Sponsored by:

Range AFM Disabler...Butter Butter Butter Butter Butter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I started using the Range in my 2016 Z06 when it still had the software version where you needed to switch it off before starting to avoid a random communications error between the TCM and ECM and even with that added annoyance it was still much better than dealing with the issues from AFM/V4 operation. With the current version of the Range module this added bother has been taken away so you can simply plug it in and forget about it.

The slight decrease in fuel mileage is a far better trade-off than the hassle of dealing with torque converter issues and the collateral issues that come from having your car taken apart to replace the torque converter. For many people the new friction modified fluid will mask the problem for some time but it is like treating a brain tumor with aspirin because the friction modified fluid only masks the effects from the converter clutch wear that occurs during sustained V4 mode operation and there have already been several posts on the board from people who are now having the problem reappear after having a good experience for a few thousand miles with the new fluid. Basically GM is doing the same thing unscrupulous used car dealers used to do; putting "magic mouse milk" into one of the components of a used car to mask the issue long enough to transfer ownership of the problem to another individual. I am surprised there isn't a TSB to add sawdust to quiet those warbling differentials because according to articles this worked pretty well for used car sellers back in the 1930s to quiet a noisy rear axle

My 2016 Z06 was my 15th new GM vehicle purchased since 1985 but it will be my only one with AFM. I just purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali but it is diesel equipped so it doesn't have the V4 mode goofiness. The upcoming replacement for my 2014 Cadillac ATS will very likely be my first non-GM new car purchase in many years because after dealing with the inadequately sized cooling system of the Z06 and the issues of AFM I am ready to leave the GM family for my next purchases. Fortunately shudder and the other outcomes from AFM don't provide significant safety issues like the faulty ignition switch problem but the initial response by GM has been largely the same in trying to put a bandage on the symptoms rather than solve the underlying problem. The high failure rate of the touch screen under high temperature conditions used for the Cadillac CUE system in my ATS and many other Cadillac models has been known for years yet GM has continued to use the same flawed component as an in warranty replacement and for continuing production just as a true fix for the 8L90 torque converter or the Z06 cooling system has been ignored while year after year of production continues. That is a corporate culture, NOT an engineering issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
Jeffer (08-10-2018), joemessman (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I started using the Range in my 2016 Z06 when it still had the software version where you needed to switch it off before starting to avoid a random communications error between the TCM and ECM and even with that added annoyance it was still much better than dealing with the issues from AFM/V4 operation. With the current version of the Range module this added bother has been taken away so you can simply plug it in and forget about it.

The slight decrease in fuel mileage is a far better trade-off than the hassle of dealing with torque converter issues and the collateral issues that come from having your car taken apart to replace the torque converter. For many people the new friction modified fluid will mask the problem for some time but it is like treating a brain tumor with aspirin because the friction modified fluid only masks the effects from the converter clutch wear that occurs during sustained V4 mode operation and there have already been several posts on the board from people who are now having the problem reappear after having a good experience for a few thousand miles with the new fluid. Basically GM is doing the same thing unscrupulous used car dealers used to do; putting "magic mouse milk" into one of the components of a used car to mask the issue long enough to transfer ownership of the problem to another individual. I am surprised there isn't a TSB to add sawdust to quiet those warbling differentials because according to articles this worked pretty well for used car sellers back in the 1930s to quiet a noisy rear axle

My 2016 Z06 was my 15th new GM vehicle purchased since 1985 but it will be my only one with AFM. I just purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali but it is diesel equipped so it doesn't have the V4 mode goofiness. The upcoming replacement for my 2014 Cadillac ATS will very likely be my first non-GM new car purchase in many years because after dealing with the inadequately sized cooling system of the Z06 and the issues of AFM I am ready to leave the GM family for my next purchases. Fortunately shudder and the other outcomes from AFM don't provide significant safety issues like the faulty ignition switch problem but the initial response by GM has been largely the same in trying to put a bandage on the symptoms rather than solve the underlying problem. The high failure rate of the touch screen under high temperature conditions used for the Cadillac CUE system in my ATS and many other Cadillac models has been known for years yet GM has continued to use the same flawed component as an in warranty replacement and for continuing production just as a true fix for the 8L90 torque converter or the Z06 cooling system has been ignored while year after year of production continues. That is a corporate culture, NOT an engineering issue.
Guessing your ATS is a 3.6, or you'd be more upset after dealing with blown up 2.0T motors....(mine was rebuilt 2x and replaced the 3rd time).
Best handling, most fun to drive, least reliable car I ever owned, and I've owned some junk
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Guessing your ATS is a 3.6, or you'd be more upset after dealing with blown up 2.0T motors....(mine was rebuilt 2x and replaced the 3rd time).
Best handling, most fun to drive, least reliable car I ever owned, and I've owned some junk
Mike,
Was your 2.0T one of the early ones? I wonder how much of the initial problem was made worse by the GM wording allowing the use of 87 octane in a forced induction motor.

