Sponsored by:

After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by wst1101

Thank you, my finance company have received the electric version title. What does MSO mean?
Virginia will issue either an electronic or paper title. The title is sent to the lien holder. If you get the title number from them you should be able to go to dmvnow.com and order replacement Va tags if that’s what you need. I wonder of think you could get the Ca tags using the same title number to transfer it to Ca.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:54 AM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I believe this is a tax issue.

The OP said he gave them two addresses. The one where he lives, and the one on his drivers licence, which he has not changed even though he has lived somewhere else for 3 years (illegal).

He also quoted the dealer when he challenged them with talking to an attorney (false information) who asked if he told his attorney about the two addresses.

I'm guessing the dealer calculated sales tax based on one address, and in the end found out the car would be registered somewhere else with a higher tax rate and needs to be made whole.

I don't think the dealer is trying to swindle anyone, just be made whole for sales tax paid to the state. I think the OP needs to pay.

I could be totally off base, but this is how i read the original post.

Last edited by GM'er; 03-21-2018 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GM'er:
Frosty (03-23-2018), Mike481 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by GM'er

The OP said he gave them two addresses. The one where he lives, and the one on his drivers licence, which he has not changed even though he has lived somewhere else for 3 years (illegal).

He also quoted the dealer when he challenged them with talking to an attorney (false information) who asked if he told his attorney about the two addresses.

I'm guessing the dealer calculated sales tax based on one address, and in the end found out the car would be registered somewhere else with a higher tax rate and needs to be made whole.

I don't think the dealer is trying to swindle anyone, just be made whole for sales tax paid to the state. I think the OP needs to pay.

It's pretty rare for me to side with a dealer, but the more I read of this thread, the more I've thought along those same lines. If the dealer miscalculated the tax owed, which is plausible given both the multiple addresses and the fact its a state they likely don't work with frequently, then the dealer miscalculation doesn't excuse OP from still owing the full amount of the tax. This isn't like the dealer just deciding to up their doc fees or something.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Mike481
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The taxes in California are based on county and city. Taxes in parts of the LA area are as high as 9.5% and as low as 8% in other counties (Riverside, San Bernardino, etc.). If the dealership did the paperwork based off the wrong address than the amount could easily be off. Even a 1% difference on a 65K car would be around $650 (I shouldn't try math this early).
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 AM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

OP, maybe to put yourself at ease you could calculate the tax difference between the different addresses that the dealer had you residing at. If it equals the amount they say you owe, then there is your answer. I had the opposite happen, out of state dealer calculated too much tax. They immediately sent me a check upon obtaining the title for the vehicle. Due to the time (2 months) I'd lean towards the problem being a tax issue vs they suddenly realized they needed more money for the vehicle.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

They don't call them Stealerships for nothing. If it is anything but a sales tax, or registration issue - I would not pay. If it is something related to the Gooberment taxes/DMV, pay'em.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Been following this "cluster f#$%" with interest, and just to get this straight, this is a used 201X, C7, Yellow Z51, 3LT, that probably was originally titled in Virginia(?) and the dealer insisted on doing the tag & title transferring to California from their end, rather than just selling the car to you and let you do the tag/title transferring??

Dealing with a DMV in one state is difficult enough, but having to deal with two of them and throwing a dealership in the middle of all this...
You have my deepest sympathy...

