Sponsored by:

Am I allowed to buy this Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:25 PM
gbjerke
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

Default La La land

California....beautiful state but run by the looney left. Reminds me of my locale, Illinois, also run but the libs/libtards a/k/a Chicago/Cook county. We are leaking population/business like hell wouldn't have it to all adjoining states and our legislature is like Cal. Their mantra seems to be, "we are not over spending, rather we are falling short on income." As my buddy Homer would say, "DOH".
A very few counties elect these morons and the rest of the state is sunk.
Gotta admit though, CA supplies me with the most ignorant/idiotic politicians who actually provide a bit of humor, witness Pelosi, Feinstein and the QUEEN OF IDIOCY.....Maxine!
Just wonder if we could give So Cal to secede? That would turn this nirvana around for damn sure.
The following users liked this post:
FunDriver (04-04-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
For your peace of mind I suggest you call your local DMV to get the info right from the horses mouth. If there is a 7500 miles requirement I'm like the other folks. ROAD TRIP
Great chance to really get to know the car in the process.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I'm confused about the political comments.

Plenty of dumb laws passed by all politicians in all places. So the comments are unwarranted.

The question I have is this a sales tax issue or an emissions issue? I'm sure there is a way to register the car regardless. People buy things in other states everyday.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

Thank god I don't live in that state.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I've read that all of the C7s are 50 state compliant, even without the particular California code. May want to press them if you do not get the answer you want.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...fvr29/!ut/p/a1
Old 04-02-2018, 11:09 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Hold your horses there. The car must be at least 1 year old from the date of purchase AND have 7500 miles on it.

Yes cali is an awful state, I lived there for 58 years before i was able to escape. I dealt with these stupid cali laws and corvettes for many years.

So buyer beware, 1 year AND 7500 miles. Yes it must pass smog in cali and it must have a vin verification either by AAA if you are a member or by the dmv!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

It's my understanding that the 7500 mile limit determines whether the car is considered "New" or not. If fewer than 7500 miles when purchased it is considered new and must be CA certified. If over 7500 miles it is used and does not require the designation.

However, all cars purchased out-of-state must pass a smog check whether brand new or not. You will also have to take it to DMV where they will verify the CA smog certification under the hood.

Have you seen the smog cert under the hood or could you have the seller send you a copy? I recently purchased a C7 from Idaho and think I read somewhere that all C7's were CA qualified. Also, it doesn't seem likely that someone in Nevada, if first purchased there, wouldn't have it CA qualified if for no other reason than for resale to someone next door in CA.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

OP I have sent you a pm and my cell number regarding your issue.

The issue is basically a penalty for you not buying your car within the state. It does not matter where you buy it for sales tax purposes because cali will collect tax on all purchases new or used regardless where you bought it.

The other issue is emissions. While all cars built for the US since 1996 have 50 state emissions, cali has wavered back and forth over the years about the actual emissions sticker. Some years they accept a sticker that says 50 state approved and other years they require a sticker to specifically state that it is CALIFORNIA approved. I suggest you NEVER accept someones word that the car is cali emissions approved. Many people do not know or don't care and just want to sell you the car. So, if the car is out of state have the owner take a pic of the emissions sticker which is on the passenger side edge of the hood. Raise the hood up, go the the pass side and look to find it. More recently cali has been accepting the C7 50 state sticker. The car must be able to pass an emissions test and a vin verification. If you purchase a used car and its older than 1 year and has over 7500 miles on it you may bring that car into cali and register it. But again, it must pass a smog emissions test. The car must also pass a visual inspection. NO headers, no emissions parts that do not have a CARB sticker or decal on it. I'm glad I'm in Az now.
The following 2 users liked this post by bearphoto:
Bassassin (04-03-2018), FunDriver (04-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Am I allowed to buy this Corvette?