Sponsored by:

What do you "dust off" your car with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

This is getting rather silly.

Some don't notice micro scratches, or it doesn't bother them, and some do. They aren't all that noticeable except under bright fluorescent iights at certain angles when one does a close examination.

Those who say the dusters don't produce them just aren't looking closely, which is cool. The car is still going to look great to almost everyone looking at it.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
When she finishes inside, I send her to the garage to do the cars.

Here's what bra cup sizes stand for:

A=Almost breasts
B=Barely *****
C=Cool
D=Damn!
E=Enormous!
F=Fake
G=Get a reduction.
H=Help I've fallen and I can't get up!
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (03-20-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I use a plush microfiber rag and Duragloss Aqua. It is very slick. I mean real slick! And when I'm done the car looks sick! Real sick. But...I have very few micro scratches and I do this religiously every morning. In order to see the micro scrathes you need that light the foosh refereed to.
When I took the car in for the oil change a couple of weeks ago the service writer said he has never seen a LBR look that slick and shinny. He brought the in house detailers over to look at it and asked me to share what I did to get those results. I was a proud puppy!
Now enough gloating. There are a lot of good suggestions here depending on the time you have and your tolerance for detail.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

A-F thanks for my pre St. Patty Day smile.

OK, as usual the newbie from Albany has a strange one....The temp of the water you use????? Dose the polish, detail spry, fiberglass, paint, yadda yadda ,know the differance? Mr Science .
Old 03-16-2018, 10:37 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I still use the California duster. I shake it out after using. Using light pressure (just the weight of the threads, basically) really shouldn't scratch it.
Same here. I constantly knock the dust off it as I’m using it. Used on my C6 and now my C7 Z06 and have never noticed any scratches or damage to the paint.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Are you serious? That table has some mean orange peel on it.
There is a table somewhere??
The following 2 users liked this post by jtranger:
blkvet6 (03-19-2018), DWillys (05-23-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When convenient, I use a touchless car wash to remove dust and dirt.

At home, I use my air compressor with a short piece of rubber hose on the nozzle tip, in case I someday bump the car. Always keep the air blast mostly parallel to the surface, you want to blow the dust away and not blast it into the paint. Start with the nozzle a couple of feet away and gradually work closer. Finish gently with detail stray.

15+ years of doing this and my only scratches have been from road trash.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:21 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Table? There's a table there?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
Recently, the temps were actually above 40 degrees, so I took my Z06 out for a little drive. Upon backing out of the garage, I immediately noticed a light coating of dust on my beautiful, black paint.

Having watched tons and tons of You Tube videos about detailing, I know that "lubricity" is very important when attempting to do anything regarding the paint on a vehicle, so now I am very paranoid about "marring" and "swirl marks."

In the past, I didn't care at all about that stuff, and used a California Duster to lightly go over the black Lexus IS 250 AWD F-Sport that I owned before my Vette purchase. It worked really well, but since my "coming of age" regarding detailing, I have learned that the California duster should not be used on a vehicle, because it picks up dirt and debris (which is what it is supposed to do), but then that dirt and debris on the duster causes damage to your paint the more you continue to use it.

Consequently, I am looking for another solution. Chemical Guys has a Merino Wool duster that looks like it might work, but I thought that some of you might also have some wise and experienced suggestions!

So, what do you think? How do you dust off your Corvette?
I have a black ZO6 and had a California duster. It was fine for the hood and the roof, but I didn't like the way it dusted the sides of the car. The duster flopped down and i had to apply too much pressure to keep the duster in contact with the car. I bought the chemical guys marino wool duster. It is much lighter and stays in contact with the sides of the car with very light pressure. You are supposed to put it in between your hands often as your dusting the car and spin it quickly to get rid of any dirt accumulated in the duster. Then you run your hand lightly over the duster to make it pull the dust off of the car with almost no pressure on the paint. I have been using it for about a year and so far it does not seem to have made any swirls or light scratches.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Those who say the dusters don't produce them just aren't looking closely, which is cool. The car is still going to look great to almost everyone looking at it.
On the detailing forums I visit occasionally, the pro detailers like to refer to it as the California Car Scratcher. They LOVE this product, because it brings them business to correct the paint!

