C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Foy Toy
only permanent corral . no charge ever. hosted by the kettle moraine corvette club of Sheboygan , wi.
available any public weekend of the year.
ed foy
foytoy
2016 long beach red stingray convertible
fond du lac, wi
Did not know it's the only permanent corral. Driving in there the first time was a highlight of my Corvette experience. We have a caravan go from Illinois on race day.

Last edited by Carvin; 04-06-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added
Old 04-06-2018, 10:19 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been going to races at Road America since 1975 when I had my '69. At that time the Corral was on the straightaway near the start/finish line. It's a great time for the owners and I'm still surprised it's a free admission when I hear about Sebring and others that charge. This year I'll attend the IndyCar race in June and the IMSA races in August.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:56 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
this is 100% accurate for the IMSA race at Mid-Ohio................... still a great event/venue to attend, even if you don't take you 'Vette and park on the grass............

going to the Canadian IMSA race later this summer, and they haven't yet mentioned if there will be a Corvette Corral or not, as the infield there is much more "rolling hills" than the Mid-Ohio track.........
I'd pretty much say that there will be a Corvette Corral at CTMP (formerly Mosport), Ron Fellows is a co-owner of the facility, you don't get much more Corvette than Ron.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:19 AM
8SPD Z51
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I'd pretty much say that there will be a Corvette Corral at CTMP (formerly Mosport), Ron Fellows is a co-owner of the facility, you don't get much more Corvette than Ron.
Again, yes there is a Corvette Corral at CTMP....
Old 04-07-2018, 12:15 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Seems like every track EXCEPT Mid-Ohio will host a Corvette Corral.

That sucks.

Who arranges these get-togethers, anyway? The track? GM? A Chevy dealer?

Whoever it is, they really dropped the ball, here. I am very disappointed.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

$75 for the Road Atlanta Petit LeMans Corvette Corral 4-Day SuperTicket. The goodie bag at the tent includes a quart of Mobil 1 oil.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:33 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3

That sucks.

I asked Doug Fehan about this at the Corvette Corral at Sebring, during the Q&A. He was visibly stunned, and said that he honestly did not even know that there wasn't a Corvette Corral at Mid-Ohio. He went on to explain that when we buy tickets to a corral, we're buying them from the track, nor GM. He did say that the owner of Mid-Ohio is very profit oriented and may have had a better offer from some other party for the parcel where the Corvette Corral used to be. He also said he'd check into this and let everyone know (but I don't know how.....).

Last edited by cam30era; 04-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Some of the corrals are sponsored by a local Corvette Club. I know that this is the case at Watkins Glen. Rochester Corvette Club does a great job. The ticket includes parking right next to the track, food, drinks, raffles and of course a pass for 4 days to the track.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 04-09-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:28 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Seems like every track EXCEPT Mid-Ohio will host a Corvette Corral...
There’s a fantastic Corvette Corral at the Rolex 24 at Daytona!!! Primo infield parking, a great Hospitality Tent with snacks and drinks, presentations by Harlan Charles, Doug Fehan, Mobil, Michelin, etc., appearance by the team drivers for autographs, and raffles for some excellent prizes, the ticket includes parking for one Vette, tickets for 2 passengers, garage access during the race, and it’s just a really great experience.

Problem is - you can’t get a ticket unless you’ve bought one in previous years. I was lucky enough to get one about 15 years ago, so the Daytona Int’l Speedway ticket sales office has been calling me each year since then in about May or early June. All the people that have attended in the past buy up all the Corvette Corral tickets for the race the end of Jan the next year (a full 8 months away!!) and there aren’t any left for anybody else!!

The only other way I know of to get into the corral is to buy the MIM (Museum in Motion) package from the Nat’l Corvette Museum. It includes caravannig down several days in advance of the race and touring around the area to places like the Space Center, etc. it’s expensive, and I live here so I don’t need a tour of tourist sites in the area.

I expect a call in a month or so and will buy tickets for next January!!

And I’ll be running an HPDE on the Rolex 24 roadcourse Thurs-Fri this week - I LOVE my hometown track!!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-09-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM
DGA3
Drifting

All of the Corvette Corrals at all of the other tracks sound like a blast! I would pay whatever to participate.

Do you year that Mid-Ohio?

