C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to break the news to your wife that you're buying a new Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:00 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to break the news to your wife

Originally Posted by 02ebvert
I live by this rule. It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. In other words.... just buy it then bring her out to the driveway to show it to her.
My wife knew I was looking for a Vette, but didn't know I had made arrangements to pick one up until I asked her if she minded driving me to the dealer to pick it up.

She wasn't too impressed at first. But after her first ride in it, I know she enjoys the car; even texts me sometimes before she leaves work asking if I want to go for a drive that afternoon.

The following users liked this post:
iski (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I rather liked my 07 Z06, (my 6th Vette) but it was not a Vert. My wife knows I like Verts.

In the beginning of 15 model year she said to me when are you going to get a new Vette? I know you like Verts and after the Charlie Foxtrot you had with the DBS issue in your 05 you said you would never buy a first year car again, the 15s are out. Tried to find a Vette up here but the wait would have been very long with local dealers. Went to Kerbecks and got it quick!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 498 Posts

Simple conversation if you have the money and have all your bills up to date. Tough conversation to have if money is tight and bills are piling up. There were a few years I couldn’t afford a Vette so I didn’t have one. When i bought my 15z my wife said “you work hard and have earned it, go and buy it”. My wife is not a fan of modern corvettes but she sees how much i enjoy it so she is happy for me. Been married 20 years, its always a work in progress. Like the op that bought the wife a horse, you need to also let them do what they enjoy. It really is a give and take.

Last edited by Basil2000; 03-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

In our house, we talk over all major purchases. Cars and houses are major purchases. In 2013, my wife said she wanted a new house. She has MS and the old house presented a problem for her to get around. So, reluctantly I agreed. The result was we spent around $70K to $80K to sell the old house and buy the new house. So in 2015, I reminded her how much we spent on the new house and that trading the C5 for a C7 wouldn't cost nearly as much. She reluctantly agreed.
As for our marriage, I lived the single life for 33 years. No way would I give up what I have now to go back to the single life. With the right woman, marriage is like Heaven. With the wrong woman (and I came very close before I married) it's like hell. Just sayin'
Old 03-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

I said "Hey, look what I just bought. Leaving in the morning to go pick it up."
Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ebvert
I live by this rule. It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Whereas I'm still married to my first wife...

I don't know if I just got lucky but we talk over major purchases like cars I don't think we've ever had an argument about it. I've never overreached, she's never pushed back. I've got 10 cars so I must be doing something right!

Last edited by davepl; 03-18-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:48 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Well said..Truly words to Live By For Sure
Well said!!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:14 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bpjon65
Took a Vette to Carlisle to sell a few years ago. Once it was sold I purchased a newer one. When I got home the wife said I thought you were only going to sell a car. My response to her was how the hell did you think I was going to get home ? That ended that.

this thread has some of the funniest stuff i've ever read.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1
First wife said no, so I divorced her. Second wife said no so I divorced her...no third wife, but I’m now a proud owner of a vette. Girlfriend loves it so i’ll Keep her around.
The following 2 users liked this post by robert miller:
chefcg1 (03-18-2018), obwahn (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am one of the lucky ones as my wife is as big of a car nut as I am. That may explain why we're coming up on year 42 together. She was always a Corvette fan so when the time was right we bought our first one in 1985. It was an 82 CE with 2700 miles on it. We've had a Vette in the garage ever since. We now have a 2006 conv. and a 2017 Z06 coupe. She wanted a new DD so I let her pick. Her choice? A 2017 Charger Hellcat. No argument from me.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:20 PM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, Here's my story on how I was able to get my C7 Z51 2LT WGG. This quest has been something I have always wanted and dreamed of owning. Now I've always had a sports car since the day we met and we've been married 37 years now. I started out with several Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 6.6 back in 1978 and yes one was Black like the Bandit. Well I said that I was looking at a Corvette and I was told "No" you have a Classic Firebird Formula 350 with a custom built engine and transmission and NO Rust. Well I had been looking at C7's since 2014 when that first came out and I had found several that I really liked but never pulled the trigger on as and never found the one I really wanted. Now my wife said you really don't need a sports car! you have 2 trucks, a Tahoe and a Black Diamond Avalanche plus the Formula 350. She did say that if you get rid of the Formula we could think about it and she knew I loved that ride and I wouldn't ever sell it. So here's what I did and it was a shock to her. Our son also loved that car and since he has utterly impressed the heck out of both of us (new house with 4 car garage, has a great job (Deputy Sheriff) 2 awesome kids (grandkids) and a nice wife) I ended up giving him the Formula!. Now she didn't see that coming and said that I just pulled a fast one on her, but she was so impressed that I would give him that car she said ok if you find something you like go get it before I say "No" Well last summer I found the C7 2LT Z51 in Watkins Glen Grey and it had everything on it I wanted except PDR (not needed)
Yes she loves the car and even enjoys riding in it and has made a few friends with people in the Corvette club we joined

Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 PM
8APORSH
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I wanted a new vette I told my wife I wouldn’t drive my current one. For 2 months, I didn’t drive it. She finally came to me and said fine, go get what you want. 1 Z51 3LT later and I’m a happy camper.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
If you need to ask permission, you need a divorce. I feel bad for anybody who lives in a world where their wife controls their wallet.
It's not that some women control their husbands wallet. I have enough respect for my bride of 41 years to include her in decisions that involve this much money. She has never denied me any car I have wanted, but I would never consider spending thousands of dollar without her having knowledge of it before the fact. If a man can't respect his wife enough to do this then he won't have that wife very long IMHO.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (03-18-2018), obwahn (03-19-2018), owc6 (03-18-2018), Tally Ho (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Vandy
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve been retired now for 4 years and sold my last corvette (of 6) just before retiring.

Last New Years Day my wife noticed I was getting somewhat bored with Retirement and ask if I wanted another corvette. I told her I wasn’t sure. A few minutes later she let me know she did an internet search of Corvettes available at 2 local Corvette dealers. She asked what color(s), models, Manual or Auto, and specs I liked. Being somewhat conservative and cautious about financial decisions I wasn’t ready to make any decisions about another Corvette.

The next day we (she) decided we should drive to the dealers to take a look at their Corvettes. Once sitting in a Corvette I remembered how much I enjoyed them. She encouraged me to get exactly one I wanted not just what they had in stock. The PASSION for them quickly came to life. Two hours later I drove home with another new Corvete (Admiral Blue Grand Sport LT2, 8A, and performance data recorder).

Life is always better with a Corvette in the garage!! Ready to hit the road again.

It’s interesting that she knew exactly what I needed BEFORE I did. What a Spectacular LADY!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Vandy:
obwahn (03-19-2018), Rebel Yell (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by c5c6c7
I was speaking to a friend and we both had similar stories about breaking the news of our ZR1 purchases to our wives....my friend told his wife he didn't want to wait until he was geriatric to buy his ZR1. He had to buy her a horse and he was in. I told my wife "I think my time on earth is coming to an end and I don't want to die without having a new ZR1 first". My wife thought it was a massive waste of money and stated "we could buy a nice horse instead". Coincidence or Conspiracy women and horses???
My wife has always been supportive of my need for Vettes. Of course, if I get one, she needs to have her own as well. That's probably why we've owned 21 over 42 years.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandy
I’ve been retired now for 4 years and sold my last corvette (of 6) just before retiring.

Last New Years Day my wife noticed I was getting somewhat bored with Retirement and ask if I wanted another corvette. I told her I wasn’t sure. A few minutes later she let me know she did an internet search of Corvettes available at 2 local Corvette dealers. She asked what color(s), models, Manual or Auto, and specs I liked. Being somewhat conservative and cautious about financial decisions I wasn’t ready to make any decisions about another Corvette.

The next day we (she) decided we should drive to the dealers to take a look at their Corvettes. Once sitting in a Corvette I remembered how much I enjoyed them. She encouraged me to get exactly one I wanted not just what they had in stock. The PASSION for them quickly came to life. Two hours later I drove home with another new Corvete (Admiral Blue Grand Sport LT2, 8A, and performance data recorder).

Life is always better with a Corvette in the garage!! Ready to hit the road again.

It’s interesting that she knew exactly what I needed BEFORE I did. What a Spectacular LADY!!

She's a keeper!

Get notified of new replies

To How to break the news to your wife that you're buying a new Vette?

Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57

this thread has some of the funniest stuff i've ever read.
I know I'm glad I posted it!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:06 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by c5c6c7
I know I'm glad I posted it!!!
Me too, sounds like there are some real sad sacks out there.....
Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Me too, sounds like there are some real sad sacks out there.....
True...but they are sad sacks who ultimately got a vette.

Quick Reply: How to break the news to your wife that you're buying a new Vette?