C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery installed....car won't start...anyone know how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Is the dealer usually the best source to purchase a Delco battery for self installation?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The dealer is generally the last choice in terms of price. Many retailers carry Delco batteries and there are many other good alternative brands.

Although it is an extreme example I remember when my 2002 Olds Aurora was 4 years old I brought it to the dealer for a recall and they wanted to change the "fan" belt while it was in. The charge was $70 for the belt and $50 for installation. I picked up the same Gates belt for $12 at Farm and Fleet and installed it in under 5 minutes.

Once you get past getting to the battery without damage to the carpet the most important thing to remember is the negative cable is the first to be removed and the last to be attached.
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Is the dealer usually the best source to purchase a Delco battery for self installation?
Depends on if they give you a discount or not. My local parts store is a Delco dealer and sells batteries and Delco parts at about 60% of list price.

Gold Series battery lists for $216, got it for about $138.

rmorin1249 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Thanks. I am shopping online now. Comparing Delco AGMs with other brands like the one another forum member installed in his C7. I think he bought it from Batteries Plus. I think it has a 5 year non-prorated warranty. I leaning toward going with an AGM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Depends on if they give you a discount or not. My local parts store is a Delco dealer and sells batteries and Delco parts at about 60% of list price.

Gold Series battery lists for $216, got it for about $138.

That is a nice discount. I need to do some serious shopping as I doubt any dealer will give that big of a discount. Is this Delco a regular lead acid battery?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Lucky for me, I learned that battery connections need to be tight when I was 18.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This Sears Diehard is AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)
size G48; Their Model 50748Sears

This is what I got to replaced my OEM battery.

Elmer
JerryU (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
Lucky for me, I learned that battery connections need to be tight when I was 18.
Believe I learned that when I was 10/13 from Pop! However the C7 is different! It's more than the posts! I found the issue the OP experienced but did not think to raise it as a possibility! The bussbar is very stiff and I found the nut did NOT start properly on the threads. Best to start by hand and only use a wrench when you are sure it's started.

This is a Caution I have in my PDF: Note: That captive nut creates an install issue! To get the nut started, found I had to slightly bend the buss bar so the nut was perpendicular to the stud. Not hard but don’t strip the stud threads by using a wrench before you start the nut!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-19-2018 at 11:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
Hopper12 (03-23-2018), NSC5 (03-19-2018), Rich0071 (06-05-2020)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
That is a nice discount. I need to do some serious shopping as I doubt any dealer will give that big of a discount. Is this Delco a regular lead acid battery?
This professional grade gold series battery has a 42 month free replacement warranty, where I think the AGM battery only has a 30 or 36 month free replacement warranty.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM
allpork
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of great information here. Thanks to all for sharing.

Has anyone encountered any issues after completion of the battery replacement resulting from the vehicle being without electrical power? For example the RKEs not working, setting changes, etc?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by allpork
Lots of great information here. Thanks to all for sharing.

Has anyone encountered any issues after completion of the battery replacement resulting from the vehicle being without electrical power? For example the RKEs not working, setting changes, etc?
I disconnected my battery, positive side, when I changed my steering wheel, when i put it all together i had to index my windows and all was good
allpork (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Indexing the windows should be all that is needed after a battery change. If you have a convertible top it may not function until after the window indexing is completed.

A capable owner is often going to do a better job of changing the battery than the dealer. Most dealers don't replace that many Corvette batteries so there is a good chance the tech doing yours has little or no past experience with it AND you can be sure he/she doesn't care as much about your car as you do. Take your time following the instructions posted previously in this thread and it will come out OK.

And this is a good time of year to change if you think your battery is showing its age. Although the Corvette battery has less heat exposure than those mounted under the hood a lot of batteries that die a sudden death will do so in the heat of summer. In winter a slowly failing battery will usually reveal itself before it dies but in summer starting load is lighter and a sick battery may appear OK until it is suddenly dead.
The following 3 users liked this post by NSC5:
allpork (03-19-2018), george vee (03-19-2018), JerryU (03-19-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Lots of great information here. Th

anks to all for sharing.

Surprisingly, everything was retained...all settings work perfectly, and it seems the car is more vibrant now...I mean, lights are brighter, engine turns over much easier, and the sound of the crank is more robust. Apparently, the old battery was dying a slow death and I did not recognize it. It is still useful around the house, I have a 12v winch that suits it well.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:35 PM
allpork
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Surprisingly, everything was retained...all settings work perfectly, and it seems the car is more vibrant now...I mean, lights are brighter, engine turns over much easier, and the sound of the crank is more robust. Apparently, the old battery was dying a slow death and I did not recognize it. It is still useful around the house, I have a 12v winch that suits it well.
I replaced mine yesterday and found that the Driver side window needed to be re-indexed. Other than everything else seems to be fine.

My OEM battery came out a Nov 2013 build and for the most part always seemed "sluggish". The time was right.

Thanks again for all the great info and to JerryU for his outstanding write up.
$$$frumnuttin' (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:40 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I replaced mine yesterday and found that the Driver side window needed to be re-indexed. Other than everything else seems to be fine.

My OEM battery came out a Nov 2013 build and for the most part always seemed "sluggish". The time was right.

Thanks again for all the great info and to JerryU for his outstanding write up.
Good work! now how banged up are your hands?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Indexing the windows should be all that is needed after a battery change. If you have a convertible top it may not function until after the window indexing is completed.

A capable owner is often going to do a better job of changing the battery than the dealer. Most dealers don't replace that many Corvette batteries so there is a good chance the tech doing yours has little or no past experience with it AND you can be sure he/she doesn't care as much about your car as you do. Take your time following the instructions posted previously in this thread and it will come out OK.

And this is a good time of year to change if you think your battery is showing its age. Although the Corvette battery has less heat exposure than those mounted under the hood a lot of batteries that die a sudden death will do so in the heat of summer. In winter a slowly failing battery will usually reveal itself before it dies but in summer starting load is lighter and a sick battery may appear OK until it is suddenly dead.
100% any time I have unhooked my battery I have had to do the conv top & windows each & every time. Robert
Old 03-21-2018, 06:53 PM
allpork
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Good work! now how banged up are your hands?
I used a post strap so my hands didn't get banged up. Problem was because the battery posts are recessed, the positive side of the strap dropped off the post so my right arm had to bear the whole load while I used my left hand/arm to steer and lower the battery into place.

Get notified of new replies

To New battery installed....car won't start...anyone know how to fix?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Khlept0
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to bump this up and say thank you. You saved me tons of misery this weekend after spending hours last night fighting to remove and re-insert my battery. And then the gremlins arrived.

Couldn't figure out why SOME of the functions worked but not all of them.

When I went to hit unlock, the doors wouldn't open. The screen didn't light up but I could clearly open the hatch with the fob. The battery tested fine. When attempting to open the doors the window only went down a few inches. I was pretty sure I had everything tightened down. Wrong.
JerryU (01-30-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 AM
RUSTYNKL
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I used two big vice grips to get the old battery out. Yes the battery change in a c7 is a BIG pita!
Yaupon (01-31-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:32 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSTYNKL
I used two big vice grips to get the old battery out. Yes the battery change in a c7 is a BIG pita!
I found that the hooks on a a bungee cord can be inserted into the vent holes to lift the battery out. Worked like a champ!
Rich0071 (06-05-2020)

Quick Reply: New battery installed....car won't start...anyone know how to fix?