Sponsored by:

Paint flaw advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
The cars sit in the BG back parking lot for a couple of weeks before being shipped. They are uncovered
Yep but some folks say "never been rained on"
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (02-19-2019)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Stuff happens. No need to make a big deal about it.

Either accept it and have the dealer fix it, or reject it and order another, and hope that the next one is perfect.

Why all the hand-wringing and fretting about the fact that your mass-produced car had a flaw (and a flaw subtle enough that you admit a pic can't show it)? You don't HAVE to accept it, but neither are you going to get a huge discount, nor is GM going to give you a hand-rubbed custom-matched and painted hood wrapped in a giant diaper and delivered by angels.
This is the most common sense response in the entire thread to the problem the OP describes.

The thing is: there is absolutely no guarantee that the next car received in won't have something different and more substantial that needs correction (if correction is even possible). OP, you know what you have here, and you know that this one can be easily corrected.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:16 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Yep but some folks say "never been rained on"
Each and every one gets "rained" on during the weather simulation leak test after assembly...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I think you would be better off fixing the chip than getting a new hood that may have been painted at a different time at a different angle than the original hood especially if you have metallic flakes in your paint. Right now you have a very small problem-leave it at that.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Besides black, Arctic White is the easiest re-paint to do and not eff it up. If it was a metallic color, I would refuse the whole car. Try to get GM to give you a rebate of some kind. They have a customer service department that does stuff like that. Just don't get too angry. Let them know you haven't given up on Chevy and they will try a little harder. Do a freak out, and they won't care.

Also, you are doubly lucky its just the hood - you may find a nearly new one with perfect factory paint to replace your entire hood (keep the new liner, of course), since white doesn't fade. You have options.

Last edited by LarryFL; 02-18-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Took my new NRB '15 to dealer's body shop after seeing 3 'pinholes' in the paint of the rear hatch.
Manager advised he has seen similar, and much worse, issues on Corvettes, and attributed it to something that occurred during the factory painting process. He stated he would have to repaint the entire hatch, and would do so if requested, as issue is definitely a factory defect. He further advised leaving things as they are, as the repaint would most likely result in more issues than currently exist. While I wasn't happy with the situation, I followed his recommendation and did my best to ignore the defect. Within a week, a flying stone hit the center of the hood about a foot in front of the windshield. Made the hatch issue nonconsequential. Touchup paint helped, and unfortunately stone chips are a part of life, especially when the lion's share of driving is extended distances at 75-85 mph. Now, four years later (to be precise, car's delivery date will be four years old on the 20th), que sera sera. Love the car and will keep it 'forever'.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Withold all monies, until such time as the car can be reinspected by you after refurbishment. Do not, under any circumstances pay or finalize in any way your final payments with their finance mgr.

You are not, (in my mind,) entitled to any compensation for this delay..
I agree. Keep your payment until you see what the dealer can do to make the paint look like it should. If not satisfied, walk away and order or find a different one.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

To those saying a dealership repaint is the same as a factory paint job in terms of quality and/or durability, that simply is not true (It can be drastically untrue depending on how bad the dealership is...). I'd never buy a car new that had to be repainted before I even took possession. Ask them to replace the hood with a different factory painted hood or walk away.

GM paint jobs are pretty lousy, they should really focus their efforts on improving the quality of their paint jobs - yeah, I know they invested in a new paint shop for the vettes, but they're still putting out inferior paint jobs on one of their top end models.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
Hmm, I'm saying it could be better if done right! The factory robots paint hoods on carts that hold multiple parts. They are no programed to do one part! I don't think a Bowling Green Robot can match a quality painter! Granted you need to find a good one but there are many. A shop in Town charges $15,000 to $20,000+ for a car show paint job! GM could not come close! Don't need that level.

A good painter can also match the rest of the car and set pressures etc to match a 4 year old fade! Granted you need to find one who does a good job, usually word of mount and satisfied customers are best. I checked with my buddy with an 8 bay service shop and brought the wife's car to the body shop he uses. It had a shopping cart ding that needed repair and that quality shop painted a lot more than just that area and the even blended into the rear door when the ding was on the rear fender. Several years later you could not tell it was every painted nor could the BMW dealer when we traded it in. And it was metallic, harder to match. Just Sayn'

Last edited by JerryU; 02-19-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Did you guys notice you were responding to a 1 year old question.
Bill
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
No...this is like a monday morning for me... ugh...
Old 02-19-2019, 01:49 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Hmm, I'm saying it could be better if done right! The factory robots paint hoods on carts that hold multiple parts. They are no programed to do one part! I don't think a Bowling Green Robot can match a quality painter! Granted you need to find a good one but there are many. A shop in Town charges $15,000 to $20,000+ for a car show paint job! GM could not come close! Don't need that level.

A good painter can also match the rest of the car and set pressures etc to match a 4 year old fade! Granted you need to find one who does a good job, usually word of mount and satisfied customers are best. I checked with my buddy with an 8 bay service shop and brought the wife's car to the body shop he uses. It had a shopping cart ding that needed repair and that quality shop painted a lot more than just that area and the even blended into the rear door when the ding was on the rear fender. Several years later you could not tell it was every painted nor could the BMW dealer when we traded it in. And it was metallic, harder to match. Just Sayn'
I'm not saying you can't find a great paint guy that could give you a show car quality paint job that would be as good or better than a factory job, especially if price/time was no issue, I'm saying that in the vast majority of cases, the guy the dealership is using will not match a factory paint job, in quality or in durability.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:05 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KenCon
After patiently waiting since November for my first new 2019 to arrive, yesterday was a huge disappointment. Went by to examine the car prior to bringing in the check. On the hood is a half dollar size paint flaw! This is after the car sat in Quality Control for a week. Those at the dealership said no one saw this??? I saw it within a minute of looking at the car. The flaw is a slightly darker color than the rest of the hood. After meeting with the dealership paint guy, he said he had not seen this before. He mentioned the many problems under the old paint shop but had not seen this from the new shop. He was going to spend some time examining it again this morning before making a determination for an appropriate fix. Later today I will hear their resolution. Do you think it is fair that I should receive a discount, even if they have to repaint the entire hood? I am even considering withdrawing my deposit at this point due to the poor quality of service from all. I would appreciate some advise from the Vette Brain Trust.
No way would I accept a repainted car. they can keep it. Believe it or not my wife insists on going over my cars with a fine clothing before we have over the check and believe me she finds them.any flaw she finds Bye bye deal.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
None. I usually look but was responding to, 'Can't match a Bowling Green paint job!"

Quick Reply: Paint flaw advise