Sponsored by:

What do you "dust off" your car with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:25 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Use a Furniture Duster.California dusters need more pressure to work.Surface has to be slippedy just wax feel.Dust literally will slide off with slight one way no swirling dusting.Link,DOESN'T Work,Search homepage for furniture duster.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Libman-Co...wool-Duster/74
Interesting - looks similar to the duster that Chemical Guys sell.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
^

Kevin,

I don't disagree with that, but I think many use them in ways you've just said are not recommended. What you suggest above is fine, but I'd rather use a little detailer and a plush microfiber towel.
Yep, using a duster to remove road dust is similar to using fine sandpaper.
Now that you have your Sebring Orange finish the way you want it, should be a lot easier caring for it than your black C7.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:16 PM
flyint
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

have had some success with using air to blow the dust off. California Duster ok if you're very careful to shake it out well after a couple of swipes.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, SO is pretty awesome in terms of hiding that fine layer of dust. However, I got over stressing too much about it on black.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:36 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Have not dusted off my new Vette yet. As I stated in an earlier post I have always used the California Duster. After reading all the post, I went out and bought a bottle of Griots Speed Shine. I will give that a try with some good micro fiber towels and put the CD to rest.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:18 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

So how is using a california (or similar) duster that much different than using a detail spray with a microfiber towel. Doesn't the dust that could be scratching that is in the duster also get trapped into the microfiber towel even though you may have lubricant applied as well?

My Xpel installer also suggested I don't use a duster, but I'm thinking geez, isn't the Xpel supposed to protect from scratches! I still use a duster, although I hate the red duster because it leaves red lint around...after a lot of searching I finally found a black one again (still leaves lint I guess, it just blends in :-) and I do use it from time to time. But not for anything heavy, just fine light dust.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by dvilin
Have not dusted off my new Vette yet. As I stated in an earlier post I have always used the California Duster. After reading all the post, I went out and bought a bottle of Griots Speed Shine. I will give that a try with some good micro fiber towels and put the CD to rest.
As been stated, Blade Silver finish hides scratches very well. One of the things I like about it.
dvilin (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:47 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
So how is using a california (or similar) duster that much different than using a detail spray with a microfiber towel. Doesn't the dust that could be scratching that is in the duster also get trapped into the microfiber towel even though you may have lubricant applied as well?

My Xpel installer also suggested I don't use a duster, but I'm thinking geez, isn't the Xpel supposed to protect from scratches! I still use a duster, although I hate the red duster because it leaves red lint around...after a lot of searching I finally found a black one again (still leaves lint I guess, it just blends in :-) and I do use it from time to time. But not for anything heavy, just fine light dust.
The dust on the car will mix with the detail spray and lubricate the dust particles. The theory is less chance scratching with lubricated dust as to not lubricated. It has worked on my long beach red as there are very few swirls and scratches on it compared to my other car that has significantly more fine scratches on it using the the duster. I can tell by holding a light to the paint finish. Surprisingly there on large areas on the C7 that have no scratches at all. I would post pictures, but you just can't focus that well. Even cars that have fine scratches and swirls on them look good in photos after they have bee freshly washed.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Go to a car show and you'll see plenty of owners with paint jobs way nicer than a Corvette using California Dusters on them.
Maxie2U (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Go to a car show and you'll see plenty of owners with paint jobs way nicer than a Corvette using California Dusters on them.
You do, but as I stated in a earlier post, I believe California Dusters are fine for removing what I call interior dust from a car cover lining or being parked for extended periods in a fairly clean garage. This is more fiber dust and not very abrasive.
However I wouldn't drive a car down a dirt road then clean the dust off with a California Duster.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:42 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

To gain first place in a lot of shows and to not touch the finish i wash then use my leaf blower to remove all water, Before i remove my cover or if i forget to close the hood i use the leaf blower. There are front and rear areas i have never touched since 1993. Some times before i begin to wash any of my cars i use my leaf blower. The clear coat on these cars scratch rather quickly with little pressure!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:44 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Well If you have at least half a brain you know the difference between light dust and dirt. With that half a brain you can then decide what to use to remove dust. I have several black cars and I've been using a California duster for LIGHT Dust and I"ll put my car up against anybody's for comparison. Not bragging just use Common sense and you'll be OK.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I have been a friend of Adam, owner and founder of Adam's Polishes, for many years. He has told me NEVER use a California duster for the obvious reasons. I have a black C7 and use a good detail spray and quality micro fiber towels. I also had my car nano coated professionally done with OptiCoat. After using every wax product that you can imagine over the years, i swear by nano coating. And it makes dusting so much easier, and the car collects less dust. My C7 is my daily driver in So Cal, and I am a clean car freak.
I wonder if he would say the same thing if he owned California Duster instead of Adam’s?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:16 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Occasionally I use a California Duster, but I will also use some Adam’s Polishes detail spray and a microfiber towel to get the dust off. Seems to work very well.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This works surprising well.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I've been to 4 shows this year already and haven't seen one yet. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I used to see them all of the time.

My detailer did tell me that they worked "ok" but you do take the chance of capturing just one grain of sand and that one grain can do a lot of damage without you noticing at first. It's a chance people take picking up something that might scratch so I'm not using mine anymore after he said that. I used them a lot on my C5's and I would buff them out a couple of times a year. Some like them, some do not. We do what we feel like and what fits our lifestyle.

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 03-18-2018 at 10:57 AM.
sprinkler (05-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What do you "dust off" your car with?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:45 AM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Will taking a car cover on and off leave fine scratches ?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by JJAY
All depends on the lining of the car cover, which is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing one. Cheap car cover often equals rough lining which can scratch paint. I like the lining on my OEM GM car cover, extremely soft and fits my GS like a glove.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JJAY
I would imagine IF you covered it after a water wash and air dry probably not. The same with "dust" but if you cover it after driving and there was some "dirt" on it, it would probably be the same as the "dusters". Makes sense to me

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 03-18-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you "dust off" your car with?