Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast is too fast for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:37 PM
k_arnold
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

As a Corvette enthusiast AND a very active cyclist, I would say an ASSHAT like you should be arrested, your precious car confiscated and crushed while you watch.

I have no doubt you are one of those idiots that think because you can afford horsepower you know how to control it.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
In Virginia (Where I live) they have a "no tolerance" policy for speeding / reckless driving. For every 1 MPH you do over 90, you get one day in the big house, and it is non-negotiable. A buddy of mine had a '69 Camaro with a built big block. He got into it late at night (when nobody is around). He didn't see the cop shooting radar and was clocked at 115. He was very fortunate, since he was in the military, the cop only cited him for 95 in a 45 and the judge allowed him to exchange jail time for something like 2500 hours community service and six months with a suspended license. Even then, he had to spend almost five grand in legal fees to negotiate the "reduced" sentence.

It gets frustrating puttering around within the bounds of the speed limit, but it's fun to stretch once in a while merging onto the highway or blasting down a straightaway on a country road. Every time I get into the throttle though, it's always on my mind that there could be a cop sitting around the next corner just waiting to fill his monthly quota (and the county coffers).
I too live in VA and 80 or above no matter what the limit is, although the highest in the state is 70, is reckless driving and that can almost be as bad as a DUI with your insurance not mention the points and losing your license. I stretch my 15 once in a while but never around area where a kid or houses are, mostly blasting up a long entrance ramp other than that 5-8 over only and around homes spot on the limit, oh and cops dont have quotas
Old 03-18-2018, 09:52 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

The race track is a great place to speed..

its a shame out here in Sacramento many cops use that area for hunting and making money. Sometimes its a lose lose situation
Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by lostsoul
The race track is a great place to speed..

its a shame out here in Sacramento many cops use that area for hunting and making money. Sometimes its a lose lose situation
To whom were you referring?

The post above you was about Virginia, and a really good point about no matter how high the speed limit is; above 80 is automatically a reckless driving charge.

bolding mine.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:18 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Only looked at the title of this thread. Then, skimmed over a couple pages.

Florida for example: at certain times there is a very flat road with no cars.... enjoy stepping on the gas!! Now if a cop is hiding in the bush and you get caught for speeding.. so be it.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Thank you for that story Billy. You had a higher power as a co-pilot for sure. Believe me, I have investigated wrecks that the driver didn't have that co-pilot. It's not a sight you can ever erase from your mind.
I’ll be the first person to agree with you on that.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by k_arnold
As a Corvette enthusiast AND a very active cyclist, I would say an ASSHAT like you should be arrested, your precious car confiscated and crushed while you watch.

I have no doubt you are one of those idiots that think because you can afford horsepower you know how to control it.

Dude, chill out. I see cyclists do some pretty asinine things that can be just as dangerous as someone who drives their car too fast.

Last edited by Billy346; 03-18-2018 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

The post above you was about Virginia, and a really good point about no matter how high the speed limit is; above 80 is automatically a reckless driving charge.

bolding mine.
just in general. I liked going to the track and its a get place to open a car up but many times LEO goes out there to make money and nit pick every damn thing.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thocar
Make a trip to Germany and enjoy our German Autobahn without Speed Limit.

Thomas
I have only seen you tube videos of the autobahn. I am so jealous. One day I’m going to buy a BMW and pick it up from the factory in Munich, then go on a massive road trip around Germany (also stopping to enjoy your excellent beer, wine, food, castles, and landscape) I’ll gain 20 pounds in Germany, guaranteed.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

bolding mine.
80 is Reckless Driving?
I wouldn't bother with a Corvette if I lived there...

Is it my imagination or are the most oppressive traffic laws in the South?

Last edited by sunsalem; 03-19-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

The thing is ... if you lose it and wreck at speed (say 90+ mph), you will wreck for something like a quarter of a mile or more, taking out everyone and everything in between --- and once the damage is done, it's done.

Bottom line: Even though it may be really tempting on an empty road, a "track only" approach is the only truly smart way to go when you want to put the hammer down.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 03-19-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
90 in a 45 is ******* retarded. There is seriously something wrong with your mind if you think that is ok under any circumstances. Nothing about that sort of driving is calculated; its just plain reckless.
Well I am going to have to go with depends. Alot of times some deserted streets in the middle of nowhere are 45(like a beach access road or a national park road through the desert where you hardly see any other cars. Don't think 90 is excessive there.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Well I am going to have to go with depends. Alot of times some deserted streets in the middle of nowhere are 45(like a beach access road or a national park road through the desert where you hardly see any other cars. Don't think 90 is excessive there.
Wrong.
Start taking your speeding seriously and you will quickly figure out that I am right.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
I have never street raced anyone.
Nor should you. If you want to race, take it to the track.

Any C7 is too fast for the street.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I must admit reading this thread has humbled me and I know I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if an innocent person lost their life because of my need for speed. I looked and found palm beach international raceway nearby has lots of events I can enter for a relatively low fee so I think I will contact them tomorrow and see what options I have for track days, etc. I am also going to Ron Fellow's Spring Mountain near Vegas on May 2-3 where they will give me a z06 with the same specs as my own car so I can learn more during my 2 days there.
That's very encouraging to hear. We all do/say things we regret. Don't take any of the negative comments too personal..... you just redeemed yourself!
The following 2 users liked this post by PobreWey:
AORoads (03-20-2018), Carvin (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I must admit reading this thread has humbled me and I know I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if an innocent person lost their life because of my need for speed. I looked and found palm beach international raceway nearby has lots of events I can enter for a relatively low fee so I think I will contact them tomorrow and see what options I have for track days, etc. I am also going to Ron Fellow's Spring Mountain near Vegas on May 2-3 where they will give me a z06 with the same specs as my own car so I can learn more during my 2 days there.
Good on you for your change of heart.

I did Spring Mountain last Fall and had the time of my (driving) life. You will absolutely love it. You'll be able to scratch that itch that makes you want to double that speed limit and you'll also learn how to expertly handle all that power you have at your disposal.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:43 AM
gtl4hire
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since 90 in a 45

I would assume since 90 in a 45 speed zone is too fast, then 200 plus in a 65 speed zone is out of the question.

Get notified of new replies

To How fast is too fast for the street?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gtl4hire
I would assume since 90 in a 45 speed zone is too fast, then 200 plus in a 65 speed zone is out of the question.
why do you post so stupid???????:smash :
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by PobreWey
That's very encouraging to hear. We all do/say things we regret. Don't take any of the negative comments too personal..... you just redeemed yourself!
I strongly second your opinion, better written than I ever could. Well done, sir! And appreciation to, and for "desibaba" for taking the time to understand what some are saying on here.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:24 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346

I have only seen you tube videos of the autobahn. I am so jealous. One day I’m going to buy a BMW and pick it up from the factory in Munich, then go on a massive road trip around Germany (also stopping to enjoy your excellent beer, wine, food, castles, and landscape) I’ll gain 20 pounds in Germany, guaranteed.
Autobahn is nice, but not so completely wide-open on speed as you might suspect. There seem to be lots of areas where they slow you down, automated signs. Average speeds even where they don't limit it seem to be no more than 90 mph, just a little faster than the freeways near Detroit run.

That said, there are many places where people can run much faster, and you'd better not linger in the left lane.

BTW, you don't even have to leave Munich to gain weight. Check the Hofbrauhaus there, which I think of as the world center of beer culture. They were gently making fun of my wife for ordering her beer only 1/2 liter at a time.

Quick Reply: How fast is too fast for the street?