Sponsored by:

Block it noise reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Block it noise reduction

Just recieved the block it kit for my 16 Z51. Really heavy, thick, fits well and looks good. Too cold and snowy to evaluate on the road but I’ll post feedback after my next ride. Only negative is that you must lift up the whole driver side rear corner to get access to the small storage compartment.I’m considering a little surgery to make a lift out section to give easy access but this is not a big deal. Lastly, I ordered the combo kit that includes some rolled up thinner sound deadening material that can be cut and patched around the drive tunnel behind the seats. I’m not sure the effort to install this will be worth the result so I am holding off-using it for the time being.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I did the same kit as you.

I took an unsophisticated data collection by using a decibel reading app on my phone and taking a short ride. Then installed the block it and took the same ride. It was a few decibels lower, but not much..... I don't recall the exact numbers as it was a year ago. Not as much improvement as I would have liked. I only wanted the road noise to get better. I like hearing the exhaust !
The following users liked this post:
rocker (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Strake

I took an unsophisticated data collection by using a decibel reading app on my phone and taking a short ride. Then installed the block it and took the same ride. It was a few decibels lower, but not much..... I don't recall the exact numbers as it was a year ago. Not as much improvement as I would have liked. I only wanted the road noise to get better. I like hearing the exhaust !
Thanks for that feedback. Did you get/install the thinner vinyl sheet material on the tunnel and if yes , how big an effort and do you think it helped.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I bought the Block-It with the back mat and 2 pieces behind the seats when I had a C6, and now it's in my C7.
And agree it's not a night and day difference, but IMO, easy to install and does take the edge off noise.
Installing a complete sound insulating kit is really the only way to make a big difference reducing noise.
I wasn't interested in taking out the interior to do that and happy with the Block-It for what it does.
YMMV
TKO Performance (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 PM
gavinvr4
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Had the same kit install in the C7, honestly not that big of a differences on noise reduction. There's a guy from Florida on this forum that is selling the completed insulation kit for $350, and just have any stereo shop to do the install such as your local BestBuy.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:16 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The decibel scale is not linear, so "a few" numbers different can mean a lot.

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB.
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Strake (03-23-2018), TKO Performance (03-23-2018), walleyejack (03-25-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:39 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
I bought the Block-It with the back mat and 2 pieces behind the seats when I had a C6, and now it's in my C7.
And agree it's not a night and day difference, but IMO, easy to install and does take the edge off noise.
Installing a complete sound insulating kit is really the only way to make a big difference reducing noise.
I wasn't interested in taking out the interior to do that and happy with the Block-It for what it does.
YMMV
I did likewise. Had to do a little trimming on the C6 style to get a good fit in the C7. Not a huge difference but enough to notice. Tire noise seems to be the major culprit.
The following 2 users liked this post by NashvilleGrandSport:
Dif (03-23-2018), Jerrymannal (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jerrymannal

Thanks for that feedback. Did you get/install the thinner vinyl sheet material on the tunnel and if yes , how big an effort and do you think it helped.
YES, I did get the thinner material for behind the seat area. It was easy to install and certainly helped the overall noise level.

I did not do any type install that required removing the seats.
Jerrymannal (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

totally!!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:13 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Just recieved the block it kit for my 16 Z51. Really heavy, thick, fits well and looks good. Too cold and snowy to evaluate on the road but I’ll post feedback after my next ride. Only negative is that you must lift up the whole driver side rear corner to get access to the small storage compartment.I’m considering a little surgery to make a lift out section to give easy access but this is not a big deal. Lastly, I ordered the combo kit that includes some rolled up thinner sound deadening material that can be cut and patched around the drive tunnel behind the seats. I’m not sure the effort to install this will be worth the result so I am holding off-using it for the time being.
No doubt you should be happy with the results.
I won't list them here in this thread (its long), but here is a link in which you can see a large amount the forum members positive comments (scroll down in the #1st post)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-s-and-h.html

We tell people, so they know that this will not turn the car into a Cadillac. But its a very quick yet effective way to take the edge off interior noise while not adding 50-100lb's of permanent weight and it still lets that sweet exhaust note come through when you get on it.

As for decibel readings with a phone and an app... even though the results are good, the problem is when using a phone you can short change the decibel number you receive for the noise reduction/ DB drop.
Some Iphones have built in high pass filters with a roll off of around 24 db/octave below 250 hz . This means that the measurements you’re getting from an Iphone will be highly inaccurate at these low frequencies. They will not incorporate well into the overall sound levels.

The overall level is dominated by frequencies that the iphone will not pick up. Even iphones without high pass filters still have issues when getting a true reading when using these apps.
This is why people experience more noise reduction to their actual ears.

Regarding the extra DeadMat pieces you purchased for under the carpet behind the seat will absolutely help reduce even more noise within the cockpit. If you have any questions feel free to contact us! Take care

Last edited by TKO Performance; 03-23-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Based on positive online reviews, I dropped in a set of Block It sound mats (cargo area plus one behind each seat) in my C7 Stingray coupe, and using the Decibel X Pro app, measured 2 - 5 dB lower noise level, which is noticeable. Almost as importantly was cutting down the reverberations from the cargo area floor and attenuating the sharp noises generated by road joints and seams...
While it is can never be “Cadillac quiet”, the 'Vette is now about as quiet as my '11 Mustang GT 5.0, my previous "touring" car...The Block It mats are a simple partial solution to reducing cabin noise. I recommended them for their ease of application and ability to reduce cabin noise spikes.
TKO Performance (03-23-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

