Sponsored by:

Neighbor complaining my Vettes are too noisy

Old 03-26-2018, 03:17 PM
13gt500
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

get a set of header open them up ;;;;ask him if he can hear you now
The following 2 users liked this post by 13gt500:
Corvette ED (03-26-2018), Racergirl2012 (07-31-2021)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 PM
john512
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a total snowflake to me.
As long as you aren't purposely revving the engine then the neighbor needs to get a life.
Who cares what his situation is. Not your problem. You can't be expected to only drive your car at certain times so it won't wake someone up.

Sounds like a jerk neighbor my friend had. The guy said he liked to nap at 5-6pm so he didn't want my friend's kids shooting baskets IN THEIR OWN DRIVEWAY at that time.

Some people....
The following users liked this post:
Racergirl2012 (07-31-2021)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I have to ask, do you even own a Corvette? My 14 is stock, no mods. My 71 has chambered exhaust, certainly not loud. Why would I invite the LEOs to my home to check my exhaust systems? I am a 68-year-old professional. I don't sit in my driveway revving my cars like some teenager. I move them when I must and drive away to work, in the 14, and a car show or two, each month, in the 71. I have driven in front of and next to county sheriffs many times without being pulled over for noise. Most of the time the LEOs give me a thumbs up.
You've done nothing wrong.

This is clearly a case of your neighbor demanding consideration, yet giving none.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

If you are within current noise ordinance guidelines at your property line, your neighbor's complaints are groundless. At that point, he is appealing to your sense of propriety and circumstance as a neighbor. You can either recognize that appeal and modify your actions accordingly --- or you can just walk away and do what you want.

FWIW --- it doesn't sound like your neighbor is interested in appealing to your sense of propriety and circumstance as a neighbor. It sounds like he just wants to intimidate and shout you into submission.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 03-26-2018 at 03:41 PM.
woodsguy (03-29-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:42 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I have to ask, do you even own a Corvette? My 14 is stock, no mods. My 71 has chambered exhaust, certainly not loud. Why would I invite the LEOs to my home to check my exhaust systems? I am a 68-year-old professional. I don't sit in my driveway revving my cars like some teenager. I move them when I must and drive away to work, in the 14, and a car show or two, each month, in the 71. I have driven in front of and next to county sheriffs many times without being pulled over for noise. Most of the time the LEOs give me a thumbs up.
damn man you are dense. The world does not revolve around you. I have no idea what your 71 Vette has. Long tube headers, straight pipes, you never mentioned this. How do I know that your vehicle is within acceptable legal limits within your community? What, cause a cop once gave you a thumbs up once that’s supposed to mean something.? Do you know whether your vehicles exhaust are local ordinance compliant? If I were your neighbor I would file a compliant with local law enforcement. It’s their responsibility to see if your vehicle is in compliance with local ordinance or not. What don’t you understand about the law? It’s little petty squabbles like what you and your neighbor are having that can turn into violence. This happens all across the country.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:43 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if you want I can get a few guys to drive their off-shore boats by with open headers,just give me the address
Racergirl2012 (07-31-2021)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 PM
geraldschumann
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Doesn’t freedom of speech include volume? Neighbors can be tough but there are better non confrontational ways to handle it. Not everything is a federal issue.

I have my motorcycles and Corvette in my garage with a workbench for my RC cars with a 32inch TV above the bench. About a month ago I was leaving for breakfast just after 8am when I heard an eldery lady yelling. I quickly rolled down my window to communicate.

She was yelling at me for leaving with the TV on! “Are you gonna drive off and leave that TV on all day?” She said! (Sound was off)

It takes a village...

Last edited by geraldschumann; 03-26-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:48 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

damn man you are dense. The world does not revolve around you. I have no idea what your 71 Vette has. Long tube headers, straight pipes, you never mentioned this. How do I know that your vehicle is within acceptable legal limits within your community? What, cause a cop once gave you a thumbs up once that’s supposed to mean something.? Do you know whether your vehicles exhaust are local ordinance compliant? If I were your neighbor I would file a compliant with local law enforcement. It’s their responsibility to see if your vehicle is in compliance with local ordinance or not. What don’t you understand about the law? It’s little petty squabbles like what you and your neighbor are having that can turn into violence. This happens all across the country.
wait, do you live across the street from SQR? I get it now...

