Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
It won't do that!!

The TPMS only pays attention to the transmissions received from the four tire pressure sensors that are logged into the TPMS module. Each tire pressure sensor has a unique ID# that is part of the data stream transmitted by the sensor. If the ID# in a transmission from a sensor doesn't match one of the four ID#'s logged into your TPMS module memory, your TPMS will not pay any attention to it.

You can park next to numerous other C7 Vettes, but all of the transmissions from the other cars will be not be recognized by your car - they will be completely disregarded, and your TPMS will only pay attention to transmissions from the four sensors in your wheels/tires.

Another thing to consider is that when the wheels aren't turning for about 15 minutes, the sensors will go into a sleep mode to save their internal batteries.

After the car has been sitting overnight, the TPMS "remembers" the last known pressure from the previous evening. That's so that when you begin driving you shouldn't have the problem you're having - you should have the last known pressure displayed for a couple minutes until you've driven faster than 20 mph for a minute or two in order to wake up the sensors out of the sleep mode and get them into the drive mode, at which time they will start transmitting the current pressures.

Additionally, the 433MHz frequency that our sensors transmit on really is only a very little part of why they work in our cars. There are dozens of different sensors that transmit on 433MHz, but they all transmit different bits of info in the data stream they transmit out into the air. But only a TPMS that is programmed to receive the specific data stream transmitted by a specific model of sensor will be recognized by our TPMS module.

The C6 had a TPMS change mid-stream. The 2005-2009 C6 had one model of TPMS, and for the 2010-2013 C6 they changed the TPMS so that it required a different tire pressure sensor. All the C6 sensors transmitted on 315MHZ (well, the U.S. car sensors did; there was a different TPMS in the cars built for European delivery that required 433MHz sensors), but just because they all transmitted on 315MHz didn't mean they would work in all model year C6 Vettes - you needed one part# sensor for the early C6, and a different part# for the later years.

As I mentioned in my previous post, our C7 Vettes require either part# 13581560 or 13598775

Both sensors work with our C7 TPMS. The 13598775 part# is the one you will need to give your dealership parts department - it's the current part#.

However, the earlier 13581560 part# may be found cheaper on eBay, Amazon, or elsewhere for cheaper and will work exactly the same as the other sensor.

Bottom line - our C7 Vette sensors transmit on 433MHz, but out of all the dozens of sensors that transmit on that frequency, only ones with one of the GM part#'s above will work with our C7 Vette TPMS module.

It has more to do with range and them being programmed into your TPMS module.

Since the module can auto learn, it actually can overwrite any sensor ID data. However to accurately know which sensor is located on each corner the antennas which receive the data are placed near the wheels and are set to ignore anything but the strongest signal.

Really if they over boosted the antennas your car COULD pick up cars next to you, but it's designed specifically to not do that. It's extremely short range, we are talking inches, not feet.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
^^^^
BEZ06 - that is interesting. Being the type of person that always wants to figure things out I did some research. It seems my second set of wheels came with aftermarket TPMS sensors and the tire shop "cloned" them to match my factory ones with a special tool.
Yes - there are sensors that can be programmed to be clones of any other sensors. A tire shop can simply maintain an inventory of that one type of sensor that they can program for any car, so they don't need to stock hundreds of different sensors.

They trigger each sensor in your car's wheels and copy each of the data transmissions. Then they program the cloneable sensors so they will transmit the same data stream as your original sensors.

I guess that's okay, but I much prefer to have the sensors that are built to work with our TPMS.

If you swap your wheels with those clone sensors onto different sides of the car, I'm not sure they will send their proper side of the car to the TPMS - i.e., if your display of pressures says the Left Front pressure is low, it may actually be talking about the Right Front.

Our OE sensors have a centrifugal sensor inside that recognizes the direction of rotation of the wheel, and that's how they know which side of the car they are on so they can report that to the TPMS so the DIC display will be correct. I'm not sure your clones have that centrifugal sensor, but I may be wrong.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
It has more to do with range and them being programmed into your TPMS module.

Since the module can auto learn, it actually can overwrite any sensor ID data. However to accurately know which sensor is located on each corner the antennas which receive the data are placed near the wheels and are set to ignore anything but the strongest signal.

Really if they over boosted the antennas your car COULD pick up cars next to you, but it's designed specifically to not do that. It's extremely short range, we are talking inches, not feet.
The sensors need to be in the drive mode in order for them to be logged into the TPMS memory module, so if they've been sitting still for more than about 20 minutes and go into the sleep mode they won't properly transmit the signal required to do the log-in procedure.

Additionally, our OE sensors have centrifugal sensors inside them. Those sensors detect the direction of rotation of the wheel, and that info is used by the TPMS to determine which side of the car the sensor is on.

So....the wheel needs to be turning to wake the sensor up and get it into the drive mode to transmit the drive mode signal to the TPMS. And the wheel also must be turning in order for the centrifugal sensor to tell which side of the car the wheel is on.

Take a look at a page from the Service Manual I posted in another thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595318692

Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

The sensors need to be in the drive mode in order for them to be logged into the TPMS memory module, so if they've been sitting still for more than about 20 minutes and go into the sleep mode they won't properly transmit the signal required to do the log-in procedure.

