Grand Sport-Daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Bigfoot16
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Where do you live?
I live in Southern Indiana. We don't get much snow like the northern part of the state. I also work from home if necessary, so snowy days would not be an issue.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Bigfoot16
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy346
Here's a different perspective for you: Mine is not a daily driver, and I could not see driving it every day. I am tall with long legs, so getting in and out is a bit awkward. Once I'm in, its very comfortable. Visibility also isn't that great for me since the roof line is low. I have to lean forward to see the traffic lights if I'm the first one in line. It's also not very fun to drive in heavy traffic where I have to change lanes frequently, or in the city where I have to park next to curbs or constantly check my blind spot. The wide track and tiny rear windows limit blind spot visibility and make it hard to accurately judge where the wheels are.

If I was buying a daily driver, I would probably go the BMW M route for better visibility, head room, and ingress / egress.

This is not in any way a criticism of the Corvette. I love mine for what I use it for, and I wouldn't have any other car. I have a Silverado for family outings, and general utility, and a Prius as a daily beater. However, my physical dimensions and geographical location make the Corvette impractical for daily use.

Thanks for the reply. All good points. I'm 6'4", not overly tall but I also have long legs and really big feet, thus the name. I can identify with the getting in and out issue.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:54 AM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm 6'5" 270 lbs and I daily drive my Z51. I bought the car last November; 4 months, 11,000 miles. I'm in PA and there were at least 4 weeks in that 4 months I didn't drive it. I have a Suburban for anything the vette can't do.

In the 18 months I owned my last vette, a C6, I put on 35,000 miles.

And there are now AW tires available for the GS; there weren't last year.

Last edited by DPC57; 03-22-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Bigfoot16
Instructor

Originally Posted by DPC57
I'm 6'5" 270 lbs and I daily drive my Z51. I bought the car last November; 4 months, 11,000 miles. I'm in PA and there were at least 4 weeks in that 4 months I didn't drive it. I have a Suburban for anything the vette can't do.

In the 18 months I owned my last vette, a C6, I put on 35,000 miles.

And there are now AW tires available for the GS; there weren't last year.
Very cool,, thanks for the reply.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfoot16
Hello all. I've had several Corvettes over the years and have never used one as a daily driver. Just now getting my new GS and I am thinking why not?

Are there many out there that use their Vette as a daily driver?

Thanks in advance..
I do

Regards
Chip
The following users liked this post:
Bigfoot16 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Now I do

When I got it end of 2016 I used to be careful where I was going so Id drive my old Expedition when I was doing my photoshoots or knew parking would be less than ideal. I finally got over the Corvette Forum **** Paranoia and started driving it every chance I get. Damn - I paid a lot for the car and it needs to be driven and I love every minute in it. Sorry everyone - But I never thought about Orange Peel and Wrapping my car in plastic to protect it before I joined this forum. I don't measure the panel gaps on my car and have never done that with any car. I was driving yesterday and noticed that 99% of the cars I saw had Orange Peel. No idea which version of the plant the cars were produced at and which version of the paint shops they were painted in. Almost every day someone stops me or approaches me to say how beautiful my car is. They are not measuring panel gaps and searching for imperfections from driving the car. Perspective is good here. Yesterday I read of someone who was devastated that they dinged the front of their prized Corvette. Drive em like you stole em!!!!
Bigfoot16 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:16 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

This is a common question here and I would say it depends on your lifestyle and the sort of activities you participate in. As an example, I work from home so any daily driving I do is not a commute to work but for a specific reason.

Frequently I take my dog out into the mountains of CO for hikes. The "roads" to the trailhead are often gravel or dirt with heavy washboarding. I wouldn't put my dog in my grand sport and it wouldn't survive those roads. Sometimes I run to a nursery and pick up bags of composted manure for the greenhouse. While I could fit a few bags and make several fun trips with the GS, I'm not going to do that. Sometimes people come to visit and I'll pick them up from the airport. If it is more than one person...

I think you get the idea. I drive the Vette as often as possible in the summer. If I could get all season run flats I'd take it out more in cold temps. I still wouldn't drive it if there was salt on icy roads but that is a personal decision.

But that's just my personal situation. If someone lived in a warm climate and their activities were more like "drive to work and back", "stop at the grocery store", "meet friends for dinner" then hell yeah, daily drive.
Bigfoot16 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I think it makes a -great- second car, and I daily drive mine in the summer when it's nice out. But I'd be hard pressed to recommend a Vette as your first, only, or even primary car.

