C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and run away.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:42 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Lazy Daze

CarFax reports are only an illusion. Our C6 was hit three times in the rear in 15 months. Twice in parking lots once at a stop light. All three reported to the police. All three repairs by a competent mainstream body shop. Who cared less about the CarFax and more about the customer. When we sold the car, the buyer told us he had pulled a CarFax prior and it was clean. And so it goes.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I was under the impression that Carfax got their data from insurance loss history reporting, which is readily available and easily tracked.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:22 AM
CorvetteOJ
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 74 Posts

When my Stingray was 6 months old, with 1600 miles, I was hit in the rear at a red light. We were on our way to a car show, and sitting at a red light in a small town at 5:30am in the rain. We had stopped at least a minute before this young kid in an old Camaro hit us. It only cracked the rear diffuser slightly, but I was POed. Fortunately the kid had good insurance, so we called the Police and filed a report. His insurance paid me $975 for replacing the diffuser. I put another $900 and ordered the CF diffuser with fins, from Weapon X. I already had their side rails and front splitter installed. I paid a custom body shop $300 to install it. As some of you may know, it is a lot harder to install a CF diffuser than a stock diffuser, because the CF has no give and no flex in it.

I said all that to say, at the time, I was only interested in getting my new Stingray back to perfect again. I never thought for a minute about a Car Fax report, or the future value. If I had to do it over, I would do it again, right, wrong, or indifferent, it was the best method for me personally.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:27 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah Carfax is garbage in garbage out. I took my C6 in for a state inspection and a radiator replacement was reported to Carfax....lol.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 AM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Oh dear god, a wall?

A couple of facts for you there Zedge..

85% of people here illegally overstay a VISA and arrive on a AIRPLANE. A wall isn't going to do anything about that.

There is no indication that the person that caused the accident was undocumented. Only that he was a douchebag, that ran.
Absolute BS AND FALSE, are you attempting to serve a political cause.

59% of illegals in the U.S. are from Mexico, view this article:

https://immigration.procon.org/view....ourceID=000845

FROM THE ARTICLE:

Who are the immigrants in the United States illegally? Where do they come from? In which states do they settle? What jobs do they hold?

As of 2012, the population of immigrants in the United States illegally is estimated to be approximately 11.43 million, roughly 3.7% of the entire US population. 59% of the immigrants in the country illegally are from Mexico, and 25% of all immigrants in the country illegally reside in California. 53% of the immigrants in the United States illegally are male. In 2008, approximately 31% of workers in the roofing industry and 27% of maids/housekeepers were immigrants living in the country illegally.
The article below states that of the 11M illegals, 6.2M are from mexico, 723K from guatemala, 465K from el salvador, 337K from honduras, total of the four are 7.725M / 11M = 70%, post up your 15% article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mmigrants.html
The following 6 users liked this post by onebadcad:
40flier (03-31-2018), 449er (03-31-2018), Bumpnrun (03-30-2018), chronage (03-29-2018), UncleFodder (03-30-2018), z edge (03-29-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
This I will agree with. The guy taking off is something that is not right and he needs to face the consequences for doing it. Good luck with this.
If you don't report it maybe the next time the idiot gets in a more serious accident where there are injuries he again will flee the scene. From a 30+ year retired LEO.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:57 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Keep us posted. Sorry for the damage to your car. Suggestion: have someone who knows paint and body go over the rear of your car. There could be (not absolutely certain) damage beneath the surface that will show up. Just checking will give you peace of mind. Good luck.
Im taking it to a body shop today, hope there is no damage beneath it
Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 PM
wst1101
Advanced

