C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on trading in my '14 for new 17, 18, or 19, wait for '20 new model C8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

I would wait on the C8 before doing anything. Its a no brainer.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:27 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't wait..for a number of reasons. There is no guarantee that the C8 will come out anytime soon. Even if it does, allocations for the C8 will be booked out over two years is my guess. We already know the C8 will initially be a limited production vehicle (that's if it ever gets produced). If you do get an allocation slot the dealerships will be significantly increasing the cost for said slot. Plus the fact that the C8 will be a totally new vehicle. However, I have confidence in the fact that GM will..hopefully..get it right the first time.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:48 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Currently on my 42nd month's of outstanding ownership of my '14 vert Z51. Paid off, Daily driver, but Only has 17,000 wonderful miles, vert down 98% of the time. Love the color combo: Night Race Blue & Kalahari, since the dark blue metallic blends in well with the black bottom rear, & similar to my previous dark blue metallic C5 vert. Have GM's extended warranty out to 84 months.

Been getting monthly offers from numerous Houston area (out of state also) Chevy dealers about their special deals on leftover '17s, 18s, & now new '19s. Some great discounts on those new C7s, but hate the dreaded trade-in shock to my '14's value. Plus it'll get worse with each month.

So either I need to pull the trigger soon, wait til new model '20/C8, or keep & drive it til I squeeze max value out of it or til dies 10 - 15 yrs later, like my previous Mustangs & BMWs...
What is your current trim level? As mentioned, you might want to experiment with a C7 Grand Sport or Z06 this time around.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
A8 > M7 in terms of acceleration.

Just sayin’...

Very true. However M7 > A8 on the highway, not to mention how much more enjoyable the M7 is to drive.

Before you say I'm ridiculous, I've owned both. The A8 is pretty sweet and I liked it, but its just not an M7. It's so close that if I were to buy a new Vette and found the color and options I was looking for specifically I would overlook the M7 or A8 and buy either one.

I think I'm going to wait on the A10 though for my next Vette

yes yes I just contradicted myself 8 times didn't I ?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I went thru the same dilemma when I was thinking of trading my C6 for either a C6 Grand Sport or wait for the C7. The dealers had great offers and incentives and I was sorely tempted. But I waited and got a 2014 Stingray instead. Yes it was a big PITA to get one then and get a decent price at all, but I did ! The nice thing is if you wait for a C8 you'll have a car that looks new for the life of your ownership. Just my advise and make sure you check out Forum sponsor dealers. That's what I did. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I just did the same thing, traded a completely trouble-free '14 Z51, M7, convertible for an identically-equipped '18. It made absolutely no rational sense to do that, and I was perfectly cognizant of that. I went back and forth between my logical side and my emotional side for many weeks before deciding to place an order.

The only reason I did it was my particular affinity for the new Sebring Orange, which is almost identical to a shade of orange I've fixated on since I was a teenager. Sports cars are emotional purchases and rationality doesn't factor into the decision equation. Having said that, I do appreciate the subtle upgrades over 5 MYs.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Buying a Corvette and an engagement ring are both done on emotion and passion.

If you have the itch & the coin,go for it.

\db2
Old 03-30-2018, 10:52 AM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Go for it. Like is too short. Consider an upgrade to a Z06!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Superstar555
C8 = Auto Tranny Only = NO SALE!

Might as well get a minivan IMO.
lol. Love my M7 but this is funny. If they do away with the manual I hope they go with a DCT.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Currently on my 42nd month's of outstanding ownership of my '14 vert Z51. Paid off, Daily driver, but Only has 17,000 wonderful miles, vert down 98% of the time. Love the color combo: Night Race Blue & Kalahari, since the dark blue metallic blends in well with the black bottom rear, & similar to my previous dark blue metallic C5 vert. Have GM's extended warranty out to 84 months.

Been getting monthly offers from numerous Houston area (out of state also) Chevy dealers about their special deals on leftover '17s, 18s, & now new '19s. Some great discounts on those new C7s, but hate the dreaded trade-in shock to my '14's value. Plus it'll get worse with each month.

So either I need to pull the trigger soon, wait til new model '20/C8, or keep & drive it til I squeeze max value out of it or til dies 10 - 15 yrs later, like my previous Mustangs & BMWs...
You have a very nice car. Virtually indistinguishable between a 2019. I'd wait for the C8 and decide then. You'll have the option to the get the "latest and greatest" (C8), or a better deal on a left over 2019, or you can keep your trouble free 2014.

