Sponsored by:

What do you "dust off" your car with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
Recently, the temps were actually above 40 degrees, so I took my Z06 out for a little drive. Upon backing out of the garage, I immediately noticed a light coating of dust on my beautiful, black paint.

Having watched tons and tons of You Tube videos about detailing, I know that "lubricity" is very important when attempting to do anything regarding the paint on a vehicle, so now I am very paranoid about "marring" and "swirl marks."

In the past, I didn't care at all about that stuff, and used a California Duster to lightly go over the black Lexus IS 250 AWD F-Sport that I owned before my Vette purchase. It worked really well, but since my "coming of age" regarding detailing, I have learned that the California duster should not be used on a vehicle, because it picks up dirt and debris (which is what it is supposed to do), but then that dirt and debris on the duster causes damage to your paint the more you continue to use it.

Consequently, I am looking for another solution. Chemical Guys has a Merino Wool duster that looks like it might work, but I thought that some of you might also have some wise and experienced suggestions!

So, what do you think? How do you dust off your Corvette?

I use Topcoat F11 before every drive. No water, no foam, no other chemicals ever. It leaves no swirls or marks of any kind.
BTW, This is not my daily driver.

Last edited by vxplt; 03-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:30 AM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
All depends on the lining of the car cover, which is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing one. Cheap car cover often equals rough lining which can scratch paint. I like the lining on my OEM GM car cover, extremely soft and fits my GS like a glove.
Kevin: Do you only use it after the car is completely clean ? Do you use it after you have also driven the car ?

I just did a full paint correction and now paranoid about putting on my OEM GM cover ... at least not after driving the car which might have picked up some grit.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I only put my cover on when the car is clean, otherwise you'll get dirt on the underside of the cover. Which is why my car has been sitting un-covered for a few months now. Been too cold to wash it and I made the mistake of not cleaning it after I drove it last. So now it is getting more dust on it, but it will get a good rinse and cleaning once things warm up a bit...
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by JJAY
Kevin: Do you only use it after the car is completely clean ? Do you use it after you have also driven the car ?

I just did a full paint correction and now paranoid about putting on my OEM GM cover ... at least not after driving the car which might have picked up some grit.
Correct, I never put a car over a dirty car. Not only can it scratch your car finish, but the dust/dirt can get into your lining and continue to scratch finish even after you have washed the car.

If I just take a car for a quick drive on a nice day on a clean/dry road I will put the cover back on it as long as I feel it hasn't gotten dirty.
JJAY (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Has anyone washed a OEM GM car cover?
If so, does it shrink or damage the cover?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I use the California Duster on this exclusively. This car has been washed once in 10 years, otherwise, only dusted. Paint is in great condition still.

Pictures prove very little of course but at least you can tell there's no hazy or swirl marks in the reflections of the bright lights, etc...

I used to cover it but now prefer to leave it exposed and dust it periodically... that way I can see it!
Attached Images  

Last edited by davepl; 03-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by davepl:
blkvet6 (03-19-2018), Maxie2U (03-18-2018), Rebel Yell (03-18-2018), sunsalem (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:08 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
I've been to 4 shows this year already and haven't seen one yet. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I used to see them all of the time.

My detailer did tell me that they worked "ok" but you do take the chance of capturing just one grain of sand and that one grain can do a lot of damage without you noticing at first. It's a chance people take picking up something that might scratch so I'm not using mine anymore after he said that. I used them a lot on my C5's and I would buff them out a couple of times a year. Some like them, some do not. We do what we feel like and what fits our lifestyle.
Question, what's to say you won't pick up a grain of sand with your micro fiber cloth if you're using detail spray?

It's all about paying attention to details...

Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I never ever "dust" off my Corvette (or any of our cars). I use the California Duster that I have to dust off the dashboard area. I never use waterless wash either. I wash the Corvette by rinsing with water, washing with carwash solution, usually Maguires or Turtle wash then wipe down with a sponge cloth. I only use the sponge cloth two or three times for the Corvette, then it gets handed down to the pail I use to wash the Lexuses.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Question, what's to say you won't pick up a grain of sand with your micro fiber cloth if you're using detail spray?

