C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and run away.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:42 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

the last damn thing I would be concerned about is Carfax....hit and run with property damage is a felony.....and your neck may hurt now that he left the scene...
seriously though...you need to follow this through
Old 03-30-2018, 01:12 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Less work for him and it was BS because the insurance payment to a body shop is the trigger the car fax not his report
Correct, it's insurance companies who report to CarFax, not body shops, who hate CarFax. The fear of an accident history report saves them from a significant number of minor damage claims, so insurance companies are religious about reporting. Paying a body shop out of your own pocket almost never results in a report.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-30-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:35 AM
wst1101
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Correct, it's insurance companies who report to CarFax, not body shops, who hate CarFax. The fear of an accident history report saves them from a significant number of minor damage claims, so insurance companies are religious about reporting. Paying a body shop out of your own pocket almost never results in a report.
Carfax also collect informations from police report isn't it? The guy doesn't have a insurance and I have deductible, Im not going to use the insurance anyway. My biggest concern is the police report.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 AM
wst1101
Advanced

I took the car to a body shop tonight, and I will be informed about the damage tomorrow. I haven't get a phone call from the officer yet.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Jax21
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a bit of advice on worrying about losing money because it shows up on the Carfax. Go after his insurance and ask for a diminished value check. Find a similar car to yours with a reported accident and get a check for the difference.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:01 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
this is why we need a wall
I still got in. I came over the north border. You can't stop us... invaded by hordes of poutine eaters driving Pontiacs with Chevy motors.

That aside, I'd think filing a criminal hit and run is the right thing to do and shouldn't trigger a carfax. I'm pretty sure it's the claim and repair that trigger that.

So the question is, does Carfax collect anything from police reports? Do the public reports even have VINs, etc?

Last edited by davepl; 03-30-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:20 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Absolute BS AND FALSE, are you attempting to serve a political cause.

blah blah blah
You are obviously confused. This is the C7 forum. Please take it to the politics forum.

Last edited by DWillys; 03-30-2018 at 11:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DWillys:
beilwing (04-10-2018), BlueFinn (03-31-2018), PuckDracon (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 11:41 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Down here in Florida, the hit and run is what usually occurs. But now they are learning a new twist. My son got into a fender bender a few weeks ago. The two girls were super hot and he did NOT call the cops - dumba$$. They could not speak any English except "no Policia". He took pictures of all their IDs, registration and insurance, car plates. Reported to our insurance and they were all fake.

Damn right we need our wall.
I just can't stop thinking about what a wall built around the coastline of Florida is going to do to the valuation of all that beachfront real estate.

SMH.

Last edited by UsernameProtected; 03-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UsernameProtected:
PuckDracon (03-31-2018), TucsonJer (04-09-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by wst1101
Alright, a officer just came. He said it would probably show on the carfax if he wrote a report. I refused and I guess I am going to repair it by myself.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Having your "baby" damaged thru no fault of your own hurts like hell (I should know ).

FWIW, I think you are probably doing the right thing.
Insurance companies HATE accident reports and proof it by upping their rates.
Pursuing this guy for damages probably will be way more trouble than it's worth and likely won't make you whole anyway.
If there is a silver lining it is it doesn't appear repairs will cost you an arm and a leg.
Hope your luck changes now.
The following users liked this post:
wst1101 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Less work for him and it was BS because the insurance payment to a body shop is the trigger the car fax not his report
Now, now, respectfully, lets' be fair to the Officer. If the OP ask if the accident would show up on CarFax, the Officer just gave him an answer. The OP also told the Officer he didn't want to make a report, so what is the Officer suppose to do after that? A Police Officer probably has only about 25 things going on at one time, and isn't going to put a lot of time into an investigation that the victim doesn't want.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to disrespect anyone's opinion, and am certainly not trying to start an argument.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
Baltimoron (03-30-2018), mdb917 (03-31-2018), wst1101 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 04:48 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Having your "baby" damaged thru no fault of your own hurts like hell (I should know ).

