Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 234 Posts

Picked up my 19 the otherday and I think the paint looks great
Old 03-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I am happy for the guys that have less OP in their paint jobs from the new factory but I sure in hell would never trade my 2017 just to get less OP which does not bother me in the least. I have seen both new and old paint shop cars and without perfect lighting cant tell the difference. Now for the people with paint defects like paint peeling and chipping on the fenders ETC. I hope the new paint facility has fixed those problems.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
i had a 14 and just took delivery of a car from the new paint shop. There is no question that the finish is better. OP is significantly less pronounced but can still be found by close examination under bright fluorescent lighting and when viewed from certain angles. In sunlight, I'm hard-pressed to see any.

I have NEVER seen any mass-produced vehicle w/o OP, including all the Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche, etc. I've owned. I would say cars from the new shop are now nearly equivalent to best of any other mass-produced car.
And lets not forget the new paint shop's real goal was consistency 14-18 some were not bad some were not good
Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

True, but it's also true that all 18-19s painted in the new plant since November are not only more consistent, they have a consistently smoother/better finish.

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I am happy for the guys that have less OP in their paint jobs from the new factory but I sure in hell would never trade my 2017 just to get less OP which does not bother me in the least. I have seen both new and old paint shop cars and without perfect lighting cant tell the difference. Now for the people with paint defects like paint peeling and chipping on the fenders ETC. I hope the new paint facility has fixed those problems.
Excellent point Dave, and I've seen 20+ 18-19s built and painted in the new plant now. There have been no reports of chipping at the joints on the new cars that I'm aware of. One goal of the new plant was to achieve more even coverage on all parts of the panels, including edges. The fit and finish of all panel joints also seems to be very consistent on the new plant cars, and the revamped assembly line probably has a lot to do with that. In addition, the longer and lower heat curing process is apparently a big part of the improved panel finishing process.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:40 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Our new ‘19 Z06 looks like a better paint quality over the ‘17 we traded and the ‘16 we kept. Orange peel on the AW ‘14 wasn’t as noticeable.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

White makes any paint job look decent, even bad ones.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Since the 2017 is basically the 2019, there's no reason for me to trade up either, for fractionally less orange peel than I've noticed on a new paint shop '18 C7. For example, the front cameras my 2017 has are an invaluable option shared with the 2019 2LTs, and above. I use it every time I drive my 3LT. About Arctic White's orange peel being less noticeable? I guess so, but others are claiming their colors have less noticeable orange peel too. So that's not hard and fast about AW's orange peel.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Outlaw Joe
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

The early 18 were painted in the old paint shop.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

i had a 14 and just took delivery of a car from the new paint shop. There is no question that the finish is better. OP is significantly less pronounced but can still be found by close examination under bright fluorescent lighting and when viewed from certain angles. In sunlight, I'm hard-pressed to see any.

I have NEVER seen any mass-produced vehicle w/o OP, including all the Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche, etc. I've owned. I would say cars from the new shop are now nearly equivalent to best of any other mass-produced car.
Good to hear that paint quality has improved - there was definitely room for improvement on some Corvettes.

Any mass produced car that costs less the a quarter million will have some OP - people need to quit being so **** retentive and remember that a Corvette is a mass produced automobile, not a rare museum piece.

A very few manufacturers like RR and Bentley will hand sand all of their cars to eliminate OP, but otherwise there will be some OP present on any car - it is just part of the paint process. I would be more concerned about blatant paint blemishes and peeling paint, than the slightly dimpled surface that is just part of spraying painting a car.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:45 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Video really helps to provide some insight into what the new paint facility is turning out.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
This is only rumors.Less orange peel.I feel like taking mine there and saying to them to give me A decent paint job.They didn’t give me one the 1st time 4 years ago.
Oh. Ok.

Originally Posted by C5Driver
FYI, The hood vent comes pre painted from its manufacturer. The only real process change they made was baking the panels at a much lower temperature over a longer period of time. By doing this it gives the paint a longer time to flow hence less OP.
No. It's a whole new shop. All equipment is 20 years newer.

That wasn't the only change. All the painting equipment including the robotic sprayers are all new and state-of-the-art. They also designed new jigs for all parts to ensure more even coverage.
Yep. And a big big big difference is the current cars get sanded completely between primer and color.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
Picked up a 2019 last week. The long beach red metallic is amazing. The black louver in the hood looks like a jewel.
Post some pics of your car. I have a 2018 LBR (old paint shop) but haven't see a 2019 new paint shop LBR. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Yep. And a big big big difference is the current cars get sanded completely between primer and color.
Really? Surely not by hand, right? Would be an interesting to see that part of the new plant process.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWS44:
Skid Row Joe (03-17-2018), tail_lights (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

I have been interested in this and looked at dozens of C7s painted in prior years and the post plant upgrade ones coming from the new paint shop, including mine. What I think the new paint shop has achieved is greater consistency. I haven't found any cars coming from the new paint shop that don't look good. Although I have seen some small 1-2" dulled areas where it looks like something spilled on the paint; but those buff out easily.

With the old paint shop it was more of a crap shoot. Some looked really good, maybe even better than the ones from the new paint shop, while others, well, not so good.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DWS44
Really? Surely not by hand, right? Would be an interesting to see that part of the new plant process.
robotic is all i know.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
I have been interested in this and looked at dozens of C7s painted in prior years and the post plant upgrade ones coming from the new paint shop, including mine. What I think the new paint shop has achieved is greater consistency. I haven't found any cars coming from the new paint shop that don't look good. Although I have seen some small 1-2" dulled areas where it looks like something spilled on the paint; but those buff out easily.

With the old paint shop it was more of a crap shoot. Some looked really good, maybe even better than the ones from the new paint shop, while others, well, not so good.
this is what people that have no idea what it takes to manufacture a car can't seem to understand.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-19-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:52 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

The dealership where I bought my '17 Z06 just got a '19 Sebring Orange Z06 in last week so I went to check it out. Honestly, I could not tell a bit of difference in the paint between my car and the new one. Orange peel is there on both and while it's not severe on either car you can definitely tell it's there if you're looking for it. I guess my expectations from the new paint shop were a smooth as glass finish that looked like something from a custom paint shop, but that's definitely not the case. Don't get me wrong, the paint still looked nice, but you just as easily could have said my '17 was a '19 and vice versa and nobody would know the difference.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Don't get me wrong, the paint still looked nice, but you just as easily could have said my '17 was a '19 and vice versa and nobody would know the difference.
I still think that might represent real progress on C7 finish quality. In the past there were some very nicely finished cars, as it sounds like your '17 is. But there were some really bad outcomes and it sucked to feel like you were rolling the dice to see how yours turned out.

Now from what I am hearing, the finish is consistently, extremely nice, if not leagues ahead of the best older C7's. I see that as great progress on what is after all a mass produced car that hits a budget - which is what let's a lot of us own one after all.

I don't see how any of that can be a bad thing and none of us thought we were buying a 1/4 million dollar Bentley, did we?.

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 03-20-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: New Bowling Green Paint Shop