Last edited by monicatomokc; 03-21-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Send a certified letter (return receipt requested) demanding the plate and registration pursuant to the purchase agreement, then turn everything over to an attorney, or go register it yourself and buy your own plate and sue for those costs. Litigation isn't for everyone but I would sue just to upset my counter parties. Plus this issue is probably very clear once you read the purchase agreement, and as long as you are on the proper side of it, then they will just settle because that's what their legal counsel will tell them to do.
Just some food for thought here. Getting an attorney can be useful, but one in this case can cost you more than you owe after just one day of attorney fees(unless one will take the case for pay upon winning). In my experience of working with attorney's tells me it would be near impossible to fine one that will do that in this case. That's the "over the barrel" I was talking about in my first post. It's a tough situation the dealer has put you in, and with them holding your registration and tags they've got you between that old rock and a hard spot. I hope it comes out in your favor.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not give them two address, I told them my current address, they send the documents to the address on my driver license by themselves. I have been living irvine for three years, so the tax is same for two address. I didn't live somewhere else.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by m3incorp
OP, maybe to put yourself at ease you could calculate the tax difference between the different addresses that the dealer had you residing at. If it equals the amount they say you owe, then there is your answer. I had the opposite happen, out of state dealer calculated too much tax. They immediately sent me a check upon obtaining the title for the vehicle. Due to the time (2 months) I'd lean towards the problem being a tax issue vs they suddenly realized they needed more money for the vehicle.
Hi, I have been only living in irvine, the tax should be same. And I only told them one address which is my current. If they put the wrong address on, it still not my fault I think.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Just some food for thought here. Getting an attorney can be useful, but one in this case can cost you more than you owe after just one day of attorney fees(unless one will take the case for pay upon winning). In my experience of working with attorney's tells me it would be near impossible to fine one that will do that in this case. That's the "over the barrel" I was talking about in my first post. It's a tough situation the dealer has put you in, and with them holding your registration and tags they've got you between that old rock and a hard spot. I hope it comes out in your favor.
I agree in principal.
Legal entanglements can be a real hassle. Mostly because you are almost never awarded attorney fees, also because if the defendant is someone who has an oversize presence in the area, then its hard to even find a firm that wont conflict out.
Knowing all this, I would still pay whatever I had to pay in order to get my registration and plates directly from the dmv, then sue for those costs, plus fees and expenses afterwards, but id rather spend the money than let someone screw me over and get away with it.
Each to their own, that's how I roll.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I agree in principal.
Legal entanglements can be a real hassle. Mostly because you are almost never awarded attorney fees, also because if the defendant is someone who has an oversize presence in the area, then its hard to even find a firm that wont conflict out.
Knowing all this, I would still pay whatever I had to pay in order to get my registration and plates directly from the dmv, then sue for those costs, plus fees and expenses afterwards, but id rather spend the money than let someone screw me over and get away with it.
Each to their own, that's how I roll.
I get it my friend. Sometimes you just got to let it out.
PatternDayTrader (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

I have contacted the Dealer and they will soon resopond.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I have contacted the Dealer and they will soon resopond.
And who are you exactly ?
Are you representing the original poster in this matter ?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
C5Driver
Racer

And who are you exactly ?
Are you representing the original poster in this matter ?
Bla Bla Bla Bla Blaaa Less talk and more action to help someone is usually the best course in these matters.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Bla Bla Bla Bla Blaaa Less talk and more action to help someone is usually the best course in these matters.
That's a weird answer.
Maybe I should rephrase my question; is it going to be you updating this situation ?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 PM
C5Driver
Racer

That's a weird answer.
Maybe I should rephrase my question; is it going to be you updating this situation ?
Im guessing the Dealer now understands the situation and will now work it out with the customer as they should.

Get notified of new replies

To After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help

Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM
wst1101
Advanced

My thoughts: The contract is based on the agreements on both sides, the tax, license fee were listed in the contract. And I did pay that amount, so I have met my obligation. I purchased car because I was satisfied with the "out door price" which consists of the price of the car and tags. If the amount was what I paid +700 dollars, then I would not buy it. If I have to pay the tax by myself and all tags were not listed in the contract, I will pay whatever I am supposed to pay. But the dealer told me they would handle all the paperwork and collect the tax, then I don't think I should pay beyond the amount in the contract, otherwise what is the point of the contract? As for the address part, I honestly only gave one address to them but I don't know why they keep using the address on my driver license, which I did not tell them to do so.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

This who deal sounds very strange, sorry I don't have anything to add other than good luck.
wst1101 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

It should be VERY easy to determine what all the taxes/fees are without a problem. You should be able to tell if you owe anything else. did they send you a itemized statement defining the shortfall?

Quick Reply: After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help