FWIW, I think you are probably doing the right thing.
Insurance companies HATE accident reports and proof it by upping their rates.
Pursuing this guy for damages probably will be way more trouble than it's worth and likely won't make you whole anyway.
If there is a silver lining it is it doesn't appear repairs will cost you an arm and a leg.
Hope your luck changes now.
Yep, that's why I hate CARFAX. When you buying a car it won't tell you everything, but once you have met something like that, you will worry about if it will show on the carfax. Although I know pursuing that driver is definitely the right thing to do, I have to do my own math in case it lost me more money.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM
wst1101
Advanced

Some folks asked if I will lie about the damage when I sell my car in the future. I will not because the diffuser is going to be replaced by CF part. The damage on the replaced plastic diffuser won't influence the value in my opinion. Also, that's not what I am worrying about as a owner or even think it from a buyer's perspectives. Buyers will check the carfax record and they don't want the car has accident record as well. The thing that really bothers is the record.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM
wst1101
Advanced

By the way, I regret not having a dash camera, anyone has suggestions? I don't want another accidents without evidence and become words against words.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:34 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Just a FYI, diminished value claims are not allowed by many states so find out your state laws around it.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Some folks asked if I will lie about the damage when I sell my car in the future. I will not because the diffuser is going to be replaced by CF part. The damage on the replaced plastic diffuser won't influence the value in my opinion. Also, that's not what I am worrying about as a owner or even think it from a buyer's perspectives. Buyers will check the carfax record and they don't want the car has accident record as well. The thing that really bothers is the record.
I would take some pictures of the damage beforehand with an eye towards being able to explain the damage to any future perspective buyers. I think most potential buyers are getting wise to how this Carfax thing sort of distorts the reality of what happened. Your car is barely even damaged from the way it sounds.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and ran away.

Ok I just got another headache. I was the first car and waiting for the traffic lights. An explorer hit the rear of my car. .... Then the guy just ran away after I got in my car. I called cop in the plaza and gave them all the information.... I am worry about that if the police write a report, the accident will probably show on the carfax, which will diminish the value of my car. If I decide to "repair" or "replace" it by myself, I will feel really unfair because the guy who hit and run does not get the punishment. It seems either way I will lost some money... Any suggestions?
I have a couple of situations where one of my cars (not one of my Vettes, thank goodness) was hit by another driver. One was a young man with his mother as a passenger. Another was an officer from the local airstation near me. Both times, the damage was minor, requiring replacing trim and repainting in one case; requiring replacement and repainting of a rear body panel in the other case.

My only concern in either situation was to get my car repaired. And the other drivers said they would pay for the cost of repair, one specifically asking that I did not file a police report or turn it in to my insurance company. I said, "No problem, I just want to get my car fixed." We exchanged driver information and insurance information at the time of the accident, so I had everything I needed to file a report later, if necessary.

So I got estimates in each case, and fortunately for me, they both kept their word and paid for the repairs.

However, if either of them had reneged for payment, or worse, as in your case, skipped out on me, then I would have followed up with a police report as well as a claim to my insurance company. Should be no need for you to pay for damage that someone else caused.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

FWIW, I would instruct the police to find & prosecute this dirt bag, If you get paid for the damages, even better

Get notified of new replies

To Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and run away.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
this is why we need a wall
Intelligent comment you Trump'er. Go crawl under a rock until you gain more intelligence.

A wall doesn't stop an idiot from any walk of life that runs from a wreck (with or without insurance). In my area it would be an idiot rich teenager.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:00 PM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Intelligent comment you Trump'er. Go crawl under a rock until you gain more intelligence.

A wall doesn't stop an idiot from any walk of life that runs from a wreck (with or without insurance). In my area it would be an idiot rich teenager.
You must be living under a rock. In Florida the FHP has hit/run squads dedicated to apprehending drivers due to the numbers of accidents where the driver runs. I have seen FHP and Sheriff cars chasing them from multiple car accidents. Neighbor is a detective, says driver is either illegal, no license or insurance, or has a brick in the trunk.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:00 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
FWIW, I would instruct the police to find & prosecute this dirt bag, If you get paid for the damages, even better
The prosecutor decides what to do with information the police provide. All OP can do is make the report to police.

BTW, if this person ran and then claimed OP caused the accident she has minimal credibility. (If she wasn't at fault, why would she run?)

The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Okay, I just got rear ended. The party at fault does not have insurance and run away.