Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport turns off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bankers1
In agreement here, a CAM problem ???? Makes no sense to me either. And yes if they want to R&R it take the front off and the Rad and do it that way.
No Chrysler is having the same stalling issues on the Pacifica minivan. What it is the timing magnets (cam position sensors) the cam gets out of sync and causes an engine stall. It can also be caused by the ecm not being able to determine where the cam position is because it’s not getting the proper pulse from the timing magnets and Volla! mass confusion of the BCM as to what plugs need to fire and boink..a stall.

Last edited by C5Driver; 03-31-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:49 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I would ask for some literature on your cam swap or what part a cam has to do with the Engine not starting.
Can't be the first?Well it's the 1st i can recall being here.
Gonna search in technical section,now.
Guessing on the 4cyl.activation system with the lifters.Must be a dead short draw on the battery while parked.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Old 03-31-2018, 01:22 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Yes please ask exactly how they arrived at this conclusion, because somthing is not making sense at all. I suppose it's possible there is a service bulletin. I would demand to see it if that's the case. It's also entirely possible the service advisor just dosent know how to explain this properly.

​​​​​​Frankly, to me, it sounds like a bad battery, or maybe a bad connection at the battery, and probably nothing else.

The service advisor yesterday over the phone said it was the cam and the engine would have to be removed. Just got back from the dealer and seems like you're right. I get a better explanation. The diagnostic is showing it's the cam position sensor. They're running a more checks to verify and believe it's either the camp position sensor or the sensor wiring. As it stands, they would only have to remove front end components to replace the sensor so the engine won't be removed. Each of the service reps that I've spoken with have assured me that the technician working my vehicle is highly qualified and extremely meticulous. I'm feeling much more confident with the technician and the service department at this point.

I did not get pictures of the vehicle in the shop but the shop is extremely clean and tidy which is a good sign and they seem to be taking very good care of the other vehicles from what I was able to observe during my visit. Hope they can fix this soon. Weather is finally clearing up here and I'm eager to get it home to do a foam wash and wax followed by a nice long cruise through the Adirondacks.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:04 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It's good to hear the engine doesn't have to come out. I hope they have your baby home soon, and you can enjoy the summer. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:44 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

All in all that's good news! We can all relax a little now.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by My First Vette
So as mentioned above, the service rep yesterday didn't explain it correctly. I went in this morning and was told that the it's looking like it's either the cam position sensor or the sensor wiring. They're running more diagnostics but are now telling me that the engine does not have to come out. Only some of the front end components will have to be removed to access the cam sensor & wiring.

Also, both yesterdays and today's service rep said the technician working my vehicle is highly qualified and very meticulous with his work. I feel much better with the update. Hoping they can get it fixed soon as the weather finally cleared here in the northeast. Eager to get it home for a foam hand wash and wax before taking it for a long drive through the Adirondacks.

I wasn't able to get pictures of the car in the shop. However, the place is extremely clean and from my observation they seem to be taking very good care of the other vehicles. I'll keep you all posted but as of right now the cam position sensor seems like the gremlin in this story.
OK good .... Now check out this guys youtube videos and tell me if its the same thing your car was doing.
Watch the first 50 second video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 03-31-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:07 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

OK good .... Now check out this guys youtube videos and tell me if its the same thing your car was doing.
Watch the first 50 second video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
That"s exactly what was going on with my corvette. Hopefully they'll fix it with the new cam sensor.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:20 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

That"s exactly what was going on with my corvette. Hopefully they'll fix it with the new cam sensor.
Ok cool. Thanks for looking at that.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

You gotta be kidding me ! The other thread got locked !

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 03-31-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:06 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just in case, I would keep a log of how long your car is in the shop each time (if more than once), and be double damn sure the paperwork from the dealer shows the correct dates in-out. Look up the lemon law standards in your state, hope you don't need them but be ready if needed.

Good luck, your car will probably be fine.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

You gotta be kidding me ! The other thread got locked !

That is odd.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:40 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
That is odd.
I thought so too.
It seems like if a few cam sensors are going to conk out prematurely, then people would want to know about that. Especially if it starts out as an intermittent condition.
Even if this ends up not being the cam sensor, it still makes sense to keep track of different "crank no fire" problems.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 04-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:02 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
That is odd.
that thread that got closed posted by the deranged BBBBBBBBBB poster if you listen to that engine when it was running it sounded horrible, like a bent fan blade rubbing on the radiator in the old days? wonder what that was about?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:24 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by smajicek
that thread that got closed posted by the deranged BBBBBBBBBB poster if you listen to that engine when it was running it sounded horrible, like a bent fan blade rubbing on the radiator in the old days? wonder what that was about?
I would bet a lot of money on that having been the starter dragging on the flywheel. Probably because someone just kept pushing the start button over and over again even when there was no chance of it firing up. Obviously that's speculation on my part, but it sounds exactly like a starter dragging on the flywheel. Which sounds horrible in person, but really most of the time you just end up replacing the starter.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:48 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Latest update... Originally sales rep "A" said it was the battery and after charging it all was fine. After I expressed my concern, they kept the car for a day and it died on them during a test drive. Next, sales rep "A" told me it was a bad cam and they would have to pull the engine. Went I went in Saturday morning for clarification, sales rep "B" said it was a bad cam position sensor or wiring and they would remove a few front end components to repair the cam sensor. Finally, I called back this afternoon to see how long for the sensor repair but was told by sales rep "A" that it's a bad cam, they found metal shavings in the engine and bad thrust bearing(s). Today they started removing the engine and was told by sales rep "A" that they are trying to figure out if it's more cost effective FOR THEM to repair or replace the engine. He's researching parts now and doesn't have a timeframe. When I asked about a loaner car...."I don't have anything now, maybe tomorrow.
"

I baby this car so I know I didn't cause any of the damage.

Last edited by My First Vette; 04-02-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Your better off with a new engine.I wouldn't want Metal Shavings in my Bearings! They will never clean that block properly unless they Strip it and Soak it..

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport turns off while driving

Old 04-02-2018, 07:07 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Your better off with a new engine.I wouldn't want Metal Shavings in my Bearings! They will never clean that block properly unless they Strip it and Soak it..
I'm waiting for him to call tomorrow with an update but I don't believe I'll have the option of repair vs replace engine. It's all about what's best for them. How would you go about convincing them to install a new engine?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

I'm waiting for him to call tomorrow with an update but I don't believe I'll have the option of repair vs replace engine. It's all about what's best for them. How would you go about convincing them to install a new engine?
Why not? So,Metal Filings running threw your oil,into soft Bearing Material is OK?
Ask for free extended warranty if they will guarantee that metal in bearings won't hurt Engine Durability.

Last edited by DALE#3; 04-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
My First Vette (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:30 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Why not? So,Metal Filings running threw your oil,into soft Bearing Material is OK?
Ask for free extended warranty if they will guarantee that metal in bearings won't hurt Engine Durability.
I hear you and completely agree with the replacement engine vs repair. Planning on going in again tomorrow to talk in person and get to the bottom of this.

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport turns off while driving