Now if you live in SoCal or something you're probably fine. But in North Dakota you'll be making payments from October through May while it sits in a garage, so it depends a lot on how and where this daily driving will take place.
Bigfoot16 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I live in Northern Virginia and daily drive mine. No problems as long as the weather is good. I spent a lot of $$ on this car and plan to use it as much as I want. Got some track days coming up too. The C7 GS is an amazing car that's absolutely meant to be driven. I have a Toyota Tundra for the days I won't drive the GS due to snow and ice.

Last edited by SLOWRYDE; 03-22-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Bigfoot16 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

I live in Southern Indiana. We don't get much snow like the northern part of the state. I also work from home if necessary, so snowy days would not be an issue.
Then there is no reason not to imo.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Unless you want to be happy everyday, I would suggest against it.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM
lewmel
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Vegas!
I drive my 17 GS everyday!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The better DD in terms of utility would have been either the Stingray, or the Z51 option.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:51 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The better DD in terms of utility would have been either the Stingray, or the Z51 option.
Why? Other than maybe the aero on the rocker panel if you had it, what makes the GS worse than the Strngray as a daily driver?

It's a bit wider to park, I guess, but same motor and trans and everything else...

Last edited by davepl; 03-22-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

In a warmer climate I see no reason not to drive it every day. In the snow belt states its going to have to go on a shelf for 4 months im afraid. No way this car is viable in snow and ice as a daily driver.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Thanks for the reply. All good points. I'm 6'4", not overly tall but I also have long legs and really big feet, thus the name. I can identify with the getting in and out issue.
I've had three Corvette daily drivers in a row - '03 Coupe, '08 Coupe (84,000 miles in 10 years), and now my '16 Z06.

While there would be more convenient vehicles for ingress/egress, I thoroughly enjoy driving these cars and wouldn't trade it for something more convenient but less fun to drive, even when it's raining a lot. If you think it's "challenging" getting in and out, try getting your wheelchair in/out several times a day - not the least inconvenient for me since it's just routine and worth the extra effort! Several wheelchair users I know choose to drive a van for convenience - I just couldn't do it myself.

I've had my Z06 15 months and am just rolling up to 15,000 miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by AaronZ51:
bigblock427 (03-22-2018), Bigfoot16 (04-07-2018), cowboy casey (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I've had three Corvette daily drivers in a row - '03 Coupe, '08 Coupe (84,000 miles in 10 years), and now my '16 Z06.

While there would be more convenient vehicles for ingress/egress, I thoroughly enjoy driving these cars and wouldn't trade it for something more convenient but less fun to drive, even when it's raining a lot. If you think it's "challenging" getting in and out, try getting your wheelchair in/out several times a day - not the least inconvenient for me since it's just routine and worth the extra effort! Several wheelchair users I know choose to drive a van for convenience - I just couldn't do it myself.

I've had my Z06 15 months and am just rolling up to 15,000 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport-Daily driver?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be fine after it gets rained on the first time. The weird part it is, the car has been waiting for me since Monday to be picked up but I was waiting for a nice day. I have some adjusting to do.
I dodged rain clouds for the first couple of months. Then got caught in monsoon between Bowling Green and Nashville and it was finally baptized. I still watch the weather to some extent. I know it's just a car, but I have a beater car for the daily 60 mile grind. GS is used for track, cruising, coffee and cars, and running to the beer store!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

I see the Corvette as a mass produced sports car with a Chevy engine. You should ride it hard and hang it up wet at the end of the day. It will look back at you and say, "Is that all you got".
Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
I see the Corvette as a mass produced sports car with a Chevy engine. You should ride it hard and hang it up wet at the end of the day. It will look back at you and say, "Is that all you got".
Life is too short to buy a nice car like a z06 then drive a POS as a daily (weather permitting). I live in south florida and I can get a corolla or camry as a daily driver and let the z06 sit in the garage but id feel miserable leaving it there and going anywhere in the camry thinking why I am driving this instead of that if I own BOTH. If I had a wife and kids, or lived somewhere up north then it would have been a different story but im glad I can pull it off.
Bigfoot16 (04-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Grand Sport-Daily driver?