It's all about paying attention to details...

I don't even use the micro-fiber towels on the paint, I use the towels from Zaino.

https://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merch...ode=padstowels

Old 03-18-2018, 01:15 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I don't even use the micro-fiber towels on the paint, I use the towels from Zaino.

I guess those towels you use won't pick up a grain of sand?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
I guess those towels you use won't pick up a grain of sand?
I think they are specially designed to repel sand and dirt particles while removing dust, all without any lubrication.

What do you think?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I find that the dust disappears after a nice long ride so I never dust my car.
Nope it stays on esp on black. Black shows everything pretty quick. Best is to spray it down with water an dry it with an absorber. If it was just dust. Otherwise wash it!

Never use a dry towels or cotton towel on black.. No faith in any waterless stuff either.
I wash cars about single everyday.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

All depends on the lining of the car cover, which is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing one. Cheap car cover often equals rough lining which can scratch paint. I like the lining on my OEM GM car cover, extremely soft and fits my GS like a glove.

I use the same type cover and my car is always covered in the garage. After EVERY drive I use Zaino Z6 detailer before the cover goes on. Every 3-6 months I wash the cover in the washing machine on a gentle cycle. Talk about OCD!
Kevin A Jones (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:40 PM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Has anyone washed a OEM GM car cover?
If so, does it shrink or damage the cover?
I washed mine in the Spa Whirlpool Bathtub with bubble bath ...

Then let it dry outside, draped over the lawn furniture.
Kevin A Jones (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:44 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Wiping the car with anything can create fine scratches unless you have the paint protected, wax, a wrap, etc. keep it polished up and the California Duster or detailer with microfiber towel are fine. Just remember low, low pressure when touching the paint.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:48 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I think they are specially designed to repel sand and dirt particles while removing dust, all without any lubrication.

What do you think?
I think that's what they TOLD you they do. My California Duster was "designed" to repel sand and dirt.

Now we're even. That means they both CAN pick up sand and dirt.

I guess you'll disagree with this also...

Have A Bless'd Day

Rob Petyo (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Have not dusted off my new Vette yet. As I stated in an earlier post I have always used the California Duster. After reading all the post, I went out and bought a bottle of Griots Speed Shine. I will give that a try with some good micro fiber towels and put the CD to rest.
You'll like it Dave. While I don't use the Griots, the stuff I use is extremely easy, and makes the car shine like my old bald head in the sun.
dvilin (03-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What do you "dust off" your car with?

Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I've been to 4 shows this year already and haven't seen one yet. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I used to see them all of the time.

My detailer did tell me that they worked "ok" but you do take the chance of capturing just one grain of sand and that one grain can do a lot of damage without you noticing at first. It's a chance people take picking up something that might scratch so I'm not using mine anymore after he said that. I used them a lot on my C5's and I would buff them out a couple of times a year. Some like them, some do not. We do what we feel like and what fits our lifestyle.
Unless you're going as spectator, you aren't going to the shows I go to. They don't allow new cars, like NSRA and Goodguys. You sure don't want to be spraying detail spray on a car that has been sitting in the direct sunlight for hours.

When I get my car to a show (early morning arrival), I'll use detail spray and microfiber but then the California Duster comes out a couple of times during the day.

I don't take my Corvette to shows. My old stuff is for that, currently a 69 Camaro.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I keep a Swiffer in the storage area for light dust. I wash it for anything heavy
Really good dust pick up. Doesn't scratch
Fits nice in the rear storage bin
Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM
geraldschumann
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Sneezing

Originally Posted by 383vett
I've always used the California Duster but I've never had a black car.
Sneezing on a black car causes swirl marks...

Quick Reply: What do you "dust off" your car with?