Sponsored by:

MGW Install Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Default MGW Install Frustrations

Not sure if this actually a thing, but might help someone in the future.

I've done the MGW install on my C6 with no issues. Everything went into place no problem. I've moved the same unit into the C7 and literally wasted an hour trying to get it to go into reverse during install. Every time I'd push it over far right and attempt to pull back, it would lock me out. I tried disassembling/realigning/torqueing everything multiple times. It would randomly let me into go into reverse, to which I would torque the mounting bolts down, only to find I was locked out again.

Then I thought, maybe the car had to be turned on and off to realign reverse or something. For some reason, it worked. So with the car off, I torqued the 3 torx screws and tried again. It was locked once again. Loosened the 3 torx screws, realigned, and turned the car on (no ignition this time). Tried reverse again and it worked. Turned off power, torqued screws, tried reverse, locked out.
So long story short, apparently reverse locks out every time I put a wrench to any of the 3 torx screws to torque them. If everything is torqued down, and the car is cycled on and off, reverse is unlocked and functioning.

So my question is: is putting a wrench on either of the 3 torx screws shorting out the lockout solenoid preventing reverse gear? And the only way it unlocks, is cycling the ignition.
From my super frustrating dealings, I believe so.

/rant
Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I had no issue, did you watch the videos, and use the alignment tool?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:11 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Sorry I cant help, I had no issues at all (except dropping the allen wrench). I honestly am not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you should post a video.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:14 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I would think that the reverse lockout solenoid would only be able to activate if the car was on since it is designed to activate when the car is moving forward. Sounds like you just do not have the shifter aligned right.
If it works when you start the car, just drive it and see what happens. The mounting screws definitely have nothing to do with the solenoid.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-11-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

That’s one of the reasons that I quit working on cars.Frustration after frustation.I believe in trickle down economics.I just go and hire everything done.The wallet might be A lighter but
No frustration.
I know that’s not what you wanted to hear.I would say go spend some money,lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I had no issue, did you watch the videos, and use the alignment tool?
Did it once before no issues, re-watched the videos multiple times. No alignment tool, but I had no problems before eyeballing it.

Originally Posted by L82Brake
Sorry I cant help, I had no issues at all (except dropping the allen wrench). I honestly am not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you should post a video.
I'll take a video next crack at it. Waiting on my order for a C7 shaft and some sound deadening.

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I would think that the reverse lockout solenoid would only be able to activate if the car was on since it is designed to activate when the car is moving forward. Sounds like you just do not have the shifter aligned right.
If it works when you start the car, just drive it and see what happens. The mounting screws definitely have nothing to do with the solenoid.
I think the same on the solenoid, but it is just a strange coincident that Ignition on/engine off lets reverse happen.
I would try driving it, but waiting on my replacement shaft. Plus my steering wheel airbag is apart atm too attempting to remove the center steering mounting screw LOL. That thing is on there tight...

Originally Posted by thrilled
That’s one of the reasons that I quit working on cars.Frustration after frustation.I believe in trickle down economics.I just go and hire everything done.The wallet might be A lighter but
No frustration.
I know that’s not what you wanted to hear.I would say go spend some money,lol.
Working on my car is my getaway. Doesn't feel as much currently
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You may need to apply heat to the steering wheel bolt. I have heard some horror stories of stripping the torx head or breaking the bolt
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

It has been mentioned a few times that you can’t shift into reverse when the car is off with the MGW shifter. I can confirm this on my car. Once you hit the ignition their should be no issue getting into Reverse. With everything bolted, are you not able to shift into Reverse with the ignition on?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pineapple
It has been mentioned a few times that you can’t shift into reverse when the car is off with the MGW shifter. I can confirm this on my car. Once you hit the ignition their should be no issue getting into Reverse. With everything bolted, are you not able to shift into Reverse with the ignition on?
I am able to go into reverse with everything bolted and ignition on, the exact scenario you mention.

Just asking why is it that you cannot go into reverse with the ignition off? I have not found any threads mentioning this.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

Maybe the unit for the C6 and the C7 aren't identical??? Seems like the simplest possible explanation to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Morris9
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you make sure the car is in neutral before aligning ? I made the mistake of leaving the car in 4th gear as the video stated to make it easier to remove part around the gear shift. It would not go into 2nd then I realized what I did and realigned it in neutral and has been working great ever since .
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM
BigTree
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
I am able to go into reverse with everything bolted and ignition on, the exact scenario you mention.

Just asking why is it that you cannot go into reverse with the ignition off? I have not found any threads mentioning this.
Just checked my car ('14 C7 with MGW), it will shift into reverse with the engine turned off.

My install was straight forward, none of the reverse issues you are experiencing. I did have the alignment tool which simplified the process, however eyeballing it should work. A key point is that the transmission should be in neutral during the install.

Reverse should be a non-issue, actually an easier gear to engage with MGW.

Keep us informed on what you find to resolve this.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:29 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

So here is a quick video I made.

To note, reverse will randomly lockout while I was in there fiddling about. Every time I turned ignition on, it would unlock and stay unlocked for unknown amount of time after ignition off.

Strange...

Old 03-21-2018, 06:55 PM
BigTree
Instructor

Agreed, that is strange. Please keep us posted on what you find out. Looks like you have reassembled the interior and are going to drive it as is.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:32 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You may need to apply heat to the steering wheel bolt. I have heard some horror stories of stripping the torx head or breaking the bolt
That did it.

Followed exactly what X25 did here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592597092

Used a torch and heat wrap, touched off the bolt for ~5 seconds. Had the wheel turned full left, but the breaker on it, and turned that sucker off.

Now just waiting for the replacement bolt from CULTRAG.

Originally Posted by BigTree
Agreed, that is strange. Please keep us posted on what you find out. Looks like you have reassembled the interior and are going to drive it as is.
Leaving it as is for now. Will report back any driving issues if it comes up. Can't make much moves at the moment with all the snow.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 PM
BigTree
Instructor

After watching your video again I went back and compared to a picture of the MGW shifter I recently purchased from MGW. There is a difference, my understanding is MGW modified the shifter for C7.

I question if this would cause the intermittent problem you are having, however have you contacted MGW to verify if there are issues with moving the shifter from C6 to C7?
Old 03-31-2018, 01:29 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigTree
After watching your video again I went back and compared to a picture of the MGW shifter I recently purchased from MGW. There is a difference, my understanding is MGW modified the shifter for C7.

I question if this would cause the intermittent problem you are having, however have you contacted MGW to verify if there are issues with moving the shifter from C6 to C7?

Little update. My MGW is marked as C5 / C6. Does not say C7, but my understanding is they're all the same.
I haven't reached out to MGW. May notify them of this. I don't feel like testing this again with the stock shifter.
I have driven around with the MGW as-is and have found no issues with everyday driving. It WILL block off reverse when the car is OFF, but there is no real reason I have found to do that. If parking on a hill, I'd just turn the ignition ON and put it in R. No biggie.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Install Frustrations

Quick Reply: MGW Install Frustrations