Nail in tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo
I do not want any scratch on my rims
I suggest you bring up that exact concern with whomever you talk to. Make it clear you are willing to go elsewhere if they don't feel like they can get this done without damage to the wheel finish.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Consider yourself lucky. By the way, unless you watched them buffing the inner liner of the tire then you don't actually know if its damaged or not. You just know if it holds air or not.
I watched! They even loaned me a pair of safety glasses.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Flo
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you think Chevrolet do this repair with mushroom type plug? I can see my local dealership.

Last edited by Flo; 03-19-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
I watched! They even loaned me a pair of safety glasses.
If your willing to watch and you know what your looking at then patching from the inside is as good as plugging it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

If your willing to watch and you know what your looking at then patching from the inside is as good as plugging it.
I just wanted a patch but they insisted on the patch/plug. I worked at a tire shop when I was a kid. The wooden wheels were much tougher not to mention split rim truck tires.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo
Do you think Chevrolet do this repair with mushroom type plug? I can see my local dealership.
Most likely not. If they have this machine then it's okay. More than likely they will just try to sell you a new tire.

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balance...SAAEgLjhfD_BwE

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 03-19-2018 at 07:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flo (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flo
Dealers usually don't have the latest tire machines and don't have nearly the experience. They will also try to sell you a tire. Go down and talk to the Discount Tires guys. The only thing I worry about is proper jacking. Ask them if they have jacking pucks.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I recently picked up a screw in one of my rear Z51 tires. I've plugged several tires before, but these were a serious PITA. Not sure if it's the thickness of the steel belting or what, but it took me quite a while to file the hole enough to allow the plug to be inserted.

It's been about 2.5 weeks so far, and no leak. $8 Slime plug kit at Wally World, along with a round bastard file I had in the tool box and about 30 minutes of work.
Flo (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Flo
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

Dealers usually don't have the latest tire machines and don't have nearly the experience. They will also try to sell you a tire. Go down and talk to the Discount Tires guys. The only thing I worry about is proper jacking. Ask them if they have jacking pucks.
To avoid damage under the car?

Last edited by Flo; 03-19-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I used this kit on my 2014 Z51 Stingray and it held full air till I traded it in on my 2017 Z06. I would not hesitate to use it again if I got a nail in the tire again. As long as the nail is somewhere near the middle of the tire and not the sidewall you are all set for this kit. It is very very easy to use. Just check your DIC to make sure your tire is holding the air after you plug it. Good luck.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 03-19-2018 at 07:25 PM.
robertbruce (03-23-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flo
To avoid damage under the car?
"Xactly! The plastic body panels extend below the jacking points. Very easy to crack and very difficult to repair once cracked. They are probably already familiar with Corvettes but doesn't hurt to double check. Take a look in your owners manual to show you where the jacking points are. Each one has a little oval hole in it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JNess
I recently picked up a screw in one of my rear Z51 tires. I've plugged several tires before, but these were a serious PITA. Not sure if it's the thickness of the steel belting or what, but it took me quite a while to file the hole enough to allow the plug to be inserted.

It's been about 2.5 weeks so far, and no leak. $8 Slime plug kit at Wally World, along with a round bastard file I had in the tool box and about 30 minutes of work.
Discount Tire will plug/patch 'em for free! Disclaimer: I don't work for Discount Tire and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo
I had my dealer repair mine it had a nail in it. They patched it no issues, damage, etc. Of course I have a dealer that knows what they are doing. Not sure about yours.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I just wanted a patch but they insisted on the patch/plug. I worked at a tire shop when I was a kid. The wooden wheels were much tougher not to mention split rim truck tires.
Yeah something has to fill in the hole so normally they put a plug in it, then cut it off inside, buff accordingly and glue a patch inside. Same thing almost with those mushroom looking plug/patch repairs.
Thank god no split rim truck wheels are on the road anymore. We used to have a steel cage to inflate tires mounted on those type wheels but about once a month or so kaboom !
You could just see employee moral disappear whenever a truck with split rims came in ... not good, even the counter guy was a little freaked out.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Yeah something has to fill in the hole so normally they put a plug in it, then cut it off inside, buff accordingly and glue a patch inside. Same thing almost with those mushroom looking plug/patch repairs.
Thank god no split rim truck wheels are on the road anymore. We used to have a steel cage to inflate tires mounted on those type wheels but about once a month or so kaboom !
You could just see employee moral disappear whenever a truck with split rims came in ... not good, even the counter guy was a little freaked out.
Cage! We don't need no stinkin' cage. I started fixin' split rims when I was 13 and didn't see a cage 'til I was in the army.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

DynaPlug

^^
Worth every penny. This plugged three holes in my OEM tires with no leaks for over a year. They didn't see track duty so no need for new tires.

My first attempt was to take it to a local Pep Boys that mounted the tires on my other car with no problems, but after they wouldn't listen to me about using the proper lift points for fear of cracking a rocker panel I drove away from there as fast as the fun flat (with a slow leak) would allow.

Last edited by mdiiulio; 03-19-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Cage! We don't need no stinkin' cage. I started fixin' split rims when I was 13 and didn't see a cage 'til I was in the army.
You are a brave man.

I've seem farmers and other old timers just loop a chain around through the center of the assembly and bolt two links together, but I was happy to have the cage available for me. I was told that when a typical truck tire with 100 psi (which is typical) comes off a split rim, it does so with enough force to blow a 16 pd bowling ball 1/2 mile, or a 3 thousand pound car 15 feet off the ground. Sort of explains why they were so dangerous.

Get notified of new replies

To Nail in tire

Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
DynaPlug

^^
Worth every penny. This plugged three holes in my OEM tires with no leaks for over a year. They didn't see track duty so no need for new tires.

My first attempt was to take it to a local Pep Boys that mounted the tires on my other car with no problems, but after they wouldn't listen to me about using the proper lift points for fear of cracking a rocker panel I drove away from there as fast as the fun flat (with a slow leak) would allow.
I have one (actualy two) of those. Very cool. One in the C7 and a little one for the motorcycle.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

You are a brave man.

I've seem farmers and other old timers just loop a chain around through the center of the assembly and bolt two links together, but I was happy to have the cage available for me. I was told that when a typical truck tire with 100 psi (which is typical) comes off a split rim, it does so with enough force to blow a 16 pd bowling ball 1/2 mile, or a 3 thousand pound car 15 feet off the ground. Sort of explains why they were so dangerous.
Stupid (lucky) kid.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Discount Tire will plug/patch 'em for free! Disclaimer: I don't work for Discount Tire and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
It wasn't holding air, and was in my garage. I didn't want to risk the structural integrity of the run flat, and was suffering from the sunday hangover lazies, so I didn't want to pull the tire and take it to Discount. lol

I've plugged them in the past, but never on a tire this difficult. I might have to look for that cool kit that was posted.

Quick Reply: Nail in tire