Sponsored by:

Loose Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:08 PM
BMF82
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Loose Steering Wheel

I picked up a 2015 Z51 last week with 12K miles on it. I test drove it in Texas and had it shipped to Michigan on a covered trailer. This week I noticed that the alignment is off and the car pulls to the right when the wheel is straight. I understand that can happen during delivery via truck. What worries me is the steering wheel seems loose too. When it’s parked or in drive I can move it up and down ever so slightly. The steering colum is tight and has no movement. Just the steering wheel. It’s still under warranty so I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Any idea what this could be?

Last edited by BMF82; 03-28-2018 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-27-2018, 09:39 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82
I picked up a 2015 Z51 last week with 12K miles on it. I test drove it in Texas and had it shipped to Michigan on a covered trailer. This week I noticed that the alignment is off and the car pulls to the right when the wheel is straight. I understand that can happen during deliver via truck. What worries me is the steering wheel seems loose too. When it’s parked or in drive I can move it up and down ever so slightly. The steering colum is tight and has no movement. Just the steering wheel. It’s still under warranty so I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Any idea what this could be?
Mine also has a slight movement of the wheel which I think is just clearances in the electric column. If the car steers right with the wheel straight, it could just be the crown in the road so you might test it on a different road surface, or drive in a different lane and see if it still goes the same direction.
If it is still off, you may need to check the alignment to make sure they centered the wheel when the toe in was set.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 03-27-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Doesn't sound serious so I wouldn't worry about it. Take it in like you are planning and see what they say. I'm sure its not a big deal.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 03-27-2018 at 10:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
BMF82 (03-28-2018), Rebel Yell (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:04 PM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Mine also has a slight movement of the wheel which I think is just clearances in the electric column. If the car steers right with the wheel straight, it could just be the crown in the road so you might test it on a different road surface, or drive in a different lane and see if it still goes the same direction.
If it is still off, you may need to check the alignment to make sure they centered the wheel when the toe in was set.
Thank you everyone for the replies. As a new Corvette owner it's really nice to have this forum to use as a resource. Here is what happened at the dealer today and maybe this could help some of you as well. I took it in for a transmission flush and software update and MRC update too. Both were done at no cost and here is why. The trans software update resolves a problem with the software and this requires a transmission flush so since the car is under warranty they said there is no cost for either. The other issue with the loose steering wheel is not normal and they want to take the steering column apart and see what might need to be replaced. This will require the car to be kept for 2 days while they tear it down and order the parts - also under warranty. For some reason, they gave me the MRC update at no cost. Not sure why.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I want my cars to stay point straight when I hit the brakes hard. I even test it when no one is around me on an open straight road. At 55mph I release my fingers from the wheel then apply the brakes fairly hard if it pulled left or right (which it doesn’t) I would bring it in for a check and a alignment if necessary.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:26 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

check the nut behind the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
BMF82 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Thank you everyone for the replies. As a new Corvette owner it's really nice to have this forum to use as a resource. Here is what happened at the dealer today and maybe this could help some of you as well. I took it in for a transmission flush and software update and MRC update too. Both were done at no cost and here is why. The trans software update resolves a problem with the software and this requires a transmission flush so since the car is under warranty they said there is no cost for either. The other issue with the loose steering wheel is not normal and they want to take the steering column apart and see what might need to be replaced. This will require the car to be kept for 2 days while they tear it down and order the parts - also under warranty. For some reason, they gave me the MRC update at no cost. Not sure why.
Nice ... Saved a few hundreds on the trans flush for sure.
You might be waiting around more that 2 days if they order parts, but its best to get it all handled now before the weather starts getting good.
The following users liked this post:
BMF82 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Sounds like you've got a great dealer. Welcome to the community
Old 03-28-2018, 10:43 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Customer service. I paid $350 for mine today.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The loose steering wheel could be due to the previous owner. Do you have any pictures of the PO? Large people tend to use the steering wheel to leverage themselves into and out of the car. That eventually leads to a loose steering wheel since it wasn't designed as a human body support.

Is the car pulling to the right or do you need to turn the steering to the right to get it to go straight? There is a difference. A pull will cause the car to turn in the direction of the pull while a thrust angle error will cause the rear wheels to point the thrust to one side or the other. To counteract the thrust angle the front wheels have to be turned the same amount in the same direction. This results in the car going straight down the road but slightly sideways (Dogwalking). Thrust angle problems are resolved by adjusting rear toe so both rear wheels have equal amounts of toe in opposite directions.

Bill
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The loose steering wheel could be due to the previous owner. Do you have any pictures of the PO? Large people tend to use the steering wheel to leverage themselves into and out of the car. That eventually leads to a loose steering wheel since it wasn't designed as a human body support.

Is the car pulling to the right or do you need to turn the steering to the right to get it to go straight? There is a difference. A pull will cause the car to turn in the direction of the pull while a thrust angle error will cause the rear wheels to point the thrust to one side or the other. To counteract the thrust angle the front wheels have to be turned the same amount in the same direction. This results in the car going straight down the road but slightly sideways (Dogwalking). Thrust angle problems are resolved by adjusting rear toe so both rear wheels have equal amounts of toe in opposite directions.

Bill
Bill you read my mind! I do not have a picture of the PO but I assume they were using the steering wheel to get in and out of the car. After further testing I am not longer experiencing an alignment issue. Michigan roads are really bad so after finding a smooth surface I am confident it's okay. Stay tuned on the steering wheel issue. I am taking the car back in a week.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:11 PM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I do not have pictures of the PO, but that is the exact same thing that came to my mind. Very possible the steering wheel was also used as support to get in and out of the car. The PO traded the car in at the dealership after only 12K miles.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM
BMF82
Racer

I do not have pictures of the PO, but that is the exact same thing that came to my mind. Very possible the steering wheel was also used as support to get in and out of the car. The PO traded the car in at the dealership after only 12K miles.
The dealer ended up replacing the steering column and giving the car an alignment. Problem solved. All under warrenty too.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Steering Wheel

Quick Reply: Loose Steering Wheel