Last edited by DGA3; 04-09-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by cam30era
I asked Doug Fehan about this at the Corvette Corral at Sebring, during the Q&A. He was visibly stunned, and said that he honestly did not even know that there wasn't a Corvette Corral at Mid-Ohio. He went on to explain that when we buy tickets to a corral, we're buying them from the track, nor GM. He did say that the owner of Mid-Ohio is very profit oriented and may have had a better offer from some other party for the parcel where the Corvette Corral used to be. He also said he'd check into this and let everyone know (but I don't know how.....).
Thank you for looking into this - much appreciated.

And I hope that Doug Fehan finds some useful information and somehow lets us know what is going on!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 PM
13gt500
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i try to set-up a corvette corral back in oct 2017 for may2018 imsa race ;;stop by mid -ohio office in jan 2018 they told me both times they love to have us ;; they said they will get a hold of chevy it sounds like chevy drop the ball or imsa said no ;;;; if you have a handicap permit you can get into the infield free and any one in your car
Old 04-09-2018, 06:59 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 13gt500
i try to set-up a corvette corral back in oct 2017 for may2018 imsa race ;;stop by mid -ohio office in jan 2018 they told me both times they love to have us ;; they said they will get a hold of chevy it sounds like chevy drop the ball or imsa said no ;;;; if you have a handicap permit you can get into the infield free and any one in your car

I called Mid-Ohio today and talked with their ticket office. They blamed GM/Chevy for not sponsoring a Corvette Corral. Why? Why? Why?

There is a "generic" car corral, which I asked about (because it costs $30 in addition to the $55 cost of admission to the track and $30 to get into the infield). I wondered what the advantages of this were, and they did not really know. They said it was probably where all of the people with nice cars parked. I asked if the parking area was better, or paved, or if the was some sort of security for the "nicer" cars in the corral, and they said no. When I asked what the additional $30 paid for, they didn't have an answer.

For those who have driven their cars to Mid-Ohio before, what can you tell me? Is parking in the infield safe? Are there ruts and holes to worry about in the grass areas where you maneuver and park (that could damage a front splitter? Do race fans go around touching people's cars or sitting on them when the owners are not around? Does anybody have an idea where the "generic" car corral is located? (Mid-Ohio ticket office did not know).

All in all, I am very disappointed with the planning for, and organization of, this IMSA event.

Heck, maybe I'll just drive my wife's Toyota RAV4 to the race, save money, and have no worries.

What a shame. Up until now, I was very excited to attend this race, since I purchased a 2017 Z06 just a few months ago. I am also bringing my 20-year-old son, who has never been to the track before. I thought it would be such fun, but now, I'm pretty bummed about the whole situation.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I was looking at going to Watkins Glen this year but i don't see anything on their site that shows a Corvette Corral. Anyone know what's going on with this?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Go to the Rochester Corvette Club website.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Found it, don't know why i couldn't find it before.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Go to the Rochester Corvette Club website.
Hotel block is at Microtel in Bath.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?

Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
95ragtop
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default CTMP (Mosport) Corvette Corral

There is a Corvette Corral at CTMP (Mosport). Tickets are currently on sale. You can go to canadiantiremotorsportpark.com and order them under tickets, Corvette Corral. Or call them at 800 866-1072.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM
95ragtop
Racer

Default Corvette Corrals

Depends on the venue. GM hosts/subsidises most of the Corvette Corrals in the US. They did not add on Mid-Ohio this year and several individuals tried to make it happen .. but it became too cumbersome and too expensive. If the parking is $30 and the ticket is $30, then we had to add on the cost of the tent, TVs and cabling, food and drive. A case of water was extremely expensive.

Before you blame GM for dropping the ball, remember they have other commitments, with other series, and they need to be able to work with the track to set up corrals. Then they need to bring in their staff to set up and run the corral.

At VIR, a group of volunteers has been working with the track to make it happen. At CTMP we work with a Sponsor and the track to facilitate a Corvette Corral.

That sucks.

Last edited by 95ragtop; 04-12-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:38 PM
95ragtop
Racer

Default WG Corral run by GM

The Corvette Corral at Watkins Glen is sponsored by GM who subsidise the Corvette Corral. The Rochester Corvette Club and friends of theirs from the CanAm group volunteer to help out.

GM puts a lot of money and effort into this corral with a great team from Watkins Glen. The volunteers work hard to help make it such a success.

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Some of the corrals are sponsored by a local Corvette Club. I know that this is the case at Watkins Glen. Rochester Corvette Club does a great job. The ticket includes parking right next to the track, food, drinks, raffles and of course a pass for 4 days to the track.

Quick Reply: Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?