I used to use it on my black C5 and even though I used the lightest pressure possible and only used it when the dust was minimal, it still marred the paint. I switched to using detailing spray/microfiber cloth when I got my LeMans Blue C6 and I had virtually no marring in that finish after I did the initial paint correction on it (the paint was badly marred when I first picked it up)
Foosh (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
On the detailing forums I visit occasionally, the pro detailers like to refer to it as the California Car Scratcher. They LOVE this product, because it brings them business to correct the paint!

I used to use it on my black C5 and even though I used the lightest pressure possible and only used it when the dust was minimal, it still marred the paint. I switched to using detailing spray/microfiber cloth when I got my LeMans Blue C6 and I had virtually no marring in that finish after I did the initial paint correction on it (the paint was badly marred when I first picked it up)
+1

The guys at Esoteric Auto Detailing and Obsessed Garage would stroke out if they heard of someone using the California Duster!

Old 03-17-2018, 08:08 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

There is a big difference between dust and dirt!
If my car was washed and put away in the garage it will get dusty I use the duster to wipe off.
If the car was driven and gets a little dirty I use spray detailer.
If the car is driven and gets more then a little dirty it gets washed .
This isn't rocket science it you drag dirt across your paint your are going to scratch the paint I not a fan of the spray detailer for the same reason than why I only use for a light film not a dirty car!
Rebel Yell (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Use a Furniture Duster.California dusters need more pressure to work.Surface has to be slippedy just wax feel.Dust literally will slide off with slight one way no swirling dusting.Link,DOESN'T Work,Search homepage for furniture duster.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Libman-Co...wool-Duster/74

Last edited by DALE#3; 03-17-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

This is getting rather silly.

Some don't notice micro scratches, or it doesn't bother them, and some do. They aren't all that noticeable except under bright fluorescent iights at certain angles when one does a close examination.

This sums it up. When I had my silver 2008 I learned as I went much like the OP. Can't believe in the early washes I dragged a water blade over it!
So I must have had some micro scratches / swirls but I honestly couldn't see them. Ignorance = bliss?

Have tried many products, current fave is Wolfgang Uber. It is a concentrate which you can dilute as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, detail spray
or clay lube and this stuff is seriously slick.
Foosh (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
I don't see any orange peel here!
My bet is there's some orange peel on the back side!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,719 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids65
There is a big difference between dust and dirt!
If my car was washed and put away in the garage it will get dusty I use the duster to wipe off.
If the car was driven and gets a little dirty I use spray detailer.
If the car is driven and gets more then a little dirty it gets washed .
This isn't rocket science it you drag dirt across your paint your are going to scratch the paint I not a fan of the spray detailer for the same reason than why I only use for a light film not a dirty car!
Exactly
IMO, the key word here is California "Duster" which means just that. It's meant for removal of interior dust particles that accumulate on car's surface between washings.
I will use a California Duster perhaps once after a car has been washed and garaged for the winter to remove dust or felt residue left from a car cover. However, once the car has been taken outside or driven where it becomes "dirty" the duster will not be used until car is washed again.
Even under very close inspection of black cars I have not found any imperfections left by using a California Duster in the above manner.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-17-2018 at 09:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Foosh (03-17-2018), Rebel Yell (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

^

Kevin,

I don't disagree with that, but I think many use them in ways you've just said are not recommended. What you suggest above is fine, but I'd rather use a little detailer and a plush microfiber towel.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Kevin A Jones (03-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What do you "dust off" your car with?

Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM
tony abbski
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

May have to make a pit stop before heading to the garage.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ron landgraf
I use Griots Ultimate Microfiber Car Duster. One for the top of the car one for the bottom. After 15 months, no scratches.
Car has 9600 miles, never been washed.
Also use their Speed Shine and Detailing Towels.
Being in central Texas, I see little rain.
Griots makes great products.
My detailer turned me on to them years ago and have always been pleased with their stuff.
However, I still use a California Duster.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

That is one of the great advantages of light silver and white cars. Swirls just blend right in.
Of course my friend the trick is to use the "duster" only on light dust. If used at the wrong time silver won't even hide the swirl marks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (03-17-2018), Foosh (03-17-2018), Kevin A Jones (03-17-2018)

Quick Reply: What do you "dust off" your car with?