Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help

Old 03-22-2018, 08:47 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Learn to think less with your head and more from your heart. Having a heart to heart conversation even with a total stranger or a regular acquaintance for that matter will prove surprisingly beneficial in business and social situations. It builds immense trust in a short time.
I think that's probably very good advice when dealing with folks of a similar mindset.
The problem is you can never really know who appreciates that sort of approach.
Some people don't valued being well liked as much as they value being right, and so they tend to be very suspicious of those who don't make carefully calculated decisions.
Regardless of all that, it seems the op has benefitted from your intervention, and that can only be a good thing.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:24 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I think that's probably very good advice when dealing with folks of a similar mindset.
The problem is you can never really know who appreciates that sort of approach.
Some people don't valued being well liked as much as they value being right, and so they tend to be very suspicious of those who don't make carefully calculated decisions.
Regardless of all that, it seems the op has benefitted from your intervention, and that can only be a good thing.
Thats the risk I mention.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I called the dealer and told him to look at this of a thread thread and work it out with his customer.
If that is all you did, I applaud you. You probably also did the dealer a favor.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:34 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS44 View Post
If it's not a state secret, what exactly did you do/say that cleared it all up?
I called the dealer and told him to look at this of a thread thread and work it out with his customer.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but figured that's what you did.
WTG, C5!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:41 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mchar
I was thinking of doing the same thing but figured that's what you did.
WTG, C5!
Truly sometimes just making someone aware of a situation in the making is all it takes.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I live in Texas, but I bought my last Corvette in Oklahoma. I paid the dealer the money for the car and he gave me the bill of sale and other documents required to register the car. I handled the tax, title and license in Texas myself. It seemed like a clean way to do it and I had the car registered almost immediately. Dealers dealing with out of state entities may not be sure of what they are getting into and my make mistakes as it sounds like this one did.
The following users liked this post:
Coasterbuilder (03-25-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
I believe this is a tax issue.

The OP said he gave them two addresses. The one where he lives, and the one on his drivers licence, which he has not changed even though he has lived somewhere else for 3 years (illegal).

He also quoted the dealer when he challenged them with talking to an attorney (false information) who asked if he told his attorney about the two addresses.

I'm guessing the dealer calculated sales tax based on one address, and in the end found out the car would be registered somewhere else with a higher tax rate and needs to be made whole.

I don't think the dealer is trying to swindle anyone, just be made whole for sales tax paid to the state. I think the OP needs to pay.

I could be totally off base, but this is how i read the original post.
I haven't gotten through this whole thread, but I concur with this assessment. My courtesy delivery dealership in FL collected UP FRONT, several hundred dollars more than what I knew to be necessary to pay for taxes and registration in FL. It was stated that this was to make sure they were not out any money in the title and registration process. Once the title, plates and registration was received from the DMV they sent me an accounting of where the money went and a refund check for the overage collected. Sounds like your dealer for whatever reason did not collect enough, As long as they can document the reason, then you have no choice but to pay it and put this behind you.

Last edited by Frosty; 03-25-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by wst1101
They said they paid 5000 for the tags, so I owe them 700, I paid 4300 for tags and 700 for dealer process fee. I think they are playing little trick here, put that amount as dealer fee and ask the same amount later. I paid what listed on the contract anyway.
always be suspicious of round even numbers. Ask them for documentation of where the money went
Old 03-25-2018, 03:03 AM
Rayrider7
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I live in Texas, but I bought my last Corvette in Oklahoma. I paid the dealer the money for the car and he gave me the bill of sale and other documents required to register the car. I handled the tax, title and license in Texas myself. It seemed like a clean way to do it and I had the car registered almost immediately. Dealers dealing with out of state entities may not be sure of what they are getting into and my make mistakes as it sounds like this one did.
I did the same. I live in Seattle but bought my car in Nebraska. Just took my documents into the DMV by my house and paid tax & license when I registered the car in my name and transferred the title. No "approximate" taxes,fees etc. collected by any third party
Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I am not screwing myself... I paid the amount they put on the contract, I don't think I am supposed to pay beyond it.
There is a term called errors and omissions. Every car contract includes this. It basically states that if either of the above occurs you owe the difference. If they made a math error or omitted a cost you will have to pay it. If on the other hand they just want a higher price for the car you can tell them to pound sand!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

They said they paid 5000 for the tags, so I owe them 700, I paid 4300 for tags and 700 for dealer process fee. I think they are playing little trick here, put that amount as dealer fee and ask the same amount later. I paid what listed on the contract anyway.
It’s quite simple. If the tags cost 5000 and you paid them 4300 you owe them 700. The dealer process fee is irrelevant.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:28 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
I haven't gotten through this whole thread, but I concur with this assessment.
The OP posted in thread #71 that the issue was resolved. Their error......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help