Sponsored by:

How fast is too fast for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Hate to say it but most people on this forum and the real corvette owners I have encountered on the street are around 70, drive like old grandmas and the only reason they own the Corvette is so they can wash and wax it weekly and drive it once a month at 10 miles under the speed limit to the grocery store and back. At 34 im sure Im one of the youngest corvette owners here. Yes, I know someone here will say back in 1953 they got their first vette at 21 years old but tell me how many guys NOW in 2018 get one around 30? Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a Nissan GTR or a Porsche 911 just so I could be in a community of well rounded people of all ages and backgrounds instead of just angry, old, senile men.
You and your dumb questions certainly would not be missed.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
BS.
90 on the highway is not anywhere even close to the same risk as 90 in a 45 mph zone.
No one would have cared about someone going 90 on the interstate, but 90 in a 45 is like going out of the way to include unnecessary risks.
No one seemed to bother to even ask where he was and just decided to chastise him based on the speed limit. As I said, we are talking 10 MPH difference here and people are all up in arms when in fact like you just said, oh, 90 on the highway is different...well I hate to tell you, maybe he was on a 45 MPH highway/road in the middle of nowhere. Either way...it's a bunch of people with little to no info all holier then thou....kind of hilarious....

Last edited by Garret; 03-17-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Hate to say it but most people on this forum and the real corvette owners I have encountered on the street are around 70, drive like old grandmas and the only reason they own the Corvette is so they can wash and wax it weekly and drive it once a month at 10 miles under the speed limit to the grocery store and back. At 34 im sure Im one of the youngest corvette owners here. Yes, I know someone here will say back in 1953 they got their first vette at 21 years old but tell me how many guys NOW in 2018 get one around 30? Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a Nissan GTR or a Porsche 911 just so I could be in a community of well rounded people of all ages and backgrounds instead of just angry, old, senile men.
Trust me pal, the average age of a Corvette owner is not the problem here. The claim you made in the original post is offensive, so you shouldn't be surprised when people are offended. Go find a deserted stretch of highway in west Tx or i80 through Wyoming if you want to drive that fast. No one cares you went ninety mph, everyone does that sooner or later. Just don't do it in areas where other people are nearby. This is not complicated.
AORoads (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:18 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Or, as is the case in the Northeast (especially around NYC), whatever the lowest speed limit a politician can get away with in the name of "safety" - we have six and eight lane divided highways with no traffic lights and 40-50 mph speed limits, six lane divided roads with traffic lights and 25-30 mph speed limits, and all of our more rural highways are 55 mph. In the 1970's all those same roads had speed limits 15-20 mph higher. If you drive the speed limit on most of those roads, 98% of the cars will be passing you. NY abandoned setting speed limits by science decades ago.
As another LI resident I agree 100%. Now doing 90 in a 45 where that road is single lane in each direction on the near-edge of town is foolish. That said, highway speeds are not scientifically set. They are 100% politically or financially driven. Those highways that were 75 or 80 in the late sixties where America drove bias plies, drum brakes, and wallowy suspensions are often now 55 or 65 in cars that are far more capable at higher speeds yet we are denied the ability to legally use them.

A classic example is the road that is 50 that suddenly goes to 35 for a half mile then back to 50. No driveways, changes in the road, etc. just the drop. That is a revenue generating station. There is one of those between Breckenridge Colorado and Keystone. I got bagged for 50 in 35 to the tune of a couple of hundred bucks. Hope it was worth it to them as the next four ski trips were in Utah because of it. A gain of $200 for a loss of $20K spent locally on those four trips.

Last edited by golden2husky; 03-17-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Garret
No one seemed to bother to even ask where he was and just decided to chastise him based on the speed limit. As I said, we are talking 10 MPH difference here and people are all up in arms when in fact like you just said, oh, 90 on the highway is different...well I hate to tell you, maybe he was on a 45 MPH highway/road in the middle of nowhere. Either way...it's a bunch of people with little to no info all holier then thou....kind of hilarious....
There is no such thing as a 45 mph zone that's safe to travel at 90. No additional information is needed. The offense is egregious due to the level of unnecessary risk, and not the rate of speed alone.
Skid Row Joe (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

There is no such thing as a 45 mph zone that's safe to travel at 90. No additional information is needed. The offense is egregious due to the level of unnecessary risk, and not the rate of speed alone.
You are still not getting this....What is the difference between 45 and 55 where people do over the speed limit? THat's right 10 MPH....it's not the posted speed limit, it's where the road is...which only 1 person asked about. Now I agree if he was in a residential area, dumb....but there again, no one asked and no one has any clue where he was.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
Where I live they just finished rebuilding an exit ramp off the interstate that gives you about a 1/4 mile straight to a 3/8ths mile uphill grade into a 3/8 mile banked decreasing radius curve that flattens into a 3/8th mile straight where other traffic joins in. All with excellent visibility.