FWIW compare trade in values between years (2014-2015-2016) and you'l find the $pread to be not as great a you think

Consider selling your 2014 privately if the trade in offer is exceptionally low, as there is likely to be a decent market for an A6 2014.

If I were looking for pre-owned C7, I'd be looking for a low mileage, well maintained 2014 automatic.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Tom E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to see a picture of your NRB Corvette. Sounds beautiful.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Unless you have a burning desire for a GS or Z06 I would enjoy the 2014 Vert you have. Save some bucks each month and be prepared if the C8 hits all your buttons.
Here are my plans (blessed off on by my dear bride). I see no need to trade my C7 for another C7 as they are essentially the same car. I'm going to wait on the C8, and if I don't like it I'll trade for the last year of the C7.

Now, don't anyone tell my dear bride this. If it's the last year of the C7 it will probably be a Z06.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-30-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:45 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
A8 > M7 in terms of acceleration. Just sayin’...
Everyone knows that, and yet a goodly percentage of people still want a manual. If how fast you go fast is the most important thing to you, I guess your decision is obvious, but if that is not the most important metric to choosing a Corvette, it hardly matters at all. There are plenty of cars that are faster, if that's what you want, but most people do not track their Corvettes, nor are they going to race you to the next stoplight. In practical terms, the fact that you can go fast faster in an auto is meaningless.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker

Buying a Corvette and an engagement ring are both done on emotion and passion.

If you have the itch & the coin,go for it.

\db2
Maybe so in late teens/early twenties. After that I suspect that most people also are carefully considering the pros and cons--even if they feel in love.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM
markc7
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait for the C8.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Love the color combo: Night Race Blue & Kalahari, since the dark blue metallic blends in well with the black bottom rear, & similar to my previous dark blue metallic C5 vert. Have GM's extended warranty out to 84 months.

You have the color combo I want!! Unless GM decides to put that color on a GS. Hold out for 2 more years and call me in Dallas!! You will barely be over 20k miles at that point.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I just did the same thing, traded a completely trouble-free '14 Z51, M7, convertible for an identically-equipped '18. It made absolutely no rational sense to do that, and I was perfectly cognizant of that. I went back and forth between my logical side and my emotional side for many weeks before deciding to place an order.

The only reason I did it was my particular affinity for the new Sebring Orange, which is almost identical to a shade of orange I've fixated on since I was a teenager. Sports cars are emotional purchases and rationality doesn't factor into the decision equation. Having said that, I do appreciate the subtle upgrades over 5 MYs.
This is so true! It's why they can charge so much money for a car that is almost completely useless for everyday life.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on trading in my '14 for new 17, 18, or 19, wait for '20 new model C8?

Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Default You’ve just argued FOR an A8

Originally Posted by mschuyler
, but if that is not the most important metric to choosing a Corvette, it hardly matters at all. There are plenty of cars that are faster, if that's what you want, but most people do not track their Corvettes, nor are they going to race you to the next stoplight. In practical terms, the fact that you can go fast faster in an auto is meaningless.
Why, if you’re not tracking/racing nor driving aggressively on the street (Thank You for that by the way) ... would you want to row gears going from point A to point B - especially in day to day TRAFFIC?! I remember my very last car with a manual (06 GTO) and how I tired of shifting from 1 to 3 to 4 and back to neutral going from a stop to maybe 40mph - 30 times or more just moving along in traffic, during my daily commute. I’ll NEVER own another manual transmission.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
with apologies to Cool Hand Luke.

Relax, get your favorite beverage, play some mellow tunes, smoke 'em if you got 'em and take a walk out to the garage and look at that loyal trouble-free companion of 4 years. Costing you nothing more than a smile. How you gonna top that perfection with another one, same as this one, but with an unknown and less warrantied future?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:31 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Why, if you’re not tracking/racing nor driving aggressively on the street (Thank You for that by the way) ... would you want to row gears going from point A to point B - especially in day to day TRAFFIC?! I remember my very last car with a manual (06 GTO) and how I tired of shifting from 1 to 3 to 4 and back to neutral going from a stop to maybe 40mph - 30 times or more just moving along in traffic, during my daily commute. I’ll NEVER own another manual transmissin.
Frankly, I don't think about it. Not only does it not bother me, I hardly know it is happening, traffic notwithstanding. The only time I think about it is in 6th or 7th, which I've not encountered before and are not quite as intuitive. The only issue I have is when driving my CTS VSport. I have to consciously remind myself to NOT push in the clutch 'cause it is not going to work.

Last edited by mschuyler; 03-30-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on trading in my '14 for new 17, 18, or 19, wait for '20 new model C8?