OK did a gas fill up ride yesterday with wife, 2 dogs and new block it sound package in place. About 30 miles total. Inside noise reduction was significant to both of us (first ride for the dogs-they seemed happy). We could talk at a normal level, and listen to music without blasting the volume. Even better, engine and exhaust sounds semed to sound better probably because the unwanted sounds weren’t overpowering the wanted sounds. I must admit that I was impressed and surprised that $200+ and 2 minutes of install effort with no disassembly, drilling or sweating etc would result in this much noise reduction. For me, cabin noise is now fully acceptable and I’ll now focus on other areas to improve on a car that becomes more awesome with every passing mile.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Vonfido
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 45 Posts

I took the block It stuff from my C6 and installed it in my C7 - It did reduce the overall noise but on So Cal freeways it still wasn't enough of a reduction for me. Last week I purchased the Exotic Vette Double Extreme insulation kit from Dan at Exotic Vettes and installed that along with some dynamat for the doors - WOW WOW WOW -- The car is like a brand new Grand Touring car now - Road noise so reduced and the entire car seems so much more solid - Exhaust sounds just as loud when you get on it and easier to hands free talk and also converse with a passenger. I wrapped the subwoofer also and now the stereo sounds much better.

Last edited by Vonfido; 03-26-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: more accurate experience
Old 03-25-2018, 02:21 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

OK did a gas fill up ride yesterday with wife, 2 dogs and new block it sound package in place. About 30 miles total. Inside noise reduction was significant to both of us (first ride for the dogs-they seemed happy). We could talk at a normal level, and listen to music without blasting the volume. Even better, engine and exhaust sounds semed to sound better probably because the unwanted sounds weren’t overpowering the wanted sounds. I must admit that I was impressed and surprised that $200+ and 2 minutes of install effort with no disassembly, drilling or sweating etc would result in this much noise reduction. For me, cabin noise is now fully acceptable and I’ll now focus on other areas to improve on a car that becomes more awesome with every passing mile.
Tremendous to hear!

Its doing exactly what its designed to do. Quiet down and take the edge off interior noise. Makes it comfortable so you can use your blue tooth, have a conversation. Illiminates road noise fatigue.
All in less then 60 seconds! . No installer. No extra money and you did not add 100 lbs of permanent weight to the car!
Thank your for your bsuiness, the positive post and for taking the time to post it!

Originally Posted by Vonfido
I took the block It stuff from my C6 and installed it in my C7 - It did very little if anything for me. Last week I purchased the Exotic Vette Double Extreme insulation kit from Dan at Exotic Vettes and installed that along with some dynamat for the doors - WOW WOW WOW -- The car is like a brand new Grand Touring car now - Road noise so reduced and the entire car seems so much more solid - Exhaust sounds just as loud when you get on it and easier to hands free talk and also converse with a passenger. I wrapped the subwoofer also and now the stereo sounds much better.
Yes that could work. It should. But not everyone wants to possibly take their car to someone only to rip apart the interior to add a significantly amount of permanent weight.
Its not for everyone which is why the Blockit is just another choice.

So you cut up your old C6 Shaped Blockit to fit your C7? Yeah I could see how it would not fit perfect and allow noise to bleed through. However whats more important, your old C6 Blockit (forget the fact you cut it up) can't compare to the new improved C7 Blockits with even more barrier for even better performance. Its why the OP and many others experience real good results..
Old 03-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Originally Posted by TKO Performance
Tremendous to hear!

Its doing exactly what its designed to do. Quiet down and take the edge off interior noise. Makes it comfortable so you can use your blue tooth, have a conversation. Illiminates road noise fatigue.
All in less then 60 seconds! . No installer. No extra money and you did not add 100 lbs of permanent weight to the car!
Thank your for your bsuiness, the positive post and for taking the time to post it!

Yes that could work. It should. But not everyone wants to possibly take their car to someone only to rip apart the interior to add a significantly amount of permanent weight.
Its not for everyone which is why the Blockit is just another choice.

So you cut up your old C6 Shaped Blockit to fit your C7? Yeah I could see how it would not fit perfect and allow noise to bleed through. However whats more important, your old C6 Blockit (forget the fact you cut it up) can't compare to the new improved C7 Blockits with even more barrier for even better performance. Its why the OP and many others experience real good results..
The Block It was actually bigger in the C6 so I just trimmed tad off - I had the Block It behind my seats, also. Nothing wrong with Block IT - simple easy fast install but the Exotic Vette insulation Kit does a superior job cutting out tire and road noise. Just trying to give a very honest review. also the weight gain was no more than 50 lbs - my wife and I lost 90 lbs this year and I cant tell the difference with the added insulation weight
Old 03-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

The Block It was actually bigger in the C6 so I just trimmed tad off - I had the Block It behind my seats, also. Nothing wrong with Block IT - simple easy fast install but the Exotic Vette insulation Kit does a superior job cutting out tire and road noise. Just trying to give a very honest review. also the weight gain was no more than 50 lbs - my wife and I lost 90 lbs this year and I cant tell the difference with the added insulation weight
Hope the moderator won’t mind but could you enlighten us overweight forum members what you guys did to lose that much weight . I need that kind of help
Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Hope the moderator won’t mind but could you enlighten us overweight forum members what you guys did to lose that much weight . I need that kind of help
Joined Weight watchers january of last year and I was 210 lbs when I joined and got down to under 170 lbs before may of same year - trying to put on about 5 more pounds of muscle currently - my wife was down to her goal of 155 within about 6 months of joining - it was easy and its easy to maintain now. Highly recommend it.
Jerrymannal (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:04 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

The Block It was actually bigger in the C6 so I just trimmed tad off - I had the Block It behind my seats, also.
Exactly what I did. Trimmed it to fit the C7 rear cargo area, put the two sheets behind the seats too.

I bought it used for my C6 and decided to just keep it for the new C7 and make it work.

Get notified of new replies

To Block it noise reduction

Quick Reply: Block it noise reduction