Very, very, tempting...
Sounds tasty...and I know I'd be in that for fun whenever I could. I'm not hung up on high speed but I love g-forces!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

You are still not getting this....What is the difference between 45 and 55 where people do over the speed limit? THat's right 10 MPH....it's not the posted speed limit, it's where the road is...which only 1 person asked about. Now I agree if he was in a residential area, dumb....but there again, no one asked and no one has any clue where he was.
The claim made by the OP was 90 in a 45, that's not ten over its 45 over.
My complaint is the unnecessary level of risk and not just the rate of speed.
Residential, commercial or industrial, ninety in a forty five, means you have bad judgement, and its time to revaluate what your doing.
For the record, I have zero problem with people who speed ( even excessively) as long as its done in a careful and calculated way.
Recklessness is offensive.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

My fun zone is from 0-5 MPH to just under 10MPH over the posted limit (57-59 in a 50MPH for a short burst). Generally, fun to get that push back into the seat but find that the C7 and other high HP performance cars in that category can limit that "fun zone" to just a couple of ticks on the second hand before you have to shut down or risk LE intervention.

I have a JCW tuned Mini Cooper w/ around 230 WHP and find that it is a lot more fun to drive that slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I usually drive the speed limit but when I do exceed it, I always keep it no more that 7-9 MPH over the posted limit.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
I have people who want to run often. A BMW suv that was pumped up just yesterday. This was on the freeway. He smoked past me and I told him out loud that his Beamer is way faster than my Vette. There was traffic everywhere. Common sense told me not to play. It wasn’t the time or place. I refuse to loose my car or my license simple because my Vette is fast. I’ve hit my fastest speed on the track only. Not on the street.

You always want to be able to say, "Officer, he may have been racing, but I wasn't racing."
Old 03-17-2018, 10:18 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

At 34 im sure Im one of the youngest corvette owners here.
Skid Row Joe (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 10:19 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Old 03-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Mods, mods! Fsvoboda posted a picture of me without my permission!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:04 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

At 34 im sure Im one of the youngest corvette owners here.
I had a Vette by 34. Paid cash too. You know how when you open a .zip file it acts like a folder? I wrote that. Sold it to Microsoft. Bought my first Corvette with with it.

Got a better story? Didn't think so. ;-)

Last edited by davepl; 03-17-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I had a Vette by 34. Paid cash too. You know how when you open a .zip file it acts like a folder? I wrote that. Sold it to Microsoft. Bought my first Corvette with with it.

Got a better story? Didn't think so. ;-)
Lol ... I'm betting things turned out well after that.
AORoads (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

No one seemed to bother to even ask where he was ...
Y...but there again, no one asked and no one has any clue where he was.
See post #70.

OP has not responded to my question posted there, so naturally we are going to assume the worst.

Finally, it appears that the OP has not been getting the answers he was looking for and has turned to insults when he didn't get his way....from post #98:

"Hate to say it but most people on this forum and the real corvette owners I have encountered on the street are around 70, drive like old grandmas and the only reason they own the Corvette is so they can wash and wax it weekly and drive it once a month at 10 miles under the speed limit to the grocery store and back. At 34 im sure Im one of the youngest corvette owners here. Yes, I know someone here will say back in 1953 they got their first vette at 21 years old but tell me how many guys NOW in 2018 get one around 30? Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a Nissan GTR or a Porsche 911 just so I could be in a community of well rounded people of all ages and backgrounds instead of just angry, old, senile men."

There are those who learn from the experiences of others and avoid trouble and those who hear those experiences but don't listen.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Yes. We have a road in AZ that is 45 and it is nice and straight and you can see for miles! One problem.....when you hit one of those Dips you'll go flying, that is if the bumper that was just torn off stops you.
In most instances where 45 limits are not apparent soon become apparent.

Get notified of new replies

To How fast is too fast for the street?

Old 03-17-2018, 12:58 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
The fact of the matter is that these cars are indeed way too powerful for the public streets. If you can't exercise self control over the power then you need to find a track or trade it in and get a Miata.
I agree 100%. And BTW, a Miata is a perfect choice for someone who likes to drive a car fast. I had a souped up Miata way back and it was a blast. You never really go that fast but you FEEL like you are. Its really true: Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow. Its a safer (and cheaper) way to get your kicks.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm 75 and I now of several dozen of my peers(old farts including a grandma in her Callaway GS SC606) that have driven their Corvettes at speeds between 120 and 150, many times. The trick is to know where and when to do it, so it's safe and you won't end up in jail.