I do have the 3.6. I liked it in my 2008 CTS so it was an easy order decision for the 2014.

The ATS does have great handling and is the perfect size for me. Mine did have multiple trips to the dealer in the first 500 miles for a CEL. It came factory equipped with a cracked evaporative emissions storage cannister and before the dealer finally got it right it was in 5 times total for four purge valves, a replacement of the cannister (the root cause) and a final replacement of all of the evaporative emissions systems lines along with one more purge valve because of carbon from the damaged storage cannister staying in the original lines. Nothing beats the level of dealer technician belief in coincidences (as in somehow we got three bad replacement purge valves in a row).

I always got a sarcastic laugh out of the previous Cadillac division head talking about the great Cadillac dealer experience although at least the coffee in the waiting area was decent and I got the opportunity to drink a lot of it.

Last edited by NSC5; 08-01-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Mine was a 13, yes.
I never, ever, put 87 in it, and it still liked to kill itself

Also had 2 CUE units replaced due to delaminating.

First motor rebuild lasted less than 5K miles....dealer techs, lol

I'm in a 17 Charger Scat Pack now...the polar opposite of the ATS, but couldn't be happier.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
I'm in a 17 Charger Scat Pack now...the polar opposite of the ATS, but couldn't be happier.
Mike , you have crossed over to the Dark Side lol lol
Dave
Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Mike , you have crossed over to the Dark Side lol lol
Dave
Yes, but in his case,it sounds like for the better!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
If it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape.
And the corollary

If it doesn't move and it should - WD40.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Those were the two principles my Grandmother lived by.

By the way and back on topic of this old thread, my Range has been flawless since updating to v8.6 in June . Sorry again for dredging up an oldie - it was a link in a newer thread that I followed.:
Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM
daveven
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Just ordered one for my 2019 . Just to be sure before I get it that Gm will not be able to tell that it was at some point it was plugged into my vehicle ? Don't want any warranty issues.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

No issues...
Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by daveven
Just ordered one for my 2019 . Just to be sure before I get it that Gm will not be able to tell that it was at some point it was plugged into my vehicle ? Don't want any warranty issues.
I can assure you with almost a 100 % confidence level that a using a Range Device or a Diablo to turn off AFM/DOD is undectectable

Dave
Old 10-01-2018, 12:48 AM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I can assure you with almost a 100 % confidence level that a using a Range Device or a Diablo to turn off AFM/DOD is undectectable

Dave
Dave, that's what I thought too. Then I received my September On-Star diagnostics email. In previous months, it contained the usual "No issues found". Wonder what changed? Was I driving when it uploaded data causing it to find something in the OBD port? Did they start checking the port? Anyone else get a report finding a device in OBD?

Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by EASonBASS
Dave, that's what I thought too. Then I received my September On-Star diagnostics email. In previous months, it contained the usual "No issues found". Wonder what changed? Was I driving when it uploaded data causing it to find something in the OBD port? Did they start checking the port? Anyone else get a report finding a device in OBD?

I had that once and it was caused by the Range I believe..... But that information is letting you know that On Star Diagnostics didn't complete. That is not information that you have had active fuel management disabled. That report could happen with any device plugged into the OBD port.
The following users liked this post:
EASonBASS (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Johnsz51
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my report Saturday after my drive and range was installed in my 2017 and report was all green except front tire pressure was low. So it didn't detect mine but I also don't use a paid subscription it's the free report they send you.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:16 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Just plugged mine in that i got for Christmas and took it for a short drive....nice
Old 12-25-2018, 07:20 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
Just plugged mine in that i got for Christmas and took it for a short drive....nice
I got one preowned from a forum member . Agree that it really seems to make thing better.

Quick Reply: Range AFM Disabler...Butter Butter Butter Butter Butter