Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette driver dies.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

There are no particulars about what caused the accident so we don't know if cold weather played a role in the accident or not. He may have fallen asleep at the wheel, may have tried to dodge something that ran onto the highway or given the guy's age there is a chance he had a heart attack or some other seizure while driving.

Wearing a seat belt may have protected him or it may not have. Hitting a tree usually deforms a vehicle sufficiently the occupant in the impact area gets a face full of tree whether or not they are wearing a belt.

Bill
Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I have been a conscientious wearer of belts since I got my learner's permit in the late 1970s. This behavior was reinforced a few years ago when a good friend was killed when he was ejected from his service truck and broke his neck after he went off the road. The accident was very survivable and the truck was still able to be driven after the accident.

He normally wore his belt but was angry because he had been ticketed the prior week for driving between two stores in a large strip mall without putting his belt on so he was protesting that incident. The world lost a good person and his father lost the next link in a family business that went back 4 generations.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by snow
not a vette issue "stupid is as stupid does" RIP...
Man what if this was one of your family members here. A time & place for any saying in the world, but this I don't think is one of them at all. Robert
Old 03-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Wearing a seat belt may have protected him or it may not have. Hitting a tree usually deforms a vehicle sufficiently the occupant in the impact area gets a face full of tree whether or not they are wearing a belt.
The way that most often happens is when a passenger without a seat belt goes thru the windshield.

While we have talked a lot about the seat belts it should be pointed out that with today's cars the most important thing that a seat belt does is keep the driver in front of the air bag. Another innovation that was fought tooth and nail by the industry.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 03-13-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Very sad
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Sad as this is, as I already said, what I find interesting is the number of us, here, whose dads installed seatbelts WAY before they were available at all, let alone as as a standard feature.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I have been in dozens of motorcycle accidents, that's what qualifies me to speak on this issue.
In addition to the fact that a seat belt keeps you in front of the steering wheel; if people only knew how hard you hit, even at say 20mph, no one, and I really mean no one, wouldn't wear a seat belt.
You are right on that one.

Quick Reply: Corvette driver dies.