C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery installed....car won't start...anyone know how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:17 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Just a suggestion, but if it were me, and I had a set of jumper cables, I'd jumper right from the battery, new or old, to the POS and NEG cables in the car and see what happens. Not sure how the power fuse block plays into this...

Ken
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-08-2021)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Good luck my Corvette friend. I'm going to hang around to see the problem, and the fix. One never knows when that info. may be needed.

Leave it to GM to make changing a battery so damned complicated.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:49 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
OP here when you do put all the cables onto the post to the point you think they are good. DOES YOUR LIGHTS THAT ARE IN THE TRUNK DO THEY COME ON ALSO.Robert
YES, this forces me to continue taking the cable off. But I have been only pushing it on by hand each time I need it on. I will do a permanent install again to see what happens. Also, lit up are the side markers, both front and rear. I'm taking a good break now...this is wearing on this old body! lol

Mine is also a 2014. I will look for another wire.....

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 03-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by JerryU
Don’t feel bad! Several posts where a C7 tech ripped it. Can almost guarantee for those who have not looked at the battery and followed my “remove the rear bottom plastic wheel well cover clip,” when they call AAA for a jump start, they will rip it!

It can be done with you fingers, it’s not the many very substantial clips that hold a lot of the interior parts together! Goes back with the side of a closed hand.
yes, I have done it with just my fingers, and nearly lost a fingernail in the process. What I have done is trim the ripped section neatly so it can be functional and decent looking...could add some duct tape to make it look tolerably like a seam.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Old 03-17-2018, 01:56 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by probono
Just a suggestion, but if it were me, and I had a set of jumper cables, I'd jumper right from the battery, new or old, to the POS and NEG cables in the car and see what happens. Not sure how the power fuse block plays into this...

Ken
Ken, yes, I tried that from the wife's car...still wouldn't start. Also, tried it from the battery charger which has a "start" setting...no luck either way.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Since we both have 2014 only diff from what I can think of is I have a 3lt car may be that only on something if you don't have that in my car has to have a feed wire. Good luck man but I just don't see you with a blown fuse at all.

The only reason I am telling you about the pos cable being really good on screwing it down good & flat on that nut. I did this on my car just this week on replacing my battery.. Robert
Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

took another look and now I see the fuses ...never noticed the nearly illegible, faint numbers on the black plastic.... How do I check them? Do they lift up like regular fuses? Also, I don't see an extra wire...unless when I put it all together I missed something. The hatch lights are much brighter now yet they still stay on until I disconnect the neg terminal. I might try a random check of all the fuses, but sure wish it doesn't come to that. Also, I wish I could raise the window...if this car needs to be towed to the dealer I doubt they would keep it indoors.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Did you try to jump straight from the removed battery to the wires in the car? If it starts, then the 300A is in trouble.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:01 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Could the car be in transport Mode??

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...port-mode.html
Old 03-17-2018, 03:59 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

is it possible to try boosting the Corvette with another vehicle, at least that way you can eliminate the possibility of it being the starter or any other system that starts up the car.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-08-2021)
Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
took another look and now I see the fuses ...never noticed the nearly illegible, faint numbers on the black plastic.... How do I check them? Do they lift up like regular fuses? Also, I don't see an extra wire...unless when I put it all together I missed something. The hatch lights are much brighter now yet they still stay on until I disconnect the neg terminal. I might try a random check of all the fuses, but sure wish it doesn't come to that. Also, I wish I could raise the window...if this car needs to be towed to the dealer I doubt they would keep it indoors.
You just have to check the fuses for continuity. Or you could check the downstream side of the fuse to ground with voltmeter and see if you have full 12 volts.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:42 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You just have to check the fuses for continuity. Or you could check the downstream side of the fuse to ground with voltmeter and see if you have full 12 volts.
I would go with checking the protected side to ground for voltage since this avoids potential meter damage if using an older analog meter that is set to check resistance. It also ensures you are not just checking the fuse but also the connections to it which may be the fault.

The cheapest Harbor Freight DMM will be fine for doing tests like these. I keep a couple of cheap ones around when friends want to borrow something because nobody is borrowing my HP or Tektronix bench DMMs
Old 03-17-2018, 04:42 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

...just removed the CF splitter and the sideskirts.... looks like this car is going to be towed Monday. Fingers crossed....
Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Did you have anybody perform a load test on the battery? A voltage test without a load doesn't prove that the battery will be able to start the car.

As an aside, I learned something recently: you have a battery that won't accept a charge and another battery that will. Install your battery charger directly to the battery that will accept the charge and connect battery cables from the good battery to the bad one, positive to positive and negative to negative. Chances are that that the second battery will charge if it's not completely gone.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
...just removed the CF splitter and the sideskirts.... looks like this car is going to be towed Monday. Fingers crossed....
Buddy don't know no more to tell you on this one. But my car was giving me PITA until I did the pos cable as tight as it would go. Go luck on Monday with the dealer. I do know next time I going to pay the dealer 25.00 to chg this dam thing out. Robert
Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Damn this thread has me concerned about replacing my OEM battery this summer on its 3 year anniversary. I have the netwelding PDF and will use it as a reference. I bought a battery lifting tool. Wish me luck.

Get notified of new replies

To New battery installed....car won't start...anyone know how to fix?

Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Damn this thread has me concerned about replacing my OEM battery this summer on its 3 year anniversary. I have the netwelding PDF and will use it as a reference. I bought a battery lifting tool. Wish me luck.
It might be best to have the dealer replace it.
Rebel Yell (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
You can do it! Many posts with positive results (pun intended!) This is a strange one but electrical problems can be confusing!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerryU
You can do it! Many posts with positive results (pun intended!) This is a strange one but electrical problems can be confusing!
$25.00 from the dealer from my head ache from it & getting everything reset. I would give the 25.00 the next time plus the dam battery got my little finger from that dam little batt box hole. It was 45 lb hit on the side I was seeing stars blood & all PITA for 25.00.

Now pulling out both seats got them out & one apart now doing the comp seat conv so far so good. But I did get my battery problems worked out in the car.. Robert

Quick Reply: New battery installed....car won't start...anyone know how to fix?