Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is black that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:15 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

If you hate washing your car or wiping it down, then it's not the color for you. I don't mind cleaning my car, and wiping it down about every other day or so. I do a lot of laundry but to me it's worth it. I really like the C7 in black.

I've had a C7 daily driven for over a year and constantly cleaning it still doesn't bother me. But I'm a bit nutty.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

“... that bad?”

I had, and have black vehicles, and they definitely take more time to maintain than lighter color finishes. If you have any inkling of OCD, then yes, otherwise, no. Nonetheless, it’s hard to argue that there is a better looking color when clean.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:21 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I told myself I would never have a black car again but just in love with what I did with this one. Robert

Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I know it sounds like OCD but I clean my black Corvette after every drive. It's actually cathartic for me.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Droop2313
So I’ve never owned a black vehicle but I think there one of the sharpest looking color when clean. For those that have a black c7 are they that bad to keep clean?

If course not. I have had black cars for decades. They're just like any other car. Try keeping a white car clean. Both clean up just fine. If you drive on a gritty wet road, any car will get dirty. I can't take people who rant about this seriously.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

I wouldn't let this affect what color car I choose. If you like black then get black. Truth be told, they all look dirty after a week of normal driving.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

I bought a black Z past November which is in hibernation right now. Professional Ceramic coating is top on my list (and ppf) as soon as I pull it out this spring.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

I really like my black Corvette and with my California Duster and dustless brake pads, I can keep it acceptably clean with daily maintenance.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 AM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Droop2313
So I’ve never owned a black vehicle but I think there one of the sharpest looking color when clean. For those that have a black c7 are they that bad to keep clean?
Droop2313, I agree with you that black is beautiful when clean. When I had a black Mini Cooper S I never had an issue with black. That all changed with my black Cadillac Escalade ESV. Washing and keeping clean the Mini Cooper was never a chore. Washing and keeping clean the much larger Escalade is ALWAYS a chore and shows dust shortly after a cleaning. I LOVE black when it's clean but because I hate dusty black cars that are mine, I don't think I'll ever get another black vehicle again.

My son and I were recently on a trip to Colorado and just east of Denver on the horizon I could tell there was a super sweet car coming our direction. Turned out to be a black Ferarri 458 or something like that (I don't know my Ferarri's). Long before I could see what it was I knew it was a special car because of how stealthy it appeared even at the distance I first noticed it. I think the black made its profile look much stealthier, and I'd be interested to see if I would have had the same perception if the Ferarri was a white or a red. I think there is something special about black, but not for me right now. Having had other black cars I can certainly appreciate other peoples' black cars.

Black is one of those colors that looks great when clean but takes significant effort to keep a black car looking nice. If you think you like black and are considering the purchase of a black car try to imagine the amount of time you'll spend cleaning it and see if that fits into your life's schedule. Who knows, maybe you're retired and have a lot of spare time on your hand. Maybe you like black and don't mind a little dust on your black car. If this is the case, then go for it. I'll appreciate the heck out of any and all photos you can post of it. If this is not the case, then you might want to reconsider your choice in color. To each his own.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
If course not. I have had black cars for decades. They're just like any other car. Try keeping a white car clean [...] any car will get dirty. I can't take people who rant about this seriously.
[/LEFT]
Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I wouldn't let this affect what color car I choose. If you like black then get black. Truth be told, they all look dirty after a week of normal driving.
So you're telling me you wash a silver car and black car on Monday morning and then they're driven all week and on Friday it's all the same to you? Even if it's drizzled a bit?

I can't take people who can't tell that difference seriously.

Last edited by davepl; 03-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

^^^ Obviously the former’s opinion is in the minority. There is no “legitimate” disputing that black vehicles require more maintenance. I currently have black and white vehicles, and there is no question which require more attention for similar results. It’s rediculous to “rant” otherwise.
The following 2 users liked this post by sTz:
DWS44 (03-21-2018), Woodson (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
My black German Shepherd says black is not bad, it is excellent and it is a VERY fast color
Not a fan of black cars because of the upkeep but that dog is awesome!!
Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
If course not. I have had black cars for decades. They're just like any other car. Try keeping a white car clean. Both clean up just fine. If you drive on a gritty wet road, any car will get dirty. I can't take people who rant about this seriously.
[/LEFT]
White car is the easiest car I have ever had to keep clean (currently have one). Love it on a larger car. Had one black car. To much work. But they look great.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 03-21-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

One and done for me and it has been along time a Brand New 1999 Mercury Mountaineer back in 1999. However Black is beautiful if you want a full time job as a detailer it looks spectacular!

Old 03-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
black on a car...it's not a color, it's a career choice!

I put in my time on two black vehicles over the years...one a 2002 Firehawk that I did a lot of shows with. For me, that falls on the list of things I'm glad I did, but wouldn't want to do again.
A black car is beautiful for the first day after it's cleaned. I've owned ONE black car........One

However, get the color that you want. You'll be happier with the car.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-21-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a black F150 and a black caddy. Black does look awesome when clean but in the sunlight i could see every single hairline scratch. It was always hotter in the sun too.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I've had a few black cars, including a black C6.

I will NEVER own another black car again in my life.

Ever.

Did I mention never ever?

Get notified of new replies

To Is black that bad?

Old 03-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
I've had a few black cars, including a black C6.

I will NEVER own another black car again in my life.

Ever.

Did I mention never ever?
had a black c6 and I turned into a professional detailer and the swirls drove me nuts. might be better if you do the Suntek for the hood /front end which I did with my c7 laguna blue. No black for me ever again

Last edited by Ted P; 03-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Triple black for me please. I've had other colors and though they are great to look at, especially the metallic blends when the sun is shining, I love the look of all black in my sports cars. Are they 'more' work to keep clean? What's the standard? Car show clean? YES! No debate. If you stress over every spec of pollen or road dust, you can forget black. It will be a miserable experience for you.

But, I like to drive my cars every opportunity I get and to see a little dust on the surface doesn't phase me in the least. Its a reminder of the good times I've had in the car and I look forward to making more memories in it. Every trip I take in my Corvettes is another adventure in the making so I have a different view on what the 'dirt' means.

I wash my vehicles once a week, regardless of their level of 'dirtiness'. Its part of my routine and the C7 gets its bath the same day. No stressing what so ever.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Black is one of the BEST looking colors on any car, especially a Corvette!

I previously owned a triple black Camaro SS convertible and loved how it looked when clean. Seldom drove it, because I loved how it looked clean... never again! Last 'Vette and the new one both Arctic White!

Black is not a color choice, it is a lifestyle commitment...

Allen

Quick Reply: Is black that bad?