Question for Grand Sport and Z06 Owners Regarding Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Mad Dog 98
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63VetteConv
Howdy neighbor!
Howdy!! I saw your new GS when I went to pick mine up. VERY nice!!
The following users liked this post:
63VetteConv (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 AM
63VetteConv
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 98
Howdy!! I saw your new GS when I went to pick mine up. VERY nice!!
I enjoyed staring at yours several times when visiting the cars as well! Beautiful spec—congratulations!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Thank you guys for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Lotta questions:
First, if you don't put SunTek on the entire car, aren't there some areas that are shinier than others?
Also, if a rock hits your hood or fender, does the SunTek get damaged, even a bit? I can correct a paint chip. I can't correct a rip in plastic.
I will admit however, that the results are amazing...and I'm wondering whether that's from the sealer, or the SunTek. I use Zaino, and that provides a great shine too, but not like your car. Which leads me to the next question of whether the SunTek dulls or clouds up with time. And if you have to wax it or put a sealer on in 2 years, do you do that to the SunTek covering?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Mad Dog 98
Racer

Originally Posted by IAIA
Lotta questions:
First, if you don't put SunTek on the entire car, aren't there some areas that are shinier than others?
Also, if a rock hits your hood or fender, does the SunTek get damaged, even a bit? I can correct a paint chip. I can't correct a rip in plastic.
I will admit however, that the results are amazing...and I'm wondering whether that's from the sealer, or the SunTek. I use Zaino, and that provides a great shine too, but not like your car. Which leads me to the next question of whether the SunTek dulls or clouds up with time. And if you have to wax it or put a sealer on in 2 years, do you do that to the SunTek covering?
The price they quoted me to Sun Tek the entire car was outrageous, $6K. When I think about it, the only parts of the car not wrapped are both doors (above the rockers), roof, hatch, and rear of the car. Those areas are just as shiny as the wrapped sections.

My Sun Tek is warrantied for 10 years against yellowing or peeling. If it lifts due to a rock tear or something, that will be something I will have to research.

My entire car was ceramic coated, including the Sun Tek wrap, which leads me to believe I will have it coated again in a couple of years. My car is in a garage and covered, so I may be able to get a year or two more before having to redo the coating. I hope this helps,
IAIA (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

I had my entire car covered with Suntek Ultra for about $4K. It is warranted for 10 years as mentioned. It has so called self healing properties. I've had some scratches and took a rag, dipped it in real hot water, wiped it on the scratches and gotten them to go away but a serious scratch...we'll see. I did put a gouge in the targa top and had it rewrapped the other day. Looking at some pictures like the ones in this thread make me glad I did it. I've seen other pics of a red car that looked very similar. I've checked my car closely with a good light and I see no chips. Peace of mind as already mentioned is good for me. If it needs a few repairs over time I'm OK with that. It is a personal preference for sure.
IAIA (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Mad Dog 98
Racer

Originally Posted by TXSteveF
I had my entire car covered with Suntek Ultra for about $4K. It is warranted for 10 years as mentioned. It has so called self healing properties. I've had some scratches and took a rag, dipped it in real hot water, wiped it on the scratches and gotten them to go away but a serious scratch...we'll see. I did put a gouge in the targa top and had it rewrapped the other day. Looking at some pictures like the ones in this thread make me glad I did it. I've seen other pics of a red car that looked very similar. I've checked my car closely with a good light and I see no chips. Peace of mind as already mentioned is good for me. If it needs a few repairs over time I'm OK with that. It is a personal preference for sure.
"Peace of mind"....exactly!!! The hard part is parting with your hard earned $$ for it.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 98
"Peace of mind"....exactly!!! The hard part is parting with your hard earned $$ for it.

I understand why some don't mind spending the money for that kind of protection. Everyone has their trade off point on value. I would not spend $4,000 or more, but I plan on spending some after more research.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No, the finish will still match the rest or the car. I usually only do the front end of the car, and unless you get down on top of the panels and look for the edges of the material, you won't even know its there visually.

Most small stone hits will result in zero damage on the film, or maybe a very small mark. The newer films are very resistant to even that. Only once have I had a hit hard enough to take a small "chunk" out of the plastic, but even then, the film sacrificed itself and the paint underneath was undamaged. It did not look conspicuous and I traded that vehicle shortly after, so I never had the film replaced. In that instance, I'm sure it would have still been cheaper to replace the film on the panel than to have it repaint had that rock taken a large divot out of the paint.

I will admit however, that the results are amazing...and I'm wondering whether that's from the sealer, or the SunTek. I use Zaino, and that provides a great shine too, but not like your car.
I've never had the ceramic coating. I am a longtime Zaino user as well. I maintain the PPF covered areas the same as I do the rest of the car with all the same Zaino products. It works just as well on the Suntek as it does the rest of the painted surfaces. Aside from the protection from rock chips, the other nicety of having the PPF is that it protects from bugs and bird crap w/o worrying about wiping it off instantly before it can mar the paint. Bug guts and bird crap have virtually no effect on the PPF and the bugs baked in the sun wipe off much easier.