Additionally, our OE sensors have centrifugal sensors inside them. Those sensors detect the direction of rotation of the wheel, and that info is used by the TPMS to determine which side of the car the sensor is on.

So....the wheel needs to be turning to wake the sensor up and get it into the drive mode to transmit the drive mode signal to the TPMS. And the wheel also must be turning in order for the centrifugal sensor to tell which side of the car the wheel is on.

Z06s must be different. My '16 Z reads the correct pressure before moving from the garage. Let's say I get home from some "spirited" driving & the pressures were at 30 when I left & at 35 when I park in the garage. When it is 40 degrees in the garage next morning, before moving out of the garage all four tires now read 30 again since cooling down overnite. I make it a habit to check almost each time before moving out of garage because I plugged frt. right tire 2 months ago & am OCD so I don't wait to see if I get a "low pressure" warning, I look to see if that tire is same as others before hitting the road to see if the plug is still holding air & I could remedy it while at the house. Bottom line, on my Z there is no sleep mode or reason to "wake them" before I can read the pressure at that moment not when I parked last nite.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by madrob2020
...Bottom line, on my Z there is no sleep mode or reason to "wake them" before I can read the pressure at that moment not when I parked last nite.
All C7 Vettes are the same.

Like the info on the page from the Service Manual says, when the sensor is in the sleep mode it samples pressure every 30 seconds, but doesn't transmit at all if pressure doesn't change - and that's to extend the life of the sensor's internal battery.

So, when your sensor detects changes every hour or so during the night it will transmit that new pressure to the TPMS.

Those pressures are stored in a non-volatile memory, so that even if you disconnect the battery, when it's connected back up those last known pressures will be displayed until they are updated by new transmissions from the sensors when the wheels rotate and the sensors go into the drive mode.

When I have a set of street wheels/tires on the car and they're displaying 30+ psi, and I swap on a set of track tires with 26 psi, the DIC displays the last "remembered" pressures of the street tires until I drive a few miles. I display the tire pressures on the DIC, and after a couple minutes of driving I can see the 26 psi pressure start popping up on the display.

So, when you start up your car the next day the last known pressure will be displayed on your DIC until you've driven a short distance and the sensors go into the drive mode and begin to transmit on a regular basis - that's so you won't have dashes displayed for a minute or two when you first start driving.

The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (03-25-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

While you are right, you missed my point about range entirely.

If cars were driving next to each other and the range was bigger you'd pick up other cars. The range is retarded so that does not happen.

That's my point, and its simple. The rest of the information is just noise.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:24 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

I found TPMS's tire pressure to be about 1psi less than the actual pressure (used 2 tire gauges) Do you guys find that also?

This is the cheapest I can find, 23 bucks with nut! Pretty good deal I say
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Where and how are they date coded for the battery?
I can get them at a local dealer for about 46 bucks each and that will allow me to inspect date first, I hear its a crap shoot if you order online....you could get one that's been on the shelf for 3 - 4 years....
Thanks for the info above....great to know!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
TPMS is the same on all model years, and they do not need to be reset. When I took delivery of my 18 in mid-Feb, I put on the winter set I had on my '14, and they were instantly read.

I've been switching wheel sets back and forth for 2 years now, without having to do anything to the TPMS sensors.
- I switch between my black wheels (for driving) and my chrome rims (for shows) and I've never had to reset / reprogram my TPMS and I bought my chrome wheels/tire/TPMS setup from another forum member, so they were never on my car before, and they just worked.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019GSTX
Where and how are they date coded for the battery?
I can get them at a local dealer for about 46 bucks each and that will allow me to inspect date first, I hear its a crap shoot if you order online....you could get one that's been on the shelf for 3 - 4 years....
Thanks for the info above....great to know!
I heard you don't want to change the battery in TPMS and just get new ones, is that right have you guys heard that as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by okaythen
I heard you don't want to change the battery in TPMS and just get new ones, is that right have you guys heard that as well.
Correct.
There are people who have managed to install new batteries, but they don't always work properly and it's time consuming.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Correct.
There are people who have managed to install new batteries, but they don't always work properly and it's time consuming.
That is because the sensors are designed without replaceable batteries.

Bill
Old 12-18-2018, 11:47 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

thanx for the info/ I was told that I needed to reset mine on my 2005 Z51 each winter tire champ over.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Correct.
I replaced the batteries in my tpms on my 05. I was able to get the batteries for free, and I already had a programming tool when I bought a new sensor and had to replace it. Some soldering skills, patience and time and they worked like a champ. I hate throwing things away without at least trying to rebuild/reuse them, so it was a no brainer to start digging out the epoxy with a hot soldering iron, and then unsoldering and soldering in the new battery. I figured I didn't have anything to lose.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by orca1946
thanx for the info/ I was told that I needed to reset mine on my 2005 Z51 each winter tire champ over.
On the C5 and C6, you definitely need to reprogram after changing wheels/sensors.
On the C7, the reprogramming can be done in seconds with an electronic tool, or you can just drive the car a short distance and things will automatically reprogram. Something like 1/4 mile above 35 mph.
Spring Mountain uses the electronic tool so that the car is immediately ready to rock when it next goes onto the track.

Quick Reply: Are all years of C7 TPMS identical?