Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 disaster

Old 03-31-2018, 12:54 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,544 Likes on 5,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
No, I would call a forced reduction of power on an interstate something much worse than a major pain in the ***.

I have a friend who is a motorcycle cop. He had just merged into traffic at 70 mph when the electronic throttle of his Harley put the system into FORCED IDLE. He was nearly killed and basically due to his exceptional riding skills avoided panicking or being hit.

So, disaster no, deathtrap yes.
You're being a little over dramatic as OP stated his Z51 going into reduced power mode, not that the breaks locking up.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-31-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by al's Florida
For the third consecutive time in the past 6 months my 2016 Z51 Coupe has gone to reduced power mode for no good reason. Each time I have had to limp home at speeds of 20-25 MPH hoping that I would not get run over by fast moving traffic. The problem is in the throttle linkage to the ECM and it has obviously baffled the local shop here in Florida because the car has been in the shop for 3 days and counting. I will soon be driving this disaster back to Canada and just hope and pray that it doesn't shut down on an interstate. In 50 plus years of driving I have never had such a disappointing car! Any suggestions?
Reduced power on mine is no power can't hardly move it!
Old 03-31-2018, 01:17 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
So, disaster no, deathtrap yes.
See now for me, deathtrap might cross the DT (Disaster Threshold) but maybe I'm just another one of those annoying whiny *** consumers GM hates to deal with in these cases.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:01 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

I will soon be driving this disaster back to Canada and just hope and pray that it doesn't shut down on an interstate. In 50 plus years of driving I have never had such a disappointing car! Any suggestions?
If car isn't under warranty, and or it's a Canadian car, you've got a real problem on your hands. Were said car to get totalled, somehow? Then at least you'd get credit of some sort and be rid of the car. If the miles are low, that's in your favor should the car get wasted, or even stolen. Accidentally, of course.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-31-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 AM
R8Z51
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

That is no good. I've had 3 C7s and they all have never left me stranded.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:51 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by R8Z51
That is no good. I've had 3 C7s and they all have never left me stranded.
That's spooky... what's the Readers' Digest version of the three failures?
Old 03-31-2018, 02:56 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

For the third consecutive time in the past 6 months my 2016 Z51 Coupe has gone to reduced power mode for no good reason. Each time I have had to limp home at speeds of 20-25 MPH hoping that I would not get run over by fast moving traffic. The problem is in the throttle linkage to the ECM and it has obviously baffled the local shop here in Florida because the car has been in the shop for 3 days and counting. I will soon be driving this disaster back to Canada and just hope and pray that it doesn't shut down on an interstate. In 50 plus years of driving I have never had such a disappointing car! Any suggestions?
Had a similar thing happen to me with a salvage BMW I picked up at auction back in the day. I think it was lik $3200 for a cosmetically pretty clean 328 that was 5 years old. Surprised that it actually ran fine, and had a nice little commuter car for about 2-3 months. Then, out of no where, one of the cylinders stops firing like it's supposed to. Still runs, just runs with a little engine wobble.

Towed it to the biggest BMW dealer in Charlotte - Hendrick. They had the car for two weeks (while I had to drive around in a new loaner x3 :up: ) Well, that was the only thing they did right, was offer up the loaner. They said the car was ready...picked it up, and got about a mile from the shop, and it was running worse than ever. Took it back and got the loaner again for another 2 weeks :up: They finally throw in the towel and can't figure it out despite having their shop foreman or whatever work on it himself.

So I get the busted car back, and figure I'll just cut my losses. Throw it on ebay, and sell it for what I bought it for. Guy says he wants to drive it back from NC to TX. and for me to have another shop look at it. I keep telling the guy he needs to tow it back, but the guy kept telling me to take it to a shop. So the closest one was a hole in the wall place. I mean a two car bay mechanic that looked like a 1948 gas station that survived a zombie apocalypse. Guy specializes in foreign cars - bmw, merecedes, etc. I drop the car off, and forget what I had to call him about, but called him an hour later. I asked how the car was doing. He sez, "Oh, running like a top, no problems whatsoever. Just got back from a test drive and she's ready to go"

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked him what the problem was......

....it was a pinched wire.

So multi-million dollar dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong with it for over a month. Take it to the dive bar of garages, and guy fixes it in under an hour for $120.

Moral of the story...check your wires and f the dealer

Anyways...like you said in your post...sounds like an electrical issue. If you can get the trouble code, it can tell you what sensor is firing the code. From there, you should be able to do some voltage checks on the sensor wire...that's how most sensors work (at least from the weekend'rs perspective)...you have a normal voltage and when that voltage get's too high or too low, the ecm recognizes that, and consults it's programming to decide what to do. Hopefully, it's just a bad sensor or broken wire. If it's a bad connection that cut's in and out...those can be a nightmare to track down.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:18 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Maybe try cleaning the throttle body connector? (Or replacing the throttle body)

Also I'd suggest getting one of those little blue tooth obd2 code readers that link to your phone. You can find them for like $20. Not only will this let you see the code, but you can also clear the code. This might get you out of reduced power mode long enough to finish your drive for the day. Definitely not going to solve your main issue but could get you out of "RPM" in a pinch

Last edited by 555ctsv; 03-31-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I agree , but a cheap code reader , that way if it does go into reduced power mode you can at least clear it .