I appreciate all the suggestions. I do know that the carfax doesn't show everything and the car will diminish value anyway. My concern is that it SHOW on the carfax, the carfax doesn't show pics. There will only be a description. I assume the accident record will diminish value around 2000-3000 probably? I don't usually keep a car for a long time, I change my car almost every year in order to get more experiences. But at the same time, I want the driver who did hit and run get some punishment he deserved. The officer told me he would find that guy first and listen his explanation, I totally understand that since I only have his license plate and some scratches on my car. He also said whatever the situation was, the guy left without exchanging information was breaking the law. I am going to take the car for a little inspection first today and wait for the officer.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by wst1101
I appreciate all the suggestions. I do know that the carfax doesn't show everything and the car will diminish value anyway. My concern is that it SHOW on the carfax, the carfax doesn't show pics. There will only be a description. I assume the accident record will diminish value around 2000-3000 probably? I don't usually keep a car for a long time, I change my car almost every year in order to get more experiences. But at the same time, I want the driver who did hit and run get some punishment he deserved. The officer told me he would find that guy first and listen his explanation, I totally understand that since I only have his license plate and some scratches on my car. He also said whatever the situation was, the guy left without exchanging information was breaking the law. I am going to take the car for a little inspection first today and wait for the officer.
I'm not 100% certain but I thought that you could avoid the Carfax issue as long as an insurance company is not involved. It seems like someone around here would know the answer to this with absolute certainty.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I'm not 100% certain but I thought that you could avoid the Carfax issue as long as an insurance company is not involved. It seems like someone around here would know the answer to this with absolute certainty.
I heard carfax also collect informations from police report. It won't involve insurance I think, the guy does not have insurance and I won't use insurance to repair it as well.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Sorry that your car was damaged but I hope that it is minor so you can get back to enjoying it. Glad to see that you are ok (that is the most important). Hopefully this guy has some damage on the front of his car that matches the back of your car or he could just say that the damage on your car was not from him (probably why he took off). I hope that doesnt happen to you since people like this who go through life screwing other people over need to pay. Would be ideal if you were able to get a picture of his car and yours together to show the accident and the orientation of the vehicles when you got a picture of his plate. Hope you are able to get this resolved to your satisfaction.
The following users liked this post:
wst1101 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 01:41 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Pics of GF at least.

Maybe pics of damage, too.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6_Racer_X:
onebadcad (03-29-2018), VNAMVET (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 02:11 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Alright, a officer just came. He said it would probably show on the carfax if he wrote a report. I refused and I guess I am going to repair it by myself.

As a retired LEO I suggest you not worry about CarFax, and let the Officer find this guy. The Officer is telling you everything that could happen if he makes a report, and is leaving the decision up to you. They have to do that, or someone will call his/her Supervisor to complain that the "Officer didn't tell me........."

This guy needs to be charged with "Hit and Run property damage", and required to pay for what ever damage is done to your car. Then he needs to pay up as the Judge requires. If he gets off this time, he could do it again in a much more serious accident.

Disclaimer: This is just my humble opinion.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
AORoads (03-29-2018), bimmerborn (03-29-2018), oyealiz (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
As a retired LEO I suggest you not worry about CarFax, and let the Officer find this guy. The Officer is telling you everything that could happen if he makes a report, and is leaving the decision up to you. They have to do that, or someone will call his/her Supervisor to complain that the "Officer didn't tell me........."

This guy needs to be charged with "Hit and Run property damage", and required to pay for what ever damage is done to your car. Then he needs to pay up as the Judge requires. If he gets off this time, he could do it again in a much more serious accident.

Yes this is exactly what he told me, he said I can make my decision after he find that guy.
Rebel Yell (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 02:33 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell

The best answer IMO. Thank you.

Yes this is exactly what he told me, he said I can make my decision after he find that guy.
Well then you are in good hands. I would do as Rebel Yell indicated. Good luck.
Rebel Yell (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 02:44 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

When you sell or trade a used car, invariably among the first questions asked is if it has ever been involved in a wreck. If the Carfax is clean are you going to lie about it?

My suggestion would be to let the cops do their job.

All that aside, sorry to hear of your misfortune and I hope it all works out regardless of how you choose to go.

Last edited by TyBoo; 03-29-2018 at 02:51 PM.
spinkick (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Been There

I have been rear-ended SIX TIMES, yup, from a tap to being rear ended by an 18 wheeler doing 90 plus while I was doing 60.

The one most similar was being tapped by an older woman at a stop light while I waited. She turned right around and took off. It was night time and I got about half of her plate.

Long story short I turned to my own insurance company and the total was a wrecked rear fender with the quad tips bent downward on my 2007 C6 3lt.

I requested "diminished value" as well and since I had a thousand buck deductible we agreed to wave that to cover the diminished value (this was 2010). Replaced the rear bumper and paid the difference to get a better exhaust system ('bout 500 out of my own pocket).

In 2014 I traded it in on a '12 GS 3lt convertible and lost about 1700 bucks from the hit/diminished value.....

Get notified of new replies

To Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and run away.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Really good post by Rebel Yell!!! Yes, I hope when you take it to the shop the damage is slight. But, do yourself a favor and just stay on top of the officer looking for the other driver. Otherwise, he could get his front bumper fixed and there'd be no visible evidence he hit you. If it is possible, you want the officer to say, "I saw the other driver's car. It had damage."
Rebel Yell (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 11:17 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

So, if it doesnt show up on carfax and someone asks about it, are you going to say nothing?

Like mom and dad say, Two wrongs dont make a right
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'm surprised the officer seems more concerned with what may show up on your C7's Carfax than writing up a criminal report to perhaps aid in catching and punishing the 'hit & run' driver.
Less work for him and it was BS because the insurance payment to a body shop is the trigger the car fax not his report
frankb (03-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and run away.