Sponsored by:

Range AFM disabler

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Received my new unit from Range today - - the "last one" with the blue LEDs. LOL

First of all I have to say that the customer service and follow-up on my order by Range is superb. I received the unit within two days of ordering on-line and they keep me informed as to the progress of the shipment every step of the way.

I plugged the unit in (took all of two seconds), it flashed the cool blue LEDs several times, and then I was good to go. I took the car out to make sure the stupid AFM was, in fact, disabled and so it was. The shifting in D was smooth and clean. I'll monitor for any problems with battery drain and CELs, but supposed these have all been rectified by the latest version - - as others on here have reported.

While I usual like driving using the paddles for shifting in M, I now have the ability to use full automatic shifting without having GMs nifty AFM feature screw-up my torque converter. I'll report back with any issues that may develop, but I think the unit is working as represented.

I have to say that Range Technologies is great to work with and their product seems to do its job.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 PM
robertlevine
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone have a coupon code for the Range AFM "$10 off plus free shipping?" I can't get it because I don't have facebook, but I'd love the discount!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

I bought one Tuesday and got the discount and free shipping, just enter "spring2018".
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 PM
robertlevine
Racer

Thanks. Just ordered mine. In Blue... so much for someone getting the last one
Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 PM
robertlevine
Racer

Oh... if I need an OBDII on/off switch, which should I buy?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by robertlevine
Oh... if I need an OBDII on/off switch, which should I buy?
You really do not need a switch with the newest Range. But I still have mine installed. How To: Range AFM Disabler – No More Parasitic Battery Drain via Relay in Cord
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
I currently have the SmartTop convertible module plugged into my OBD-II port, which I love.

Safe to assume there is no way to have 2 items plugged in at the same time in the OBD-II (AFM disabler + SmartTop)?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here's the answer that I received:
-----------------------
In regards to your question: The Range AFM Disable module must be installed full-time in order for the vehicle to no longer utilize the active fuel management. If the module is not installed, the vehicle will switch back and forth between V8 and V4 again.

If there is another accessory that is also using the OBD2 port full-time, it is possible to use a splitter but we normally do not recommend this, especially if the cable is of poor quality. We have heard of some cases where communication between the two devices (Range module and whichever other accessory) becomes "muddy" and either or may fail.

Not the end of the world since no damage is ever caused but the module and other accessory would need to be removed and reinstalled to reestablish a good line of communication.

This would really be the only drawback to using an OBD2 splitter/extension cable but there is also no telling with complete certainty if any issues will ever occur. Apologies for not having a more complete answer for you...
The following 2 users liked this post by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego:
NSC5 (04-16-2018), orca1946 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:04 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

So, first ride for the season. I installed the Range 8.6 this winter and this was the first time I tried it. Of the roughly 3000 miles on my 17 GS, probably only 10 to 20 were in auto. Drove with the paddles because I’m used to manuals in my previous Vets and I didn’t want to abuse the TC. I have to say that driving in auto with the Range, it’s like a different car. It worked perfectly as others have reported. Actually now, I’ll certainly spend more time in auto. If you haven’t taken the plunge, I highly recommend it.

In regards to the previous discussion. I installed a Y cable and a short extension switch cable for the Range (just in case I want to shut it down), so I have a Window Valet attached to the OBD-II port along with the Range and they both work properly.

Last edited by MichaelO; 04-18-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 04-18-2018, 03:11 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MichaelO

In regards to the previous discussion. I installed a Y cable and a short extension switch cable for the Range (just in case I want to shut it down), so I have a Window Valet attached to the OBD-II port along with the Range and they both work properly.
This is excellent news!! Thanks for confirming.
Do you have a link to the Y cable you purchased?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Here Ya go:

Switch:
Amazon Amazon

Splitter Cable:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252814447960

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by MichaelO; 04-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
05XLRtoC7_San Diego (04-18-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:04 AM
Brewskii
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range question

