Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Mt, not staying at Condos

Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Mr. Blue
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spring Mt, not staying at Condos

I’ll be going to Spring Mt. with my wife on April 30 and May 1 for the Corvette Owens School. We didn’t get to stay at the condos, but got 2 free nights at the Pahrump Holiday Inn.

I have a few questions for anybody else who did this. Since the class starts at 8 AM, what time to I have to be at the track? Is there any kind of check in procedure I’ll have to do before the class, and is it better to eat breakfast at Spring Mt. or at the hotel?

Since my wife will be along, is there any place she can go at Spring Mt. to pass the time and get out of the heat. She will probably attend classes with me, but will not go out in a car. I believe that she can have meals with me too. Is dinner included?

Also, I’ll be 71 two days before the driving school starts. I enjoy driving my Vette, but reflexes diminish with age, so I probably won’t be burning up the track. I hope this won’t be a problem for anybody.

Thanks for any help or advice that you can pass along.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The first time I went to Spring Mt. in 2006, the condos did not exist, and everyone stayed where you did. It's a very short drive, and no problem.

Don't worry about your skill level. The instructors will sort folks into groups according to skill level, so every one will learn a lot and have a great experience.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-12-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

We stayed at the track for our trip last December, but a few others did stay off. You can arrive at 7am for the breakfast and be in your class meeting by 8:00
Besides you'll have a blast and your wife will be able to sit thru the class and ride with an instructor if she wishes. I would really have her go with as she'll will learn a lot and be able to meet other owners wife's and as a Corvette family member she will have a blast as mine did
Breakfast and Lunch will be served at the main building and yes she'll get to eat with you and your new corvette friends
As for your age just remember it's only a number and go have fun (drive it like you stolen it) They won't push you any harder then on driving then your comfortable driving, some groups drive slow and others push it to the limit.
They will watch your driving ability and place you in the group that you will feel the most comfortable.
Oh and the average age for the school is between 50-75 as I don't think more than 3 were below 50 in our class.
Rick Malone and his crew will treat you like a king and teach you more about your car then you'll ever learn anyplace else
The following 3 users liked this post by ChuckerC7:
blkvet6 (03-13-2018), Mr. Blue (03-12-2018), vdavenp802 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 691 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

They will divide up the class into sets of level skill initially. Your wife will able to sit in class with you if she wishes. We were unable to stay at the condos also. We had our breakfasts at the Holiday Inn where we stayed. They serve you a very nice lunch there at Spring Mtn as part of the class. Instead of eating back in Pahrump we actually had our dinners at Spring Mtn. The evening view was excellent.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mako72:
Mr. Blue (03-12-2018), socalspringmountain (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Ill be going on may 2-3. At 34 I hope Im not the youngest baby there.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

IMO it is worth driving to SM for the breakfast each morning. It is much better than most of the hotel offerings. Enjoy, you will have a blast!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
IMO it is worth driving to SM for the breakfast each morning. It is much better than most of the hotel offerings. Enjoy, you will have a blast!
Do they have a bar or alcohol there at night?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:48 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Yes and yes but take it easy. You need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed each morning.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 03-12-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Yes and yes but take it easy. You need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed each morning.
You mean its not fun doing the course hung over with blood shot eyes?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:07 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

You’ll need to go through some registration paperwork at the reception center so plan for that. We were staying on-site and just did it the evening before when arriving.

While it only takes a few minutes you may find yourself in a line and then pressed for time.
The following users liked this post:
Glennm27 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:36 PM
kanvas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went Feb 21-22. They run a tight ship. Breakfast at 6:45 each day. Registration 7:30 first day. Class starts at 8:00 each morning with lunch at noon. Back to class at 1:00 until 4:00.

There is dinner onsite but we did not stay. Overall a great experience!
Mr. Blue (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:49 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Oh no it will be fun, just not for you😂🤣
Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by vxplt
Oh no it will be fun, just not for you😂🤣
But you could be someone's next viral Corvette YouTube video!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 416 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
I’ll be going to Spring Mt. with my wife on April 30 and May 1 for the Corvette Owens School. We didn’t get to stay at the condos, but got 2 free nights at the Pahrump Holiday Inn.

I have a few questions for anybody else who did this. Since the class starts at 8 AM, what time to I have to be at the track? Is there any kind of check in procedure I’ll have to do before the class, and is it better to eat breakfast at Spring Mt. or at the hotel?

Since my wife will be along, is there any place she can go at Spring Mt. to pass the time and get out of the heat. She will probably attend classes with me, but will not go out in a car. I believe that she can have meals with me too. Is dinner included?

Also, I’ll be 71 two days before the driving school starts. I enjoy driving my Vette, but reflexes diminish with age, so I probably won’t be burning up the track. I hope this won’t be a problem for anybody.

Hi!
As many have already commented, age is just a number! The instructors do a great job of getting the groups as close as possible to their skill level/pace. Also, don't hesitate to ask the lead instructor if you think you are in the wrong group(s) or if you need anything special at all! We accommodate as best we can.
for breakfast, we open it up at 6:45 am and is available until 8am or so. If you stay off site, you are still welcome to come to it, as well as your guest. Same goes for lunch!
We offer a limited menu at the clubhouse, that is not included with the school. That runs from 5-7 pm, with the bar being open until 8pm.
For your wife, she can stay in the classroom for the briefings, and if she chooses to, take some laps with the instructor during lead/follow sessions. If she'd rather sit by the pool or hang out in the clubhouse, not a problem at all.
Hope this helps a little!
if you have more questions, don't hesitate to PM me, or call us at the track.

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

The following 3 users liked this post by socalspringmountain:
blkvet6 (03-13-2018), DAC17 (03-12-2018), Mr. Blue (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,424 Likes on 773 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If your wife does not want to do the ride alongs with the instructors, she can hang out in the lounge where you have lunch or at the pool or in the small workout room. If she's any kind of car person, she will want to do the ride alongs. We had a small class and most of the spouses weren't interested so my wife did every ride along while we were on the track.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Do they have a bar or alcohol there at night?
With the heat and the focus of what you’re trying to learn and accomplish, cocktails aren’t the suggested refreshment. You’ll want to be on top of your game.

To the O.P. Do as much as you and the Mrs. can at the facility they definitely make it worth your time and it’s more quality time with your classmates. Mine were great people from all over the US and Canada. I promise you will savor every second while collecting some great memories.
Mr. Blue (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

My first trip to SM was just before the discounted program was being offered. The program and facilities have certainly evolved. There were all ages of participants in the class don’t worry

We, my son and I were in a class with a local late 70 ish dude and his wife tagged along. They were an interesting couple, suggested we go to the cat house for meals, said they do all the time, guess they were young at heart. I’ve been there 3 times and we always enjoyed the experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mt, not staying at Condos

Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 PM
iTom
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue

t
I'll be interested in your feedback Mr. Blue. I just had my big 70 last week and my kids gave me the Spring Mt. experience for my birthday. I'm still getting used to my 2019 Grand Sport with M7 which I just got a month ago. I had the same concerns you expressed and have been holding off booking a date until I was a little more confident that I could pull this off. I read some of the responses and I feel a whole bunch better about heading out to Las Vegas.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Is it more reasonable and better value to stay in the Condo or off site hotel?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
Is it more reasonable and better value to stay in the Condo or off site hotel?
I just signed up and this is how it was explained to me. You get one night free in the condo and the next night is $100ish + tax. If they don't have room in the condos they will get you a room in the offsite hotel. I don't know if they pay for one night or two in the hotel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Mt, not staying at Condos