and early 2000's. Didn't matter if it was a GM or Ford, black marks and 'cars to avoid'. All
Having owned V8 Firebirds and Mustangs from 1996 models on up I can honestly say they are the best cars I have ever owned and basically trouble free. I've had my Trans Am since new and the Mustang as well. No intention of selling.
(This is IMO)...What? I get your disdain for CR... but American car manufacturers in the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s were POSs. Due to EPAs garbage, US makers were playing with things like 4/6cyl Mustangs, Camaros (even today...4cyl-turbo). Even the mighty Corvette was slow and had no power (compared to today's supercar numbers). I'm not sure exactly when the turn was made from being garbage to fairly respectful automobiles. With the Corvette, I'd say around the Z06 time...the 405HP+ C5 era...onto the C6 (beautiful). I don't know how GM/Ford/Dodge get away with building these 700+HP beasts... I like it! I'm thinking that between all the regulatory stuff (EGs, O2s, etc), they just said: lets build the compliance AFTER we achieve HP/TQ numbers... then tune after.
What makes our cars (C6/C7) better today than years before? Better technology. Not the HUD or cool dash/HU, but as it relates to the manufacturer process, testing, implementation, more testing. We have people and robots that build these cars with very little tolerance for mistakes or errors. We have measuring devices inside the vehicles to keep us safe(r), immediate diagnostic information, preventative warnings. They've also included the human "seat-of-pants" experience and tweaking. The greatest change, IMO, is the C7 interior. It is now a proper sports car with all the technology, fit-finish, seating and overall ergonomics. Even the Bose stereo sounds better (the louder you set it).
Old 03-06-2018, 11:35 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

UGH... I'm scratching my head that someone would actually rely on a magazine to determine the reliability of a $65K+ sports car.

The comparisons of C7's to Toyota's is way too broad. One's obviously a model, ones an entire brand. (Full disclosure, I currently own & have previously owned, several Toyota Tundra's and Corvettes. Both models have been extremely reliable for me. Go figure).

The problem with the review & report is it requires long term testing under 'typical use conditions' as a major parameter and they are not in a position to do that. So they instead resort to 'Consumer Reviews' which opens the door to very skewed data points. Problems such as Confirmation Bias, Recency, Central Tendencies, and Sampling Bias are all going to lead to faulty conclusions. Hence my first sentence, who would actually rely on this to make an informed decision on what is actually an emotional purchase anyways? I can't believe anyone who buys a C7 Corvette is emotionless during the process. Read how some people respond when their beloved Corvette is scrutinized in the least bit...

Last edited by SLOWRYDE; 03-06-2018 at 11:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SLOWRYDE:
65fastback (08-11-2018), Foosh (03-06-2018), Steve_R (03-06-2018), Telepierre (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:45 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by 65wave
No they are not Japanese. I can find no evidence whatsoever that supports your claim. There is a Japanese Consumer's Union of Japan (CUJ) but it's not the same organization as the Consumer's Union of the USA that publishes Consumer Reports in the US.
Please do not interpret this as someone who supports CR as I don't. I think the magazine is a rag and have zero respect for their opinions based on how they determine their ratings and poor performance based on our personal use of CR. However, the truth is they are not Japanese.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 reliability generally blows

Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If CR was Japanese owned then the quality of analysis would likely be higher
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
patentcad (03-06-2018), Woodson (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

IMO every source has a bias, as evidenced by their target audiences... Motor Trend differs from Car and Driver which differs from Hot Rod which differs from Road and Track which differs from Consumer reports...
When preparing to spend $70+k for anything, it seems that a conscientious consumer would review multiple sources provide a more detailed picture of the intended purchase...
NSC5 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,363 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
UGH... I'm scratching my head that someone would actually rely on a magazine to determine the reliability of a $65K+ sports car.

The comparisons of C7's to Toyota's is way too broad. One's obviously a model, ones an entire brand. (Full disclosure, I currently own & have previously owned, several Toyota Tundra's and Corvettes. Both models have been extremely reliable for me. Go figure).

The problem with the review & report is it requires long term testing under 'typical use conditions' as a major parameter and they are not in a position to do that. So they instead resort to 'Consumer Reviews' which opens the door to very skewed data points. Problems such as Confirmation Bias, Recency, Central Tendencies, and Sampling Bias are all going to lead to faulty conclusions. Hence my first sentence, who would actually rely on this to make an informed decision on what is actually an emotional purchase anyways? I can't believe anyone who buys a C7 Corvette is emotionless during the process. Read how some people respond when their beloved Corvette is scrutinized in the least bit...
It's one source of info. Did you rely only on one source of info? What was the source?

Quick Reply: C7 reliability generally blows