BE AWARE WHEN ORDERING THAT THIS ITEM IS NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR SHIPMENT TO CALIFORNIA VEHICLES. We have submitted approval for an Executive Order (E.O.) to CARB and are presently undergoing the required testing and hope to have an E.O. number soon! **

Can anyone give me exact detail on what this means? I live in California.. soo if I ship it to my house what will happen? Get a huge fine.. the feds will knock down my door and shoot me than plant a gun in my house? Like seriously.. not sure what this means.. but it allows me to ship to California if I want.. please help haha
Just bought a brand new 2018 RS v6 Camaro .. she flys like a butterfly and stings like a bee..
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Brewskii
6th Gear

it say's when I try and buy It ( BE AWARE WHEN ORDERING THAT THIS ITEM IS NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR SHIPMENT TO CALIFORNIA VEHICLES. We have submitted approval for an Executive Order (E.O.) to CARB and are presently undergoing the required testing and hope to have an E.O. number soon! ** )
what exactly does that mean ? I live in cali.. so ill get fined if they see it shipped to cali or some **** lol ?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Brewskii
6th Gear

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here's the answer that I received:
-----------------------
In regards to your question: The Range AFM Disable module must be installed full-time in order for the vehicle to no longer utilize the active fuel management. If the module is not installed, the vehicle will switch back and forth between V8 and V4 again.

If there is another accessory that is also using the OBD2 port full-time, it is possible to use a splitter but we normally do not recommend this, especially if the cable is of poor quality. We have heard of some cases where communication between the two devices (Range module and whichever other accessory) becomes "muddy" and either or may fail.

Not the end of the world since no damage is ever caused but the module and other accessory would need to be removed and reinstalled to reestablish a good line of communication.

This would really be the only drawback to using an OBD2 splitter/extension cable but there is also no telling with complete certainty if any issues will ever occur. Apologies for not having a more complete answer for you...

Hello, do you know if it is possible to ship to a California Address or will they just cancel it? Or will they ship it to me.. but the FEDS/ CARB shows up at my house lol ??

BE AWARE WHEN ORDERING THAT THIS ITEM IS NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR SHIPMENT TO CALIFORNIA VEHICLES. We have submitted approval for an Executive Order (E.O.) to CARB and are presently undergoing the required testing and hope to have an E.O. number soon! **
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Spice red Ed
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I ordered it from Range, they cancelled the order and said they could not ship the unit to California. I then ordered it from one of the authorized dealers listed on Range’s website, auto anything and received the unit the next day. I have used it for a month with no problems. So far the CARB has not knocked on my door or put me in jail.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 AM
Brewskii
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Spice red Ed
I ordered it from Range, they cancelled the order and said they could not ship the unit to California. I then ordered it from one of the authorized dealers listed on Range’s website, auto anything and received the unit the next day. I have used it for a month with no problems. So far the CARB has not knocked on my door or put me in jail.

Thanks man ! now I just need to make sure the Chip from autoanything will work on my v6 even though it says v8 Camaro ... -_-
Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM
plake
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Warranty with Range

Any chance this device could void warranty? Any signs of it being installed if it's removed? Just got a used C7 A8 with 5K miles.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:17 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

I was able to buy on eBay for $180 with no tax and free shipping to California.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332286675005

Get notified of new replies

To Range AFM disabler

Old 04-24-2018, 02:26 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 455 Likes on 342 Posts

When I get the car ---soon --- I will order. How long does the discount spring18 last for?
Old 04-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Spice red Ed
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I was able to buy on eBay for $180 with no tax and free shipping to California.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332286675005
Ebay is not an authorized dealer, I take this from the range website. I do not know if Range will update your software for free.
"
We Do Not Have Any Authorized Dealers On E-bay.

Be very cautious buying from e-Bay sellers as we have had reports of used/broken/out dated modules being sold. Unfortunately, as much as we’d like to help, the warranty is void and your only recourse is with the original seller.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM
teefrieson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are they currently running any discounts to forum members.

Quick Reply: Range AFM disabler