Which leads me to the next question of whether the SunTek dulls or clouds up with time. And if you have to wax it or put a sealer on in 2 years, do you do that to the SunTek covering?
As to longevity, the longest I have had a vehicle with PPF is my Jeep that I've had for almost five years. It is a daily driven in all weather conditions, and sits outside a large percentage of the time. As of now, the Suntek looks as good as the day it was installed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DWS44; 03-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
IAIA (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:02 AM
TXSteveF
Racer

I agree the cost can be a deterant. To comment on bird poop. I don't have ceramic coating on the PPF and use spray wax. The ceramic guy that coated my wheels says the poop will stain the film but I cannot verify that so do your homework. I agree with everything DWS44 said just not sure about the poop. If I get damaged film I can replace multiple panels before I get to the cost of ceramic. I'm lucky in that I park in a garage at home and in my warehouse at work when I bring it in. My last three cars had a few minor poop stains so if you park outside by trees be careful.
DWS44 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Maybe I've just been lucky then, as I've never had any staining from from such occurrences. Certainly nothing to level I've had of paint etching from finding a bird spot that's been sitting on paint in the hot sun all day from sitting in the parking lot at work. Either way, I wouldn't argue with the advice of an experienced installer, and agree its probably not the best to leave it there indefinitely, PPF or not.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

So can I conclude that it's the ceramic coating and not the SunTek that gives it that amazing shine (and maybe the florescent lighting, too!)?
If so, I'm all over that if I can treat the car myself (buffed my C5 and C6 with Menzerma products followed by Zaino polymer sealant). Not worried about chips even though I've been known to exceed 100 (as we all do!) because I can usually touch up and color sand if necessary.
But that shine!!! That, I want!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Not sure about ceramic but the Suntek looks like a sheet of glass on mine.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

I finally understand how those car show vehicles look so freakin' shiny! I was never able to duplicate that no matter how many coats of Zaino I applied.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:18 AM
0AccentFL
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film Pro Series

Originally Posted by bigblock427
Thanks guys.

My drive about 1,000 miles per month. Approximately half my driving is in town and the other on the highway. I do avoid trucks and any other vehicle that may shed some type of debris.

I have been very fortunate with my first five Vettes and not getting very many chips. I usually get one on a mirror, one on either the hood or targa top, and maybe two or three on the front bumper. Usually only one large chip. But since I drive mine daily I am not surprised I get what I get. I thought the current generation of Grand Sports and Z06 might be a bit more susceptible to chips.

The road I drive are generally pretty good and since I live in Oklahoma City, I do not have too much problem with the sand that is sometime used on roadways during winter.
Bigblock427 - Just like a lot of the comments above and below are stating, rock chips are inevitable! We all try to be as careful as we can, but the paint damage from road debris will happen at some point.
3M just launched the newest Paint Protection Film in the market. Is comes with a 10 year warranty, self healing technology, and most importantly the only manufacturer to offer an extended service agreement on your paint! If the protected areas of your Corvette gets penetrated and happens to damage the paint, 3M will take the film off, repaint the affected areas, and replace the film!!!

We have a few local installers in the Oklahoma City market if you would like some recommendations for installs! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have in regards to Paint Protection Film!

Thanks,
Dan
bigblock427 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 06:43 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by AccentFL

We have a few local installers in the Oklahoma City market if you would like some recommendations for installs! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have in regards to Paint Protection Film!

Thanks,
Dan
Different installers in various area's will charge,well what they can get really.On 3M's end of it.How much more $$ would a nose job only cost now with the new film.
Just for rough numbers,say i was quoted a grand.How much now?
Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Bigblock427 - Just like a lot of the comments above and below are stating, rock chips are inevitable! We all try to be as careful as we can, but the paint damage from road debris will happen at some point.
3M just launched the newest Paint Protection Film in the market. Is comes with a 10 year warranty, self healing technology, and most importantly the only manufacturer to offer an extended service agreement on your paint! If the protected areas of your Corvette gets penetrated and happens to damage the paint, 3M will take the film off, repaint the affected areas, and replace the film!!!

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, thank you for your reply. Can you provide me with the names of the installers in my area? Also, can you provide a website that has the technical information for the film you are talking about? Or can you give me specific product details?

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Question for Grand Sport and Z06 Owners Regarding Paint Protection

Old 03-11-2018, 07:12 AM
0AccentFL
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Different installers in various area's will charge,well what they can get really.On 3M's end of it.How much more $$ would a nose job only cost now with the new film.
Just for rough numbers,say i was quoted a grand.How much now?
Hi Dale,
I can’t quote how much different the price may be, since it is up to the business owner. It will not be as much of a sticker shock as you may think!
The link to find a local shop near you is in the link below. They will be able to give a better quote!
Thanks
Dan
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3
DALE#3 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 AM
0AccentFL
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bigblock427
Dan, thank you for your reply. Can you provide me with the names of the installers in my area? Also, can you provide a website that has the technical information for the film you are talking about? Or can you give me specific product details?

Thanks,
We are currently working on updating our “where to buy” website for 3M. I reached out to the local representative for some names and numbers, and I will get you direct contact with the shops that are 3M Certified.
The link to the 3M page is below. Please make sure you are looking at information regarding “Pro Series”!

I will get you installer information once I hear back from the local rep!
Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-11-2018, 07:25 AM
0AccentFL
Former Vendor

We are currently working on updating our “where to buy” website for 3M. I reached out to the local representative for some names and numbers, and I will get you direct contact with the shops that are 3M Certified.
The link to the 3M page is below. Please make sure you are looking at information regarding “Pro Series”!

I will get you installer information once I hear back from the local rep!
Thanks,
Dan

Quick Reply: Question for Grand Sport and Z06 Owners Regarding Paint Protection