Dave
Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 AM
BigRick1960
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

It's probably your EBCM. Same issues with my car. Took about a month to diagnose then another month or so waiting on the part to be built. It was a major pia and I started pursuing our lemon laws here in Oklahoma. I've had zero issues with the car since EBCM was replaced. If I recall correctly it's attached to the steering linkage and the entire linkage has to be replaced. 2015 Z51, A8
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRick1960
It's probably your EBCM. Same issues with my car. Took about a month to diagnose then another month or so waiting on the part to be built. It was a major pia and I started pursuing our lemon laws here in Oklahoma. I've had zero issues with the car since EBCM was replaced. If I recall correctly it's attached to the steering linkage and the entire linkage has to be replaced. 2015 Z51, A8
I'll presume EBCM is AAOYU.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 748 Posts

OP you might do a little planning (plan B) and locate a few Chevy dealers along your route to Canada. Good luck. You just might need a dealer who has a corvette tech who knows what he is doing. I have found some tech's are brilliant and others don't have a clue.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:31 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Besides my 2017 Z51 (2LT, M7), I have a 2017 Prius Prime (a plug in hybrid). The car was giving us messages like 'Hybrid System Not Working Right Get Service' etc. The car never really broke down, but these message were persistent. We bring it to the selling dealer. They scratch their heads. They call Toyota USA headquarters in Texas. They call Japan. This goes back and forth for 2 weeks. Finally Toyota files two engineers all they way from the factory in Japan to Newburgh, NY (about 60 miles NW of NY City) to sort out this car. And they DID finally figure it out - the A/C compressor was randomly sending voltage spikes through the hybrid inverter making the ECU errantly send these messages. New A/C compressor, new hybrid inverter and *poof* the car is fixed.

The whole time we had a 2018 Toyota Camry XLE to drive, we were hardly inconvenienced. I was very impressed both by the lengths Newburgh Toyota went to take care of us and even more so by what Toyota did. That's really how it should be. They should FIX your car and GO TO ANY LENGTH to fix it. That's how companies like Toyota GET those reputations for reliability, when their **** breaks they are VERY CONCERNED, and they act accordingly all the way to the very top. P.S., since we got the car back 3+ weeks ago, we have driven it at least 1000 miles, it does appear to be back to normal, they did fix it.

The parts alone were like $3000+, I figure the total money involved in all this, parts, labor, rental car for period probably amounted to like $5K retail, our out of pocket cost was zero point zero zero. I couldn't be a happier customer, they turned **** into ice cream in the most professional and impressive manner possible.

Cars are increasingly computerized, and I'm sure your Corvette is suffering such a malady. So what is GM DOING about this? Are they doing what Toyota did? Ask the dealer and the regional rep that question when you talk to them. Feel free to reference my story and have them contact me about how a service customer with a major issue SHOULD be treated by a dealer, but more importantly by the manufacturer.
I guess the Toyota engineers are rough and must be filed every once in a while.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 03-31-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
Maybe try cleaning the throttle body connector? (Or replacing the throttle body)

Also I'd suggest getting one of those little blue tooth obd2 code readers that link to your phone. You can find them for like $20. Not only will this let you see the code, but you can also clear the code. This might get you out of reduced power mode long enough to finish your drive for the day. Definitely not going to solve your main issue but could get you out of "RPM" in a pinch
I was thinking maybe the throttle body sensor may be bad. I had the same type of problem with the wife's car, and a new sensor was the fix.

OP, good luck. I hope they find your problem soon. I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:42 PM
al's Florida
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Disaster

Originally Posted by pewter99
where are you in Florida
Cape Coral
Old 03-31-2018, 07:43 PM
al's Florida
Advanced

cape Coral
Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM
al's Florida
Advanced

Default C7 Disaster

Originally Posted by patentcad
Besides my 2017 Z51 (2LT, M7), I have a 2017 Prius Prime (a plug in hybrid). The car was giving us messages like 'Hybrid System Not Working Right Get Service' etc. The car never really broke down, but these message were persistent. We bring it to the selling dealer. They scratch their heads. They call Toyota USA headquarters in Texas. They call Japan. This goes back and forth for 2 weeks. Finally Toyota files two engineers all they way from the factory in Japan to Newburgh, NY (about 60 miles NW of NY City) to sort out this car. And they DID finally figure it out - the A/C compressor was randomly sending voltage spikes through the hybrid inverter making the ECU errantly send these messages. New A/C compressor, new hybrid inverter and *poof* the car is fixed.

The whole time we had a 2018 Toyota Camry XLE to drive, we were hardly inconvenienced. I was very impressed both by the lengths Newburgh Toyota went to take care of us and even more so by what Toyota did. That's really how it should be. They should FIX your car and GO TO ANY LENGTH to fix it. That's how companies like Toyota GET those reputations for reliability, when their **** breaks they are VERY CONCERNED, and they act accordingly all the way to the very top. P.S., since we got the car back 3+ weeks ago, we have driven it at least 1000 miles, it does appear to be back to normal, they did fix it.

The parts alone were like $3000+, I figure the total money involved in all this, parts, labor, rental car for period probably amounted to like $5K retail, our out of pocket cost was zero point zero zero. I couldn't be a happier customer, they turned **** into ice cream in the most professional and impressive manner possible.

Cars are increasingly computerized, and I'm sure your Corvette is suffering such a malady. So what is GM DOING about this? Are they doing what Toyota did? Ask the dealer and the regional rep that question when you talk to them. Feel free to reference my story and have them contact me about how a service customer with a major issue SHOULD be treated by a dealer, but more importantly by the manufacturer.
Thanks for relating your experience with Toyota. When I get talking to GM I will be referencing your story. Toyota earned their creds. I thought that GM had come of age but we will see. Al Truscott atruscott@Hotmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 disaster