Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Is he trying to extort you for more money, or it is an honest mistake?

If buying out of state, tax, title, and state fees are usually approximate. Because moste dealer are oblivious to other state fees. Go through your paperwork. It should state exactly what you paid for the car, dealer fees, tax, etc. This could be honest mistake. They could have miscalculated how much your state charges. Everything should be in your paperworks your signed.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
This is easy.

Look at the sales contract you signed.

See the bottom line?

Did you pay that amount?

If so, you're good to go.
If not, you owe it.

Everything else about addresses, etc, is just noise.

Originally Posted by wst1101
Didn't expect they would ask more money two month later I signed contract. They actually have my plates and registrations in their hand, they just don't ship them to me.
If you have receipts and/or bank records that show you've paid everything stated in the sales contract, tell them they have 72 hours to get you the tracking number for your tags and registration. Tell them that if the tag isn't sent within 72 hours, you'll report the tag stolen. If they don't get you your stuff, call the DMV in your state (the tags are for CA, right?) and tell them the tag was lost or stolen and never delivered to you.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:37 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X

If you have receipts and/or bank records that show you've paid everything stated in the sales contract, tell them they have 72 hours to get you the tracking number for your tags and registration. Tell them that if the tag isn't sent within 72 hours, you'll report the tag stolen. If they don't get you your stuff, call the DMV in your state (the tags are for CA, right?) and tell them the tag was lost or stolen and never delivered to you.
Why would you give them 72 hours????? 24 hours is more than enough time for a DEALER to fedx docs.................
Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Rosenthal Land Rove Land rover dealer in Tysons Corner, Virginia
Avoid them.
I'm laffing. You are dealing with an "umbrella" company that owns both new and used car dealerships. This is ALSO the company accused of money laundering gang drug money in exchange for selling cars and boosting their numbers.

You also didn't answer the question from Kent: "...Are they claiming that the terms and/or amounts in the contract are in error? If it's a simple mathematical error, and neither of you caught it, then I would pay it. ... "

Any other questions have really been answered above. Good luck. Next time be a bit more careful beyond the color and options of a car.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Just wondering if the dollar discrepancy could be due to different tax rates at different areas of the state. There can be a 2% difference in California sales tax depending on the city and counties where the car needs to be registered.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Just wondering if the dollar discrepancy could be due to different tax rates at different areas of the state. There can be a 2% difference in California sales tax depending on the city and counties where the car needs to be registered.
VA dealership is not going to collect CA tax. OP will owe CA all of it (wherever it might be).
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=z edge;1596823754]I don't understand why you buy a car in VA if you live in CA, but anyway, not my business i suppose.

Tell the dealer to go **** themselves[/QUOTE

Well it was the only yellow z51 3lt I could find
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwoVettes6916
Wow, I thought I had a big search area - 7 states, but from CA to VA, that's pretty impressive.

Regarding addresses - how did they get three addresses? You only need to give them one address - the one where you want the car to be registered. Sales tax and everything else should be associated with that address. If you are financing the car, then the loan company will be the lien holder and will hold the title until you pay off the loan for the car.

As another poster mentioned, look at the contract that you signed. If you have paid the amount reflected in the contract, then you have met your obligation. Also check with the loan company to see if they have received the title. If these two items have been met, then call the financial officer at the dealership and tell him/her that there is no reason for you to pay any additional money.

If, for some reason the dealership has not sent title information to the loan company, call the dealership and ask why not.

It is a shame you are running into these problems. As you said, this is your dream car (as it is for everyone on this forum). Best of luck in getting this issue taken care of.

I did only give them my current address but the address on my driver license is different, I told them only ship documents to my current address but they messed up three times... I paid the amount on the contract and my finance company got the title.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
VA dealership is not going to collect CA tax. OP will owe CA all of it (wherever it might be).
Well, the dealer said they do the paperwork like tax, license. And every single terms were listed on the contract. The tax has been paid to CA DMV. I don't think I owe anyone.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
It depends on the city the car is going to be registered. But I only gave them one address, I have been living in the same city for three years so I don't think thats the reason.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'm laffing. You are dealing with an "umbrella" company that owns both new and used car dealerships. This is ALSO the company accused of money laundering gang drug money in exchange for selling cars and boosting their numbers.

You also didn't answer the question from Kent: "...Are they claiming that the terms and/or amounts in the contract are in error? If it's a simple mathematical error, and neither of you caught it, then I would pay it. ... "

Any other questions have really been answered above. Good luck. Next time be a bit more careful beyond the color and options of a car.
All the amount were listed on the contract, It's not like they miscalculate 1+2=3, they are just asking more money, they said they charged less than they need.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Be honest.
Don't screw anyone, but don't screw yourself either, if you owe the money then pay it, and if not then don't.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Be honest.
Don't screw anyone, but don't screw yourself either, if you owe the money then pay it, and if not then don't.
I am not screwing myself... I paid the amount they put on the contract, I don't think I am supposed to pay beyond it.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I am not screwing myself... I paid the amount they put on the contract, I don't think I am supposed to pay beyond it.
Good.
If they are just trying to peel you for extra money and holding the title hostage, then I would sue without hesitation. I would name the company and its principals in the suit.
I would also file a complaint with the states attorney generals office because that's free.
I would do all this because I would win, and you will too if what you are saying is true.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 PM
wst1101
Advanced

They actually is having my registration and license plates in hand, they just don't ship it to me
Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

They actually is having my registration and license plates in hand, they just don't ship it to me
Send a certified letter (return receipt requested) demanding the plate and registration pursuant to the purchase agreement, then turn everything over to an attorney, or go register it yourself and buy your own plate and sue for those costs. Litigation isn't for everyone but I would sue just to upset my counter parties. Plus this issue is probably very clear once you read the purchase agreement, and as long as you are on the proper side of it, then they will just settle because that's what their legal counsel will tell them to do.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Why would the California DMV send your plates to the dealer in VA? They should have sent them to you?

Contact the DMV and say you never received them? Have them send the replacments to your address since the taxes were paid?

Get notified of new replies

To After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help

Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

You paid $5000 which included a $700 dealer processing fee? All I can say is, boy did you buy from the wrong stealership!

Last edited by Maxie2U; 03-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
You paid $5000 which included a $700 dealer processing fee? All I can say is, boy did you buy from the wrong stealership!
Yep, learned my lesson now
Old 03-20-2018, 10:52 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Why would the California DMV send your plates to the dealer in VA? They should have sent them to you?

Contact the DMV and say you never received them? Have them send the replacments to your address since the taxes were paid?
I don't know, its really wired....The tags should be mailed to me instead of them by CA DM. I have not received anything.

Quick Reply: After driving the car for a month, the dealer ask me more money! Need some help