woodsguy (03-29-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

Big difference between CorvetteForums and Mustang6G. This exact situation was posted over there and basically everyone was like “fack your neighbor”. I’m glad we’re more mature over, the majority of us anyways..
Old 03-26-2018, 04:15 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I am having no squabble. I said my piece to the neighbor and consider the matter closed. As for you, I am real glad I don't have you as a neighbor. I'll bet you are a real joy to have next door. I suggest you go and join a protest somewhere that advocates electric cars. I have violated no local ordinances and find your posts tiresome.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 03-26-2018 at 04:24 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by SRQStingray:
Bumpnrun (03-26-2018), Corvette ED (03-26-2018), F4Gary (03-28-2018), jasonsbiz74 (03-26-2018), Kevin A Jones (03-26-2018), Pineapple (03-26-2018), Racergirl2012 (07-31-2021), ricks327 (03-26-2018), Vetteram (03-27-2018), woodsguy (03-29-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:20 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Damn, are you "get off my lawn guy" or what? You must be fun to live with. OP, you did nothing wrong. If this neighbor wanted your cooperation he should have come at you in a more civilized manner. You have every right to start your cars in the morning. Hell, it was after 8AM!
The following 4 users liked this post by VinceBlack:
Corvette ED (03-26-2018), Frosty (03-27-2018), Racergirl2012 (07-31-2021), woodsguy (03-29-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by geraldschumann
Doesn’t freedom of speech include volume?
No. Your property rights stop at your property line. "Freedom of speech" is ONLY about the government, and only the government making laws abridging your freedom of speech in a public forum, i.e.: On public land. This is the proverbial soapbox in a county park. All the rest is a negotiation. Most noise ordinances govern "loud noise" before 7:00am and after 10:00pm and were designed to curb construction noise outside those times. There may be a local noise ordnance involving "disturbing the peace" as well. You can get a ticket for a loud stereo, for example. But most people are willing to tolerate a loud lawn mower, for example, because, well, what else can you do, really? This guy seems a bit over the top, but then, so do some of the reactions.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:01 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I am having no squabble. I said my piece to the neighbor and consider the matter closed. As for you, I am real glad I don't have you as a neighbor. I'll bet you are a real joy to have next door. I suggest you go and join a protest somewhere that advocates electric cars. I have violated no local ordinances and find your posts tiresome.
You have done nothing but state your personal point of view in this post. I prefer to hear both sides of an arguement before I pass judgement. Nobody here has heard your neighbors point of view expressed nor has anyone here heard your vehicles’ exhaust. You could have the loudest vehicle in Florida for all I know. So in the absence of any evidence a wise individual would abstain from passing judgement. Now you can go ahead and listen to all these immature juniors in here sympathizing with your point of view which could very well be on the wrong side of the law. Your car can very well in fact be too loud legally. Fact of the matter is that nothing is resolved and you still are going to see this neighbor of yours from time to time. You can maintain your adversarial relationship with this guy or you can make a new friend. The choice is yours.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

SCREW HIM!!!!

Last edited by VictorBarron; 03-26-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
If your neighbor decides to come out with a Harley at 4 in the morning then you file a compliant with you local PD. Let them handle this and not you. This is how society is designed to operate.
I disagree. Do not involve the police. They have better things to do, and it escalates the situation. I agree with the folks who said find out what his issue is, Mano a Mano, and see if you can address it directly.
The following 3 users liked this post by red62vette:
Frosty (03-27-2018), geraldschumann (03-26-2018), Walt White Coupe (03-27-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mschuyler
No. Your property rights stop at your property line. "Freedom of speech" is ONLY about the government, and only the government making laws abridging your freedom of speech in a public forum, i.e.: On public land. This is the proverbial soapbox in a county park. All the rest is a negotiation. Most noise ordinances govern "loud noise" before 7:00am and after 10:00pm and were designed to curb construction noise outside those times. There may be a local noise ordnance involving "disturbing the peace" as well. You can get a ticket for a loud stereo, for example. But most people are willing to tolerate a loud lawn mower, for example, because, well, what else can you do, really? This guy seems a bit over the top, but then, so do some of the reactions.
For more than 10 years, a Vette w. "open pipes" (likely gutted cats and Magnaflows) used to start up way across the way from me at about 6a-8a. I heard him just about every morning. In a townhouse development, I can imagine what his neighbors thought. He may still be there, but the car appears to have left recently.

Now, I have a very loud "sport bike" and a very loud 6 series BM on my street. All 14 other owners "hear them"---there is no choice. The first one, the cycle, leaves around 8a, and the BM leaves around 6a. Both idle down the street. On start up and idle in driveway, I hear both, it is quite a bit louder. Going down the street, I hear both. It is not pleasant.

I understand neighbors. Like a loud car, any neighbor can make life difficult. I choose not to do so. It may be my right to do whatever I wish, but that is small thinking imo.
The following 3 users liked this post by AORoads:
4thC4at60 (03-27-2018), MMD (03-26-2018), Walt White Coupe (03-27-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm just not sure what the OP can do. Maybe stage the car in the garage the night before so he doesn't have to move the '71 to get to the C7? Make sure he doesn't let it sit there and "warm up" for an inordinate amount of time?

Get notified of new replies

To Neighbor complaining my Vettes are too noisy

Old 03-26-2018, 05:38 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

I said, "Wait until I start the Harley up.".

That pretty much tells me all I need to know....
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
robertbruce (03-27-2018), SRQ Vette (03-27-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Some folks have no idea how long it takes to set up noise monitoring equipment, where it has to be located and what the violating Db level is. Then how long are the LEO's suppose to wait everyday waiting for the OP to possibly start his cars. A waste of public resources, in my opinion, to make a complaint on an occasional event.
OP, your neighbor wouldn't like me either when I start my 67 NCRS Top Flight with OEM side pipes.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The neighbor could've had some leverage had he not mentioned his Harley.

That lets me know that he really doesn't care about the noise as much as says he does. Are you sure he isn't mad about something else and wanted to nitpick something?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neighbor complaining my Vettes are too noisy