I've have driven my Z06 at 162, but it was on a track, and driving the 36 degree high banked turns takes a little more skill than driving down a perfectly straight highway.
Carvin (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:34 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I've been reading this thread with much amusement--I am carefully putting on my flame retardant undies. Here we go--I feel a bit like someone who stands up at an AA meeting. I have on many occasions exceeded the posted speed limit by double in very short bursts, and speed alone doesn't make it dangerous. Granted, the faster one is traveling and the greater the rate of acceleration, the faster you will come up on trouble and the distance to stop or slow down increases. How does one do this safely? Well, first off, let's take a quiz. Without thinking about it, the next time you're in your C7 make a note of where your eyes are looking through the windshield as if there is an imaginary horizontal line right in the middle of the windshield.

Are you looking above or below that line? Looking above that line casts your gaze much farther out in front and enables your peripheral vision to to see in close to 180 degree arc; you won't see all that if you're looking below the line. This is a basic racer's skill you probably never where taught in street driving.

Also, when you're driving, where are your hands and how far away from the wheel are you sitting? 3 and 9, with a good amount of bend in your elbows sitting fairly straight, holding the wheel firmly but not too tightly so you can make smooth steering, brake and throttle inputs? Or are you one-handing it doing the "Detroit lean" (I'm originally from Ohio and the Detroit lean is slang for driving what was then 70 vintage Caddy's, Chryslers, Lincolns with ping-pong table long hoods where you would see the driver's wrist resting at 12 o'clock on the wheel, tooling around town--but I digress)?

How do you brake normally? Most folks apply the brakes progressively putting more force down as they close in on their desired stopping point, but when you're road racing, you are taught to get on the brakes hard at the start, and get off them. That difference allows for the shortest braking distance even with an ABS car. Big brakes and how to use them to greatest effect is important the faster you want to drive.

Are you paying attention to your driving or are you chatting or worse texting with a companion? You would be surprised at how much the act of talking can affect your reaction times at higher and higher speeds.

And of course, as others have said where is this 45 mph road at and what are the traffic conditions, those are obviously factors that enter into the mix.

I have to tell you that I and everyone else driving a C7 can hit 90 mph taking off from a dead stop and be back down to the posted speed limit, very quickly. And very often with no car around you--unless you're racing another car (which is dangerous on the street) or you're overtaking cars in front of you, what I consider a normal fun acceleration away from a stop light, even just up to the speed limit leaves every other car well behind my car (and that's true when I'm driving my slowest car, a 67 Corvette convertible 327 powerglide car that a V-6 Honda Accord could be beat to 60 mph).

It's incumbent on the driver to use his or her judgment and drive within his or her skills, the conditions present, and not try to overcome the laws of physics. Have you heard track junkies talk about going X tenths--meaning for example 5/10 or 6/10's of what the car and driver is capable of in a given situation?

Some folks are freaked out by the sensation of speed, for example, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. When I'm in my C7 or my 997 honestly (aside from the time it takes to stop and slow down) 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100-135 mph, pretty much anything less than 150 mph--I don't feel a sensation of speed that distracts me from the skill techniques outlined above.

We certainly live in a world full of drivers who are better off not driving fast, and the way to learn is on the track (if you've not guessed, I've done a lot of that--logged thousands of track miles as we've got long seasons down here in Texas and several road course tracks to choose from).

So no, I for one will not say categorically that driving twice the posted speed limit is unsafe anywhere, at any time.

I use all the above technics instinctively now after years and thousands of miles on the track--and yes, I've done 90 in a 45. Oh, and I forgot other personal rules: I do not disable the "nannies" on the street ever, I don't do this after having a drink, and if I have a passenger, I don't do any of this because (like the fine print in commercials) I don't want anyone to mimic my driving. They're not going to have an appreciation for what is going on other than I'm on the gas hard/going fast for a brief moment.

Ok, I'm done now. That's my two cents.

Last edited by boxster99t; 03-17-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: 6 and 9--guess I like 69; 3 and 9 whoops!
The following 3 users liked this post by boxster99t:
ExRedRacer (03-17-2018), joemessman (03-17-2018), owc6 (03-17-2018)

Quick Reply: How fast is too fast for the street?